5 year old Frenchie not accepting new puppy

pdepierre

Reaction score
We have an almost 5 year old Frenchie (Frank), and this group was instrumental in helping me get him to sleep through the night - thank you all! When we got Frank we had an older bullmastiff (Lou), and despite the size difference they were best friends. Lou died in March, and Frank was devastated. Totally lost his spark. Assuming he was lonely we did our research and found a good breeder that had a litter on the way. We picked up our new pup (Corby) just about 3 weeks ago, but much to our dismay Frank is not happy. He seems even more depressed. He is tolerating Corby, but not much more. Corby tries so hard to play with him in that obnoxious puppy way, and Frank just tries to get away from him. They will lay in the same dog bed together but that's about the extent of Frank's accepting Corby. We assumed it would take a week or so, but we are now at 3 weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Any ideas on how to help poor Frank be happy again? It breaks my heart to see him so upset all the time.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We have an almost 5 year old Frenchie (Frank), and this group was instrumental in helping me get him to sleep through the night - thank you all! When we got Frank we had an older bullmastiff (Lou), and despite the size difference they were best friends. Lou died in March, and Frank was devastated. Totally lost his spark. Assuming he was lonely we did our research and found a good breeder that had a litter on the way. We picked up our new pup (Corby) just about 3 weeks ago, but much to our dismay Frank is not happy. He seems even more depressed. He is tolerating Corby, but not much more. Corby tries so hard to play with him in that obnoxious puppy way, and Frank just tries to get away from him. They will lay in the same dog bed together but that's about the extent of Frank's accepting Corby. We assumed it would take a week or so, but we are now at 3 weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Any ideas on how to help poor Frank be happy again? It breaks my heart to see him so upset all the time.

Sorry for your loss of Lou. It can definitely be hard and stressful when the other dog they have been with for so long passes. I am also realizing it now with my dogs.

I had 3 dogs, Rusty my 4 yr old Frenchie, and 2 retrievers. The oldest one passed almost 2 months ago unfortunately, although Rusty wasn’t as close to her as the other retriever, he has broke out in hives since 1-2 days After the oldest dog passed, and he Still is covered in hives! our regular vet said it’s very common and it can take up to 6 MONTHS for them to adapt!
I never would’ve thought it can take that long.

Rusty and my other dog personality has changed as well, they used to play all the time, Rusty and her just started to play again 3 days ago and only for 5 minutes. Both dogs are extremely needy. This took 2 months for them to play again since the loss of the other dog.

I have to bath Rusty daily still to keep up with those hives, he got a skin infection from all those hives a month ago and I luckily treated it with a natural supplement cause it was mild(he is resistant to all antibiotics). But many more hives keep coming. He has allergies, but those are manageable thru diet and supplements but these hives are Not from the allergies, they are from the stress confusion of the oldest dog passed.

I shared this info cause I thought it would be helpful to you and how it can change their personality and it can take a long time for them to adapt.

I recommend Making this as ‘normal’ as possible for daily routines is one of the helpful things to help him adjust and perk up.
More attention and cuddles(if he likes it).

Does Frank want to play with you or any of his toys? Maybe if you can get him to play with you or with a toy he likes, maybe that will make him more interested to play with the new pup.

They will warm up to each other I’m sure, but it takes time. And like my 2 dogs now it can take a while for them to adjust cause that’s stressful for them when the other dog passes.

Have you walked Frank with the new puppy? That could help improve their bond and get them used to each other.

The puppy will for sure want to play, I would make sure you keep letting the puppy see Frank(don’t separate them as that can cause way more issues down the road), but this is a good way to teach the new pup to be gentle when asking to play with Frank.

Maybe ask them both to shake a paw beside one another and then they earn treats together.

They will adjust and I’m sure will play eventually, it can take time though especially if Frank is still stressed about the other dog who passed. It effects all dogs in different ways, in Rusty it resulted in many hives constantly and not interested to play much for the first 2 months.
Now he is starting to play, the other dog only wanted to play with us only.
Now thankfully she is playing with Rusty again.

