Anyone ever do Heska Regional Allergy Testing?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi all,
Daphne recently went for her annual well exam. The vet asked me if I was interested in doing a regional allergy test using Heska. She gave me an estimate and told me a bit about it but she claims the results are suited to outdoor allergies (grass, weeds, pollen, etc...) and that in her opinion the testing is not accurate for food allergies. I've previously had Daphne tested for allergies using hair/saliva just to get an idea of what could be irritating her so much. And pretty much everything but air showed up on the results as an irritant. :(

My vet explained that Heska can make a tailored vaccine for Daphne which she would need a few times per year. Has anyone done this? Has it helped a lot? Am I understanding this information? There are no in person vet visits where I am so this was relayed to me over the phone while I was waiting in the car, and Daphne was in the building with the vet. We have tried Cytopoint but it lost its effectiveness and she was itching almost as much on it as off it, so we stopped.

I would appreciate any info or experiences you've had with this particular allergy test and/or vaccine. Thanks!
DSC_0186.jpg

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
We have pretty much tried everything. Allergy testing was done on Jake and we gave him shots for approximately one year with no improvement. Apoquel helped him, but now because of another disease he cannot be on Apoquel any longer so we are doing cytopoint injections about every 4 weeks. I find that regular bathing helps too. We use DermaBenSs.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We did blood allergy testing with a company named Nelco, I believe. It is not 100%, but gives good point of reference on what to avoid. I did the tailored shots for over a year on our first boy, with no results. Our girl, we avoided her tiggers and never needed meds of any type. Our current boy, gets Cytopoint shots every 4-6 weeks depending on season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax had allergy testing with a dermatologist and was in allergy shots and Apoquel for awhile and then we switched to Cytopoint and we stopped the allergy shots. Jax can go over two months between Cytopoint injections. None of my vets out here will do an allergy test for food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Thank you for your input! I am not encouraged by this and will probably not do this testing then. Cytopoint did not work for Daphne beyond the first injection *sigh*

🆕 Latest posts