4 year old Frenchie getting hives! Help!!

Lewy650

Reaction score
Hello, we are new to this forum my names Chris and my frenchbulldog is named Lewy. I’ve had him since he was 10 weeks old, He’s now 4 years old and will be turning 5 this coming February. Basically he’s been having problems with what I guess you’d call hives? On his outer front shoulders and hips, his fur looks rough and bumpy and if you feel the rough areas you can feel bumps making his fur look raised and rough. They are small to dime sized bumps, I can’t really tell if the bumps are red they seem skin colored but they are hard to see under his coat. He may also get one or two small ones on the top of his head and a one or two dime sized ones on his back but mostly his outer shoulders and outer hips look really rough. They don’t bother him and he doesn’t fuss about them. We’ve been to the vet twice, they never really are any help or have much to say about it and it’s a greatly reviewed vet in my area. They basically have just prescribed him medication two times now, temeril-p and cefpodoxime, one of which is a steroid. I forget which one, but I do know steroids are bad for him and I will not be giving him anymore of that medication. The first time it was prescribed the bumps went away and then returned about a month after he finished the prescription. We went back and it was refilled and we tried again, same results. They want to put him on a safer, daily pill called prednisone which I’m against. I know there’s got to be another way to handle these flare ups naturally. I’ve tried some of my own methods but they haven’t been successful. I’ve been giving him a 25mg benadryl a day, along with coconut oil rubs and a teaspoon orally which he loves. I’ve also been doing oatmeal baths where I fill the tub, grind up oatmeal to dust, add water to the oatmeal in a bowl and then directly apply the oatmeal to his body and let him relax for a bit before wrinsing him off. Unfortunately none of this has helped and the bumps remain. His diet consists of natures balance puppy kibble chicken flavor (he won’t eat bigger kibble) one cup per day served with a scrambled egg and either freshly cooked plain chicken breast or a 90% lean plain cooked hamburger patty. After his meal he gets 4-5 carrot sticks, about 10 blueberrys and then cookies as a reward. Sometimes pineapple or strawberry instead of blueberries when we buy them. I realize it’s not the best kibble in the world but the other food I serve with the kibble is plenty nutritious for him as a package deal. I’ve been feeding him this way since he was a puppy and I’ve never had any problems. He’s 32 pounds In extremely healthy athletic shape, he loves to swim (with his vest) and we play long distance fetch everyday. He’s happy and has non stop energy for fun and games. He’s not fixed if that matters. I’ll attach some photos of how the bumps look. I love my dog, he’s with me 24/7, he’s my service dog as well and I take extremely good care of him so it’s frustrating I can’t figure this out. Please, if you can help us and lend some advice he and I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. D6AFCAF1-995E-4EBE-AC2B-4287600850C7.jpg 486E2CF0-A9C1-4703-AE41-2E56C6332138.jpg 191DB9E6-BF12-4EBA-BD7D-F5B3FD27DBC8.jpg 21DD5750-391F-4982-BDB8-88237993492B.jpg

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
There's so many conditions that cause skin bumps. Probably the vet should have biopsied the lump to confirm some diagnosis.

I would try to treat for allergies to start with and see if that works. Try switching him to a grain free dehydrated raw mix that becomes a stew once mixed with water, eg. Honest Kitchen Hope, Spot Farms or Only Natural EasyRaw . I would try switching from chicken to a different protein in the food you choose at same time. Also give him an antihistamine daily such as cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound . Try washing him twice weekly for a month with a ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo such as Ketohex or Curaseb, then switch to once weekly.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! Lewy is one very handsome loved boy!!

Hives are a bitch because most times you have no idea what causes them... have the flare ups been at certain times of year or after being in a certain place?

Even though on the same food for 4 yrs they can develop allergies to the food.... my girl broke out in hives severely twice... face swollen eyes shut we never found out what caused it... spider or bug bite, did she somehow get into chicken .. no clue. Our boy now.. it is anything green outside, corn soy and lamb and he ends up looking like Lewy

Tagging two members that may have some suggestions as Benedryl always work for my two
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] @honeys owner .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Also wipe him down every time he comes in from outside, to try to minimize outside allergies he comes in contact with.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome and sorry you are dealing with this. I know what a pain it can be.

The thing about allergies is that they are tough to treat unless you know what the allergy is.

My guy has some food sensitivities and is allergic to everything green outside. For food issues, you can do an elimination diet and trial and error. I would start by trying a different protein than chicken and make sure you are only giving one protein at a time. Some foods will have more than one protein in it and that can make food issues difficult to discover. You can also try a limited ingredient food. Also, don’t give any extra treats, fruits, veggies, etc. once you know the food he is eating is good, then slowly introduce one thing back at a time.

For environmental allergies, I ended up taking Jax to a dermatologist and had a skin test done. He was out on allergy shots and Apoquel. I give him baths every week rotating between Ketohex and Chlorohexidine. I also wipe him daily with Duoxo wipes. This past summer I switched him to Cytopoint injections and it has made a huge difference but I still keep up with the maintenance.

Have you changed detergents or any household products? That can also cause allergic reactions.

So the best thing to do is figure out what is causing the hives so you then know how to properly treat.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Lewy650

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s guys. Here are some updated photos taken right now. They look terrible! I guess I’ll have to grab him some new kibble and maybe just do turkey beast or hamburger patty along with the kibble since chicken may be the issue even though i doubt it is.. Problem is he’s extremely picky and won’t touch kibble alone, the dry mix you add water to that somebody mentioned above has already been tried and he wouldn’t touch it. It’s been this way since he was a puppy which is why i started having to make him a protein to go along with his kibble. If any other thoughts come to mind and your Frenchie has had the same looking bumps and figured out the culprit please help! Here are better photos. 5C556BE8-0B62-4D75-82DC-F8107A05CAB9.jpgF84E671A-9324-4C26-A1D4-C71BB8366E03.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How about try a single protein food... like Acana pork and squash, i think is the name. I

Since they are not going away it is something he eats or is around every day. when did it start getting worse... can you remember what was added or changed when it statred

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
How about try a single protein food... like Acana pork and squash, i think is the name. I

Since they are not going away it is something he eats or is around every day. when did it start getting worse... can you remember what was added or changed when it statred

Acana singles line is good as mentioned above, also the Zignature kangaroo. You could also try the frozen raw patties you thaw before use, eg. Primal Raw frozen

LittleMonsters

Reaction score
My girl Kora has the same thing from time to time. We had allergy testing done and she's allergic to pretty much everything under the sun, but we figure what sets her off are when she goes outside during the wetter seasons and perhaps brushes up against a wild mushroom (she's super allergic to all funghi!) or when she's eaten something that she shouldn't have, as she is a food-allergy dog on a restricted diet, but every now and then someone gives her a treat or bit of human food she shouldn't have. We give her Atarax (hydroxyzine) when she flares up and that seems to do the trick, but definitely something that should be discussed with a vet! Good luck!

🆕 Latest posts