Any photos of Frank and the new pup?

pdepierre

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss of Lou. It can definitely be hard and stressful when the other dog they have been with for so long passes. I am also realizing it now with my dogs.

I had 3 dogs, Rusty my 4 yr old Frenchie, and 2 retrievers. The oldest one passed almost 2 months ago unfortunately, although Rusty wasn’t as close to her as the other retriever, he has broke out in hives since 1-2 days After the oldest dog passed, and he Still is covered in hives! our regular vet said it’s very common and it can take up to 6 MONTHS for them to adapt!
I never would’ve thought it can take that long.

Rusty and my other dog personality has changed as well, they used to play all the time, Rusty and her just started to play again 3 days ago and only for 5 minutes. Both dogs are extremely needy. This took 2 months for them to play again since the loss of the other dog.

I have to bath Rusty daily still to keep up with those hives, he got a skin infection from all those hives a month ago and I luckily treated it with a natural supplement cause it was mild(he is resistant to all antibiotics). But many more hives keep coming. He has allergies, but those are manageable thru diet and supplements but these hives are Not from the allergies, they are from the stress confusion of the oldest dog passed.

I shared this info cause I thought it would be helpful to you and how it can change their personality and it can take a long time for them to adapt.

I recommend Making this as ‘normal’ as possible for daily routines is one of the helpful things to help him adjust and perk up.
More attention and cuddles(if he likes it).

Does Frank want to play with you or any of his toys? Maybe if you can get him to play with you or with a toy he likes, maybe that will make him more interested to play with the new pup.

They will warm up to each other I’m sure, but it takes time. And like my 2 dogs now it can take a while for them to adjust cause that’s stressful for them when the other dog passes.

Have you walked Frank with the new puppy? That could help improve their bond and get them used to each other.

The puppy will for sure want to play, I would make sure you keep letting the puppy see Frank(don’t separate them as that can cause way more issues down the road), but this is a good way to teach the new pup to be gentle when asking to play with Frank.

Maybe ask them both to shake a paw beside one another and then they earn treats together.

They will adjust and I’m sure will play eventually, it can take time though especially if Frank is still stressed about the other dog who passed. It effects all dogs in different ways, in Rusty it resulted in many hives constantly and not interested to play much for the first 2 months.
Now he is starting to play, the other dog only wanted to play with us only.
Now thankfully she is playing with Rusty again.

Any photos of Frank and the new pup?
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply - it helps to know that others have had this situation. Thankfully we have been doing those things you have suggested including the walks, playing with them together and also giving Frank his "normal daily activities" so his routine is still there as much as possible. I will try to be patient and hope that they will slowly become friends.

Thanks again for your thoughts! When they become friendly enough for me to get a picture of them together I will definitely post one!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems you are doing everything "right", it just might take a few months. We went though something similar when we got our Frenchie (Chelios) and again when we got our third bulldog (Lambeau). Banks took awhile to accept an play with Cheli, she was alpha and was not happy with another in the home, but after about 4-6 weeks, she started playing and it all fell in place. ... and with Cheli we got Lambeau for the exact reason you got Corby, Banks passed and Cheli was so very depressed it was heart breaking, but when he was not into a puppy at all! He would leave the room whenever Lambeau came near him then out of nowhere about two/three weeks in, a play session broke out and they've been buds ever since.

pdepierre

Reaction score
Seems you are doing everything "right", it just might take a few months. We went though something similar when we got our Frenchie (Chelios) and again when we got our third bulldog (Lambeau). Banks took awhile to accept an play with Cheli, she was alpha and was not happy with another in the home, but after about 4-6 weeks, she started playing and it all fell in place. ... and with Cheli we got Lambeau for the exact reason you got Corby, Banks passed and Cheli was so very depressed it was heart breaking, but when he was not into a puppy at all! He would leave the room whenever Lambeau came near him then out of nowhere about two/three weeks in, a play session broke out and they've been buds ever since.
Thank you so very much - you have given me hope :) I truly appreciate you sharing your experience and taking the time to reply. I will certainly keep you posted on how things progress. Thanks again.

🆕 Latest posts