Deposit Placed - now questioning if it's full bred

FrenchieHasNoName

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here. I've been researching and planning on adding a Frenchie to our family for about 2 or so years. As you know, they're not cheap. So we finally got to a place where we feel comfortable spending that amount on a new family member, as well as making sure we keep up with vaccinations and new puppy needs. Less than a month ago, I came across a breeder on FB. I looked through all their photos and posts. Went the the website and it all looks legit. They breed frenchies and English bulldogs. The breeder has been pretty great about answering questions and when I decided that I did in fact want to put a deposit down on a puppy, she assured me that if at any time, if we decided the this puppy wasn't the right fit for us, we would be able to get our deposit back. That also reassured me that I was making a good choice with this breeder and could trust her (that and I paid through PayPal, so I can get my money back if need be if anything happens.) She's been posting weekly pictures of the puppies and videos whenever I ask for one.
Here's my dilemma...
As I get pictures of the puppy each week and along with videos, I am having doubts that this a full breed frenchie. She did say that they come with AKC papers. And I also know that it can take some time for the ears to pop up to the adorable frenchie ears we all know. But they look kinda like English bulldogs. Are baby frenchies supposed to look so wrinkly? And in the latest video, they look way bigger than I thought a 7 week old puppy would look. I'm going to include the picures and link for the video. I would GREATLY appreciate any thoughts on if I'm getting a quality frenchie. I'm going to be spending a lot of money and, although I don't want this to sound selfish or materialistic, I want my frenchie to look like a frenchie. Since this will be my first, I honestly don't know what to expect. All I know is what I google and as you know, you can't always believe what you read on the internet. So please, please, please, let me know if you feel like what this puppy looks like is what I should expect and I'm not going crazy thinking this looks more like an English bulldog than a frenchie. Thank you all for any help.

youtube video: https://youtu.be/3E_m82kvyGU

26233345_2142240326020406_606965441243038741_o.jpg29060291_2142239179353854_8470361605161942650_o.jpg29249554_2138433126401126_3969746595615866880_o.jpg29352258_2145860455658393_5360612109548618791_o.jpg30226239_2149371015307337_3744427388587474944_o.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My opinion... no an expert at all... but they appear to be french/english mix.

Paws and tail tell me that...
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] is a breeder of French and was a breeder of English he can give more insight
[MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] has a french/English mix snd Buster is a fantastic little guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to FBN! My Buster has an English mom and a French dad. We had first pick male and paid $3,000 for him--we were buying an English Bulldog. When we picked him up at 8 weeks, he (and the rest of the litter) were so small, and his ears were super glued down (to train them). It turned out the breeder had their DNA tested and she called 10 hours after we got him with the news. We had bonded and chose to keep him and got a $2,200 refund. He is the best dog ever and I wouldn't trade him for anything!

Have you seen Patsy, the mother of the litter? I would think it would be really hard for a French mom to carry a 1/2 English litter. How much do the pups weigh?

I agree that the litter have an English look to them, but it is really hard to tell. I'd call the breeder and share your concerns. I know the French ears are dominate over English ears because all 7 of Buster's litter have bat ears!

I will post some of Buster's baby pictures!

Attachments

• pampups95245.jpg
    pampups95245.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 210
  • pampups95182.jpg
    pampups95182.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 214
  • ResizedImage951358824374277.jpg
    ResizedImage951358824374277.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 219
  • ResizedImage951358824415253.jpg
    ResizedImage951358824415253.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 221
  • ResizedImage951358824388421.jpg
    ResizedImage951358824388421.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 213

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I looked at the breeder's website and Patsy (the mom) looks to be a Frenchie. I'm betting your pup is all French!

FrenchieHasNoName

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I agree, I feel the Mom does look like a frenchie. I guess I’m just concerned that there’s been some English bulldog mixed in there down the line. Also, the fact that his ears haven’t popped up and that he doesn’t look as short and stocky, as I thought he should look, concerns me.

I’m really on the fence about this pup.

Thank you all again for your insight. I really appreciate it.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I agree, I feel the Mom does look like a frenchie. I guess I’m just concerned that there’s been some English bulldog mixed in there down the line. Also, the fact that his ears haven’t popped up and that he doesn’t look as short and stocky, as I thought he should look, concerns me.

I’m really on the fence about this pup.

Thank you all again for your insight. I really appreciate it.

My best advice is if you are on the fence, wait, or even better go visit the kennel and puppies!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
@FrenchieHasNoName If this breeder is the one in Morgantown, PA. I would not buy from them, they are a money only breeder. They breed "blues" and any breeder who breeds this crap is an unethical breeder who breeds for money only and not for health, temperament, or the betterment of the breed. They are cute pups, but at 7 weeks old should have their ears up. All our pups
always have their ears up at 4 weeks of age.

FrenchieHasNoName

Reaction score
I wish I could go and visit the pups before we take him home, but they are about 6 hrs from us and between work and family, we can't make the trip until the time to pick up.

So how do I go about finding a breeder who isn't a 'money only breeder'? I am having the worst luck finding anything by us (Virginia Beach). I don't mind driving a couple of hours but, it seems there are so many that breed for the money now. They all claim AKC. If they breed blue, wouldn't that disqualify them for AKC? Or is AKC not really something that is discriminating and anyone can say they're AKC?

Sorry for all the questions. But I honestly value everyone's thoughts on this. Thank you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any local dog shows you can go to? That’s a great way to meet people.

It’s definitely hard finding a reputable breeder these days BUT they are still out there. It just might take a little bit longer to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchieHasNoName

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and let the breeder know that I changed my mind and got my deposit back. She was very understanding about it. I feel as if I've been searching forever to find the right breeder. I'll see if there are any local dog shows that I can attend and I'll still keep searching.

Thank you all again for your responses. I appreciate it. :)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=3140]FrenchieHasNoName[/MENTION] here is a web site that we use to register for shows. You can find shows close to you, just go to upcoming shows and scroll down. Hope it helps. It is Jack Onofrio dog shows. Jack Onofrio Dog Shows, LLC | Welcome There is another site called infodog.com but I don't use that one, but look at them both and see if there are any shows coming close to you.