10 year old Frenchie lameness/swaying

JackFrenchie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Our 10 year old Frenchie developed a limp on one of his back legs a few months ago which came and went with differing lengths of walks and periods of rest in between them. His condition worsened and he began to sway when he walked and limp on both legs, he also became lethargic.

The vet suspected arthritis in the hips and/or nerve damage/compression in the spine as was tender and tight around the hips.

He went on a course of anti inflammatories which energised him again. This was followed by a course of gabopentin, which didn’t visibly change his condition. He is currently in his second week of a course of both medications together.

His back feet are now slower to respond and turn upright when placed upside down against the floor, which has furthered the vets suspicion that it is a neurological problem. Apart from this, his condition hasn’t noticeably changed since the first course of anti-inflams (which seemed to boost his energy). He is still swaying and stumbling on his back legs and dragging them when he gets tired. He doesn’t seem to be in pain, the tenderness/tightness around his hips has gone and his energy levels seem normal again.

The vet has advised us there are now 3 options available: physical therapy (hydro therapy, acupuncture and/or laser therapy), continued pain management medication or spinal surgery.

At his age (10) we’re concerned spinal surgery will be too traumatic for him, any thoughts on this?

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with their Frenchie? Or heard of a similar case/symptoms?

Any advice or thoughts on what you might do in this situation would be much appreciated.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
At 10, I probably would not do surgery.

Jax is 7 and was diagnosed with IVDD in 2017 and has had 3 surgeries for 2 different herniated discs in his neck. He also has the onset of arthritis as well. We do acupuncture once a month and laser therapy every couple of months. I also give cbd oil, turmeric paste, bone broth, green lipped mussel powder and another joint supplement. He had started limping and being stiff from the arthritis so I added in the turmeric paste. A few weeks ago I got lazy and didn’t make a fresh batch and after a couple weeks, he started limping again. Now he’s back on the turmeric paste and doing better.

All this to say if I were you, I’d definitely do acupuncture and laser therapy as well as some supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackFrenchie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I’ve just spoken to the vet and they recommend laser & hydro treadmill therapy back to back twice a week for 1 month. As they said it can take 8 sessions to get used to it and start seeing results. Did you you more sessions to begin with or start with once every couple of months?

The vet who is trained in acupuncture is away for 3 weeks so we can wait for him or look for another practice for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve also been in touch with a chiropractor, does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth a try as well as the laser & acupuncture?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I’ve just spoken to the vet and they recommend laser & hydro treadmill therapy back to back twice a week for 1 month. As they said it can take 8 sessions to get used to it and start seeing results. Did you you more sessions to begin with or start with once every couple of months?

The vet who is trained in acupuncture is away for 3 weeks so we can wait for him or look for another practice for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve also been in touch with a chiropractor, does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth a try as well as the laser & acupuncture?

We definitely did more frequent acupuncture and laser therapy at the beginning. I have seen a lot of Frenchie’s do the hydro treadmill as well. I personally would not do the chiropractor. You should definitely check with the vet on that one.

JackFrenchie

Reaction score
Ok thanks again. I’m waiting for a callback from the vet and will ask about chiro. Why wouldn’t you do it?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks again. I’m waiting for a callback from the vet and will ask about chiro. Why wouldn’t you do it?

I think sometimes it can cause more harm than good with a dog with spine/disc issues. Of course it will depend on the issues and why it’s best to discuss with a vet.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Citty gave you great information.... we have a similar issue with Cheli (age 9) and do laser therapy once a month, we did work our way to that as we did several a week and lessened till we got to once a month. Cheli still limps at times or drags his right back leg if I walk him too much, so we limit that exercise. Turmeric paste, bone broth and laser therapy

JackFrenchie

Reaction score
I think sometimes it can cause more harm than good with a dog with spine/disc issues. Of course it will depend on the issues and why it’s best to discuss with a vet.

Makes sense. Did you do the laser treatment on its own? Do you think the hydro treadmill would be worthwhile straight after?

JackFrenchie

Reaction score
Citty gave you great information.... we have a similar issue with Cheli (age 9) and do laser therapy once a month, we did work our way to that as we did several a week and lessened till we got to once a month. Cheli still limps at times or drags his right back leg if I walk him too much, so we limit that exercise. Turmeric paste, bone broth and laser therapy

Great, thanks for your input. As above, did you do the laser on it’s own? And do you think the hydro treadmill would be beneficial straight after?

JackFrenchie

Reaction score
Going to get him booked in for laser this week.

How much and how often should he have the bone broth & turmeric paste?

And is it best to ween him off the painkillers and anti inflammatory once the laser therapy has begun?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense. Did you do the laser treatment on its own? Do you think the hydro treadmill would be worthwhile straight after?

I do laser therapy in conjunction with acupuncture. Never done the hydro but have heard positive things about it. I give turmeric paste twice a day and bone broth maybe every other week or so along with other joint supplements.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to get him booked in for laser this week.

How much and how often should he have the bone broth & turmeric paste?

And is it best to ween him off the painkillers and anti inflammatory once the laser therapy has begun?

Agree with Citty.... I also have not done hydro, but hear great results from friends about it. Yes, ween off the meds while building on laser

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JackFrenchie

Reaction score
I do laser therapy in conjunction with acupuncture. Never done the hydro but have heard positive things about it. I give turmeric paste twice a day and bone broth maybe every other week or so along with other joint supplements.

Agree with Citty.... I also have not done hydro, but hear great results from friends about it. Yes, ween off the meds while building on laser

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He’s booked in for laser & hydro next Monday & Thursday. Will see how this goes and potentially add acupuncture when the vet who does it is back from his holidays. Turmeric & broth also arriving today.

Thank you both for your advice! Very very helpful.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
He’s booked in for laser & hydro next Monday & Thursday. Will see how this goes and potentially add acupuncture when the vet who does it is back from his holidays. Turmeric & broth also arriving today.

Thank you both for your advice! Very very helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted!