9 week old frenchie hurt leg running

Jbeers82

Reaction score
We just recently got our male frenchie named Perri who is now 9 weeks old a little over a week ago. Yesterday he was following our older dogs around the house and while running towards one of them he dropped to the ground and started crying out in pain. We inspected his paws and legs and could not find anything unusual. He didn't even make any sounds when I searched him over and checked out his legs but now he will not put weight on his front right leg at all and keeps crying out in pain when he tries to move around in his bed or goes to use the bathroom. We have a vet appointment in a few hours but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue with such a young puppy. I'm surprised he would get hurt when he wasn't even jumping up or climbing on anything. Just normal running around being curious.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Nothing to suggest as far as issue causing pain; let us know what the vet finds.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Could have pulled a muscle or sprained something. Let us know what the vet says!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We just recently got our male frenchie named Perri who is now 9 weeks old a little over a week ago. Yesterday he was following our older dogs around the house and while running towards one of them he dropped to the ground and started crying out in pain. We inspected his paws and legs and could not find anything unusual. He didn't even make any sounds when I searched him over and checked out his legs but now he will not put weight on his front right leg at all and keeps crying out in pain when he tries to move around in his bed or goes to use the bathroom. We have a vet appointment in a few hours but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue with such a young puppy. I'm surprised he would get hurt when he wasn't even jumping up or climbing on anything. Just normal running around being curious.

How did the vet appointment go? Is he OK?

Jeffc

Reaction score
My oldest sweet heart broke his back left leg when he was about 9 months old. It was a freak accident. We drove 4 hours one way so he could undergo surgery at the state university animal hospital. It was very expensive but worth every penny. He is as good as new now. Hopefully you have a better outcome. Please let us know.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Pretty unusual for a pup that young to hurt a leg running, but he could have pulled something while running, especially if the floor is slick. Hopefully he will be better soon.

Jbeers82

Reaction score
The vet took an xray but was not able to find any fractures or major issues. They thought it might be a tendon or muscle strain and gave us an anti inflammatory and pain killer to see if he got better after a few day. Two days later and he's back to acting like a puppy again but he's hating not being able to run around the house. We are going to watch him closely for a full week and make sure he isn't able to play or run around too much to avoid re injury. It was really hard to see him walking around like a frail old dog and in pain so we are ecstatic to see him being playful again. Here are a couple of pics of our little guy.

Perri1.jpgPerri2.jpg

Jeffc

Reaction score
Beautiful pup. I’m glad he’s doing better.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad he’s doing better! He’ll be back to running around before you know it!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
The vet took an xray but was not able to find any fractures or major issues. They thought it might be a tendon or muscle strain and gave us an anti inflammatory and pain killer to see if he got better after a few day. Two days later and he's back to acting like a puppy again but he's hating not being able to run around the house. We are going to watch him closely for a full week and make sure he isn't able to play or run around too much to avoid re injury. It was really hard to see him walking around like a frail old dog and in pain so we are ecstatic to see him being playful again. Here are a couple of pics of our little guy.

View attachment 13899View attachment 13900

What a face!! Happy nothing serious