Abscess on neck and not eating.

Mrhub

Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Mark and our fur baby is a 2 yo Frenchie named Kona. He will be 2 on August 28.

Well this all started last Thursday. We all got up, I put Kona in his crate and I went for my 3 mile walk because it was to warm out for Kona. When I got back home I went to let him out of the crate and noticed he was limping on his left front leg. I went to pet him to see what was wrong, and when I touch his neck he screamed. I them felt a large lump on his neck in front of his shoulder that was not there the night before because we had been rough houseing and playing hard with a ball and I would have notice this.

Well I called our regular vet and got an emergency appointment. The doctor checked Kona, took blood and a needle sample of the lump to be tested. Didn't say he had a fever or anything. The doctor said the blood and sample would be sent out and they would call us when they came back, presumably the next day. They gave us a pain prescription and sent us home.

Once home we were able to get Kona to take his pills with some cheese but that is all he would eat, and we thought that was understandable if he wasn't feeling good. He usually only eats once a day, sometimes twice. Well I'm on the midnight shift so when I got to go to work I tried to give Kona his pills again but he would not eat anything and my wife informed me he had been sick 4 or 5 time during the evening. I only gave him a half a pain pill hoping It wouldn't make him sick

It was a rough night for my wife and Kona. I came home Friday morning and slept on the couch with Kona on his bed. The vet called around 10 am to say the blood test came back and showed nothing unusual. We told her he was getting sick all night and he wouldn't eat. She advised to call on Saturday if he still was not eating and maybe we could bring him in and they would give him an IV of fluids and maybe more testing. Another rough night, me on midnights still.

Saturday no change. I came home and went to bed. My wife woke me up to say our vet called and said the lump was an abscess and Kona should be seen by someone and maybe get some fluids and checked out again, but they could not help us because they were no longer a 24/7 facility and they couldn't get him in right now, and maybe we should find another vet that could! I'm sure you all know how that made us feel. Well my wife had called another animal hospital and they said to bring Kona in right away and they will see him so we did.

2 hours later we had met Dr Peter Lands, they found Kona had a fever of 104.9, tested positive for Lyme disease, they took more samples of the lump/abscess to get sent out had given Kona a shot for anti nausea started him on a Lyme disease med and two antibiotics. They've said we could take Kona home for the night because he was still chipper and walking around, still very reactive to people and didn't seem dehydrated at all. He also wanted us to try to get him to eat something. Well we got his first dose of pills in him by putting them in balls of cheese but later that night was not so easy. My wife had tried to get him to eat something all night with no success. I had to force feed him his pills and he took a drink of water and proceeded to spit up and one pill came out. Well they actually slept better and in our bed that night.

I came home Sunday and got a few hours sleep. When I got up I called Dr Lands and told him Kona had not eaten and about the pills. He advised to bring him back and they would admit him and administer IV's and fluids aggressively to see if they could bring him around.

They did an ultra sound of his abdominal area yesterday, Tuesday , and could find nothing wrong there except they did say he say a hiatal hernia that can be fixed at a later date but they don't think it is related to his not eating. The lump has not gone down with antibiotics so he is scheduled to have surgery today , Wednesday , at 7am to remove the lump in his neck. We are praying that might bring around a change in his appetite. We really miss our baby, he means the world to us! We haven't gone to see him because we know that would just upset him when we would leave. We are holding out that they let him come home today and things are better. Please, send us a little prayer if you could.

Thanks for listening and please, any suggestions, or experiences you have in something like is please let us know.

Thank you,
Mark

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What an ordeal for you all... sending lots of prayers and hugs for Kona.

So happy you found a better vet and they are getting him well

Please keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ripley509

Reaction score
Lots of prayers to you, your wife and Kona! Hoping he is on the mend soon <3

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you found a better vet!

Sending positive vibes and thoughts for a quick recovery!

Mrhub

Reaction score
Update post surgery - at 1100 am Kona was just starting to wake up from surgery so there is no real news how he is doing. The doctor said the surgery went well. The mass was connected to surrounding tissue, so he got a drain tube put in and he will not be coming home today. They will be calling us later today to let us know how he is. It's just a waiting game right now.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
That's good the surgery went well. Hopefully he will be back to himself in no time. Sending healing vibes to Kona.

