4 month old frenchie is deaf

HogTowN

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for advise on what to do?

We just found out that our 4 month old frenchie is 100% deaf in both ears. We have contacted the breeder and they have offered to return about 25% of the purchase price or we can return him for a different puppy. I'm just so torn on what to do!?!

Has anyone dealt with this situation, please help?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no personal knowledge but I do know dogs can be taught sign language for commands but it will be a lot of work as Frenchies are stubborn as it is.

You have a tough decision to make!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gka

Reaction score
Hi,
Yuki is my 6 year old soon to be 7 year old deaf Frenchie that I've had since he was 8 weeks old. He is the light of my life. I was very upset when I found out he was deaf. I committed to making his life the best it could possibly be. Raising him can be a challenge at times but he knows the basic hand commands for sit, stay, down etc. but these are hand commands that you would do for a hearing pup anyway. He's very food motivated so it wasn't that hard to train him as I did it all myself since I could not find a trainer in my area that had any experience with training a deaf dog. He's been socialized very early on at indoor daycare facilities. From what I have read on this forum he isn't any different or have any more or less problems than any of the Frenchies here. Please go to the "Deaf Dogs Rock" site. They are a good source of information. I personally would not hesitate to have another deaf pup again. Good luck and your decision is your own with no judgement.

Hi, I'm looking for advise on what to do?

We just found out that our 4 month old frenchie is 100% deaf in both ears. We have contacted the breeder and they have offered to return about 25% of the purchase price or we can return him for a different puppy. I'm just so torn on what to do!?!

Has anyone dealt with this situation, please help?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi,
Yuki is my 6 year old soon to be 7 year old deaf Frenchie that I've had since he was 8 weeks old. He is the light of my life. I was very upset when I found out he was deaf. I committed to making his life the best it could possibly be. Raising him can be a challenge at times but he knows the basic hand commands for sit, stay, down etc. but these are hand commands that you would do for a hearing pup anyway. He's very food motivated so it wasn't that hard to train him as I did it all myself since I could not find a trainer in my area that had any experience with training a deaf dog. He's been socialized very early on at indoor daycare facilities. From what I have read on this forum he isn't any different or have any more or less problems than any of the Frenchies here. Please go to the "Deaf Dogs Rock" site. They are a good source of information. I personally would not hesitate to have another deaf pup again. Good luck and your decision is your own with no judgement.

What a great testimony regarding your experience with your dog who is deaf! Hopefully the OP finds it encouraging!