Another Tail Pocket question (sorry!)

Nicole G

Reaction score
As you all may know, we've been fighting allergies, staph infection :(, and Ella had a little infection in her tail pocket back in June. The infection has since disappeared, but I noticed that there is still a little spot where her hair is missing and it still looks a tiny bit annoyed. Not red, just a little pink. We have a vet appointment tomorrow and I will ask her to look, but I just was wondering if there are any products I'm missing to keep the area extra clean?

Someone online recommended Gold Bond powder (I'm not sure about THAT one!) and we have chloridexyne (I'm not sure if I'm spelling that right) pads from our first vet.

As a side note, Ella is smart and I crack up because when she sees me get out the antiseptic wipes for cleaning, she takes off to the bed and sits on her tail so I can't see it. Frenchies! :no:

Rudi Lim

Reaction score
Boxy has problematic skin and his tail pocket was infected 2 times when he was younger. Recently I have been using hydrogen peroxide solution (ratio 1:1 with water) and he hasn't has tail rot ever since. Just pour over tail area after bath, leave it on for 5 mins and towel dry. Just make sure there isn't any open wound. :) and always make sure u blow dry the tail pocket.

P.s. I hope Ella is cream as peroxide will lighten dark fur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
As you all may know, we've been fighting allergies, staph infection :(, and Ella had a little infection in her tail pocket back in June. The infection has since disappeared, but I noticed that there is still a little spot where her hair is missing and it still looks a tiny bit annoyed. Not red, just a little pink. We have a vet appointment tomorrow and I will ask her to look, but I just was wondering if there are any products I'm missing to keep the area extra clean?

Someone online recommended Gold Bond powder (I'm not sure about THAT one!) and we have chloridexyne (I'm not sure if I'm spelling that right) pads from our first vet.

As a side note, Ella is smart and I crack up because when she sees me get out the antiseptic wipes for cleaning, she takes off to the bed and sits on her tail so I can't see it. Frenchies! :no:

I know many that have used the gold bond for tail pockets (English bulldog) to keep it dry.... I also use witch hazel since it is a natural drying agent -- if it is allergy related, are you giving beneryl or something that will lessen the impact to the area?

Nicole G

Reaction score
[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] Do you think it could be allergy related? That's something I didn't think of. I was wondering if it could be a yeast issue - she does eat sweet potatoes.

Boxy has problematic skin and his tail pocket was infected 2 times when he was younger. Recently I have been using hydrogen peroxide solution (ratio 1:1 with water) and he hasn't has tail rot ever since. Just pour over tail area after bath, leave it on for 5 mins and towel dry. Just make sure there isn't any open wound. :) and always make sure u blow dry the tail pocket.

P.s. I hope Ella is cream as peroxide will lighten dark fur.

Yes I've heard of that but unfortunately she's a brindle!:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
@2bullymama Do you think it could be allergy related? That's something I didn't think of. I was wondering if it could be a yeast issue - she does eat sweet potatoes.

could be.... my girl, Banks had yeast issues so I avoid grains, carbs and sugars in her diet to help because when ever she had a flare her tail would tighten and get inflamed. I would give her Benedryl to lessen the swelling and help with some of the discomfort. I could be wrong, but I do not think the sweet potato has the same impact as white potato does

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Mal A Ket wipes work pretty well too, but all the products you listed can be used.

🆕 Latest posts