2 puppies

CRW29

Reaction score
I have a 11 month female Frenchton and just got a 6 wk male Frenchie and the 11 month has a ton of energy and I’m afraid to let the 6 week old near her because she is obsessive ,sniffs very hard and wants to play and jump with him. It’s been 8 days now but she isn’t letting up any. He’s dosnt seem afraid of her any. I put one in a cage while the other is out of theirs. To control the situation . While I know it takes time to get them use to each other is there anything I can do to get them acclimated faster ?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I have a 11 month female Frenchton and just got a 6 wk male Frenchie and the 11 month has a ton of energy and I’m afraid to let the 6 week old near her because she is obsessive ,sniffs very hard and wants to play and jump with him. It’s been 8 days now but she isn’t letting up any. He’s dosnt seem afraid of her any. I put one in a cage while the other is out of theirs. To control the situation . While I know it takes time to get them use to each other is there anything I can do to get them acclimated faster ?

Welcome!

So the older one just wants to play with the puppy? Have they actually sniffed each other and met, or just been sniffing thru the cages???

The older one will for sure sniff the puppy and know it’s a very young puppy, most dogs will be extra gentle but I have always reminded the dogs ‘Gentle with the puppy’ or just saying Gentle, they know.

Even Rusty my 4 yr old Frenchie who is mellow but gets excited and playful at times, he has met/sniffed a bunch of puppies(not at the same time of course), he is very gentle and I tell him good boy be gentle.

He hasn’t seen/met a puppy before then.

You have to be calm and confident so they don’t pick up negative energy from you.

If your more comfortable, maybe put the older one on a leash to have more control so they can get to know and get used to one another and build the bond between them, again, teach them Gentle.

If nothing has happened between them since you got the new puppy, I would recommend just let them say hi to each other and get used to each other. If you can’t keep them together and have to have one out playing and the other in crate, then that’s creating issues between them and will be hard when they get older to not be able to be with each other.

Don’t let the puppy over play, after a bunch of play, let the puppy go in the crate or a dog bed to sleep. I did that with Rusty, after a bunch of play, potty outside then crate/bed for a hour or so for the puppy to rest and not overplay.

Let them play tug o war or play with toys together or walk around the yard with each other to help, but be there to remind them to be gentle. They do know the puppy is very young and to be extra careful/gentle.

Or put a leash on the older one and sit with them on the floor while they meet.

Any photos of the puppies??

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to allow supervised play with them otherwise they could end up having issues once they are older. Your older pup will know the limits of the baby and what seems rough to you might be just fine for them.

🆕 Latest posts