14-month old frenchie mix with sudden aggression?

Rachelle Letain

Reaction score
10177328_10152353145076882_1710900373_n.jpg

Hello!

We've had our french bulldog mix, Arrow, since she was 8.5 weeks old. She is now 14 months old. (Photo below!) My partner Mathew and I love her dearly - she is truly the light of our lives (we even post daily photos of her on an instagram account: instagram.com/theadventuresofarrow). We did everything we could right from day 1 to ensure Arrow would be a well-socialized dog. We took her to puppy socialization classes, spent tons of time in dog parks, and set up one-on-one dog-pal play dates for her. She has always seemed to love playing with other dogs, tended to be goofy and clumsy in her play, and for the most part we never had a problem with her... until recently.

In the last month or so, Arrow's demeanor at the dog park has changed. Now, nearly every visit there ends up with her getting into a squabble, and us having to leave. The dog park is no longer fun for everyone, as my partner and I are pretty anxious the whole time - wondering when something may go amiss. While Arrow is still great with her dog friends that she sees on the regular (the same ones she has been socializing with regularly since she was a young pup) she has started getting into altercations at the dog park. These altercations usually occur with her and a.) submissive dogs after a bunch of wrestling b.) dogs that bark at her relentlessly or seem 'over-interested' in her or are being kind of rough with their play c.) dogs under the age of 1 year (puppies). Arrow has also has begun 'dropping everything' to run to the scene of a fight (even if it's all the way across the dog park). As soon as she hears the fight break out she is running to get in on the action. This is pretty alarming to us considering that up until a month or so ago, Arrow loved every dog she met and seemed to play well with the dogs that she engaged with (and just plain avoided the ones she wasn't interested in).

We really need to curb this behaviour for good, as we don't want Arrow to get hurt or to potentially hurt another dog. Additionally, when it is time to leave the dog park... Getting Arrow to come to us when she sees the leash in hand, is an issue. More often then not, we have to get strangers to grab her by the harness for us so that we're able to leash her as 'playing tag' to get her back on the leash is a game we rarely win.

So, frustrated and sad, we have turned to the internet for help before we seriously think about getting in touch with a dog trainer. :-( We really need to curb this behaviour for good, as we don't want Arrow to get hurt or to potentially hurt another dog.

I am wondering if any of you have experienced this sudden adolescent behaviour with your own dogs (and how you have dealt with it), or if anyone has suggestions as to how we can combat this behaviour and overcome it?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would go back to basic traing with her... be frim and consistent. She is in the teenage stage and pushing her limits with you. The dog park is not her 'pack' as her other doggie friends are.. she senses your hesitation and she is not respecting you as her leader.

Use this technique... Nothing in life is free, easy to folow, but consistency and all those in the home on the same page are key. http://frenchbulldognews.com/showthread.php/1191-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-Training-Technique

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to respond, been a crazy few days, but [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] has given you some excellent advise. That is what I would do, go back to basics and practice "nothing in life is free." It works well.Your baby is still young and in her young teenage years if you will and is testing you plus she is wanting to be the alpha.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! Buster is a mix, too--half Olde English Bulldogge and half Frenchie.

It sounds like you have done everything right with Arrow, but it is back to basics now. If you get help from a trainer make sure that trainer knows Bulldogs and understands how stubborn they can be!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Trainer here... She is a female. Females can and will become dominant when they feel they are the alpha in the area. It sounds like you have had some difficult situations at the dog park, but other places she is ok? You also mention that your anxiety level goes up when you take her to the dog park. You need to know she is feeding OFF your energy. She can sense you are uncomfortable and she then becomes an unstable dog. If you have not done any training with her get basic commands, sit, stay, down, come then you need to begin those now at home. You tube is an excellent source. Look for training videos. I happen to love ceasar milan - go to his page and start reading. He has lots of great advise.

It sounds like you are dealing with a female that is beginning to think she is alpha and you are right it's best to get that turned around NOW while she is still young. You don't have to go to classes. Grab a couple books and the internet is a great resource. Train with her daily. Take her for walks. If you want her to come to you when it's time to put the leash on.....then teach her that everytime you put the leash on she gets a special yummy treat! Practice putting the leash on mutiple times at home. Go for a short 5 min walk and come back. Every time you leash her up give a special treat. Use a special command to cue her that it's leash up time. I like the "Let's Go" command. Each time you want to leash up say "Let's GO in a high pitched excited voice and when she comes to you give her the treat and then leash her up. You don't even have to go anywhere. Just practice saying the command, giving the treat and putting the leash on. Practice in the backyard, front yard in the house, everywhere. That should get you started. I'm always here.....If you need more help my email is [email protected]

email me anytime. Happy to help my frenchie buddies!