Anal glands and scooting PLEASE HELP

Drizzy

Reaction score
My frenchie started scooting since this summer. I don’t remember him scooting much or at all prior to this summer. So far we have taken him to get his anal glands expressed at the vet five times in the time span of 3 months. Every time we go, the vet says the glands are pretty full.

Since he was a puppy up until this spring he expressed his anal glands on his own and I know this because I could smell it sometimes or if he expressed on the couch he would do this “twirl of shame” and obsessively lick the spot where it expressed. It’s like he is embarrassed and he is aware that it smells funky. We’ve never punished him for expressing himself but we have reacted to the fishy smell by saying things like “ew it stinks.”

Fast forward to now, he never expresses his glands on his own and we think he is intentionally “holding it in” if that is even possible. After he poops, he starts scooting and his body language seems like he has something more that wants to come out but he is holding it in by putting pressure on his anus/scooting. He does this even after getting them expressed at the vet, so we know it is not just because his glands are full. I almost feel like it is a psychological issue where he thinks expressing his anal glands makes him a “bad boy” even though we have never associated anal gland expressing as a bad thing. He is such a good boy and never has accidents in the house since after he was a puppy and he’s so smart/aware of everything. I truly believe he holds in his anal expressions because he thinks it’s “going in the house”. And we are outside he scoots to keep it in too. I think he feels this weird sensation of the gland liquid wanting to express and he doesn’t understand the uncomfortable feeling so he tries to hold it in.

Sometimes when he has an “episode” of scooting inside the house, he pushes up his butt against the edge of his bed to put pressure like he is holding it in. And then he will make this really sad yelping cry sound continuously while he is obsessively licking his paws and nosing his bed and licking his nose. It’s not his normal cry/whine... it’s really strange and it is not the same cry he makes when he wants something/begging for food.

Has anyone ever experienced this or something similar with their frenchie??

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What food are you feeding? He may need more fiber.... like pure canned pumpkin.

It is not intentional for him to hold his gladness, it can happen that a dog can’t express on its own and needs to have them done.... if not expressed they can become infected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be allergies to me - scooting and licking paws. I just got my allergy test results back and mine is basically allergic to everything including grass, weeds, and cotton, so she scoots and licks paws often.

Drizzy

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be allergies to me - scooting and licking paws. I just got my allergy test results back and mine is basically allergic to everything including grass, weeds, and cotton, so she scoots and licks paws often.

How do they perform an allergy test? Do they have to put the dog to sleep?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Try giving him every day canned pumpkin as mentioned, or once in a while steamed frozen cut green beans for a change. It's not a good thing to get anal glands manually expressed if you don't have to since dog might need it done regularly after that. My dog sometimes scoots, because her anus is sore from squeezing to poo, and it goes away when I put on some zinc oxide cream or bag balm with a round cosmetic pad. Zinc oxide cream has even been hard to get off my leather couch so be careful where he goes after if you put it on. I sometimes wonder if my dog's allergies are making her scoot because of vulvar problems, since she has a lot of allergies and will sometimes lick down there, so I put some bag balm on there too with a cosmetic pad.

If he's licking paws too may be worth switching to frozen raw.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
How do they perform an allergy test? Do they have to put the dog to sleep?

No, no, no. Nothing like that! There are companies that do hair and/or saliva samples to test for 100+ food and environmental sensitivities. You can also have a blood test done via your vet. My Daphne was accepted into a food study so they did a hair sample test. I don't think it is widely accepted as overly reliable, but I am using my results as a guide. I replaced her collar and her bedding which were both cotton. There is absolutely nothing I can do about grass and weeds and clover since I don't do pee pads indoors and she goes on walks for potty time. But she actually seems to be doing a tiny bit better this week just by me removing much of the cotton she is exposed to daily. Turns out she is very sensitive to chicken and rabbit that was one of the proteins (rabbit) I was using in her frozen raw diet. So that will also be removed, but we are doing one elimination item at a time. I have three proteins she supposedly can have with little reaction. Like I said, the consensus seems to be that the allergy tests aren't necessarily the most reliable thing ever, but I'm using it to steer clear of items it says she is sensitive to, and we are going to see if these eliminations make a difference. It is very hard to watch your dog be itchy and uncomfortable. My next step is Cytopoint if I cannot get improvement this way.

If you are not exclusively dealing with just anal gland issues and you are noticing paw licking and air licking, I would venture a guess that it is some kind of allergy or sensitivity. I saw a HUGE improvement when I switched to frozen raw food. You may want to try duck if you decide to experiment with food. That is usually a safe protein. Good luck!

Drizzy

Reaction score
No, no, no. Nothing like that! There are companies that do hair and/or saliva samples to test for 100+ food and environmental sensitivities. You can also have a blood test done via your vet. My Daphne was accepted into a food study so they did a hair sample test. I don't think it is widely accepted as overly reliable, but I am using my results as a guide. I replaced her collar and her bedding which were both cotton. There is absolutely nothing I can do about grass and weeds and clover since I don't do pee pads indoors and she goes on walks for potty time. But she actually seems to be doing a tiny bit better this week just by me removing much of the cotton she is exposed to daily. Turns out she is very sensitive to chicken and rabbit that was one of the proteins (rabbit) I was using in her frozen raw diet. So that will also be removed, but we are doing one elimination item at a time. I have three proteins she supposedly can have with little reaction. Like I said, the consensus seems to be that the allergy tests aren't necessarily the most reliable thing ever, but I'm using it to steer clear of items it says she is sensitive to, and we are going to see if these eliminations make a difference. It is very hard to watch your dog be itchy and uncomfortable. My next step is Cytopoint if I cannot get improvement this way.

If you are not exclusively dealing with just anal gland issues and you are noticing paw licking and air licking, I would venture a guess that it is some kind of allergy or sensitivity. I saw a HUGE improvement when I switched to frozen raw food. You may want to try duck if you decide to experiment with food. That is usually a safe protein. Good luck!

Wow thank you so much for that info. I made an appointment with the vet for an allergy test. I dont know much about frozen raw food... what brand do you buy? We are currently feeding him stella & chewy’s raw coated & freeze dried kibble topped with pet plate wet food- all beef. He looooves it but im starting to wonder if hes allergic to beef also. We took him off anything chicken earlier this year which made his stools so much better but didnt solve his scooting and strange behavior

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow thank you so much for that info. I made an appointment with the vet for an allergy test. I dont know much about frozen raw food... what brand do you buy? We are currently feeding him stella & chewy’s raw coated & freeze dried kibble topped with pet plate wet food- all beef. He looooves it but im starting to wonder if hes allergic to beef also. We took him off anything chicken earlier this year which made his stools so much better but didnt solve his scooting and strange behavior

Switch to a duck based food... it is less a chance of allergy . What the S&C kibble there is usually more than one protein so make sure it is just duck if you switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Try to find a local supplier of frozen raw dog food, it will be a lot cheaper than the nationally marketed brands.

🆕 Latest posts