Frenchie Fanatic

Reaction score
Glad to hear the surgery went well.
Thinking good thoughts and wishing him a speedy recovery
. :yes:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Update post surgery - at 1100 am Kona was just starting to wake up from surgery so there is no real news how he is doing. The doctor said the surgery went well. The mass was connected to surrounding tissue, so he got a drain tube put in and he will not be coming home today. They will be calling us later today to let us know how he is. It's just a waiting game right now.

Prayers for a quick recovery [emoji1317]

Mrhub

Reaction score
Thank you all for the prayer for Kona. The Dr just called again and said he is doing very well, but still being stubborn and not eating. They will continue to coax him to try and eat something.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I am so glad you got another vet on board. Buster also refused to eat after 2 recent surgeries. We did get him to eat Gerber toddler turkey little hot dogs that come in a jar.
I broke a "stick" into 3 pieces and stuck the pill in one piece. The first bite
was clean (no pill), the second had the pill. When he had that in his mouth I quickly followed with the clean 3rd piece.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so glad you got another vet on board. Buster also refused to eat after 2 recent surgeries. We did get him to eat Gerber toddler turkey little hot dogs that come in a jar.
was clean (no pill), the second had the pill. When he had that in his mouth I quickly followed with the clean 3rd piece.

I've been sticking Jax's pills into pieces of string cheese! Usually I would just use almond butter but he kept spitting the pills out. But he loves the cheese!

Mrhub

Reaction score

Thanks Alice I might try that! Hopefully Kona will come home today. I will give my old vet credit though, the doctors are still calling to check on Kona. I have no illl will against them, it's just the fact that one day they said to call and they would get him in and when that day comes, they tell my wife they can't get him in. Thank god the Doctor she was talking to said to find someone else right away.

Mrhub

Reaction score
Well Kona busted out and came home last night. He is doing very well. Still has a drain tube in his shoulder that will come out Saturday. When I called yesterday Dr Dobbins said he started eating some roasted chicken Wednesday night, and ate more Thursday morning. I'm not imbarrased to say I broke out crying I was so happy! She asked if we wanted to come in to feed him that evening but she would really like to keep him one more night and of course I said we would be in around 5 pm.

When we got there the Dr brought him in and then said she was thinking it over and asked if we would be comfortable to bring him home with the drain tube in. She said he was doing extremely well and saw no reason to keep him as long as he continues to eat. So we ran out for dinner quick to let them get him cleaned up, the IV's out of him and get all his discharge papers ready. Came back in an hour and he was ready to bolt!

We got home and he went right to his food and water bowls. He ended up eating a full meal and took his meds like nothing was wrong. We also had a very nice sleep over night with no problems.

IMG_6772.jpg
IMG_6773.jpg
IMG_6777.jpg

Mrhub

Reaction score
Here is a picture of his boo IMG_4397.jpg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
So glad everything went well and that he's home now! I know the feeling...Jax had to have emergency surgery to fix a herniated disc in his neck and he was at the hospital for 4 nights! His surgical site was through his throat!!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Kona busted out and came home last night. He is doing very well. Still has a drain tube in his shoulder that will come out Saturday. When I called yesterday Dr Dobbins said he started eating some roasted chicken Wednesday night, and ate more Thursday morning. I'm not imbarrased to say I broke out crying I was so happy! She asked if we wanted to come in to feed him that evening but she would really like to keep him one more night and of course I said we would be in around 5 pm.

When we got there the Dr brought him in and then said she was thinking it over and asked if we would be comfortable to bring him home with the drain tube in. She said he was doing extremely well and saw no reason to keep him as long as he continues to eat. So we ran out for dinner quick to let them get him cleaned up, the IV's out of him and get all his discharge papers ready. Came back in an hour and he was ready to bolt!

We got home and he went right to his food and water bowls. He ended up eating a full meal and took his meds like nothing was wrong. We also had a very nice sleep over night with no problems.

View attachment 10677
View attachment 10678
View attachment 10679

So awesome!!! He is precious... love the PJs.

Prayers and positive thoughts for a quick recovery.

((Hugs))

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Wow that's a large incision. Poor guy. Glad he is eating and doing well. Sending healing vibes your way. These little dogs can be so tough!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
So glad the little guy is doing well. He's really precious. Since he's on antibiotics be sure to give him a good probiotic, eg. Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC . If you can't find a good doggie probiotic give him some kefir, or sauerkraut you buy from fridge section of health food store, or low fat probiotic yoghurt. Kefir and sauerkraut have more bacteria than yoghurt so they would be preferable.