Excessive salivating while in crate at home

daniellepaul

Reaction score
Hi all!

Leo is 8 months old and he luckily has had the privilege of coming to work with me since the second week of having him when he was 3 months old. I bring him to work with me anywhere from 2-4 times a week depending on mine and my partners schedule (I work a part time job 2-3 times in the evening on top of my full time 9-5 job, and my partners shifts are never the same so he could work at 6-3PM one day, 11-8PM the next, or 2-11PM the following day). I like to bring him to work with me on days that obviously minimizes his time in the crate at home when mine and my partners work schedules just don't jive (example when I work 9AM-8:00PM and my partner works 2PM-11PM). I only bring him to my 9-5PM job, not my second job. At first I would crate him at work under my desk for the first few months until we mastered the stay command and now he just sleeps under my desk in his bed and stays there snoozing/chewing on his antler. He likes his crate at home and it is a positive space for him only - treats for going in on his own, all meals fed in there, etc. I'll admit, I did bring him to work a lot with me from 3-7 months old as it did really help with potty training, socializing, and he is a really calm/quiet dog so he made it easy.

I am trying to bring him to work with me less just so he gets used to being alone more at home...I've been trying smaller stints like 3-4 hours at a time. So for last week and this week, I'd bring him to work with me from 9-1PM and in the afternoon, drop him off at home in his crate from around 130-5PM and either myself or my partner would be home after that for the rest of the evening. So far, he is doing good - he doesn't have accidents and isn't destructive in the crate, but I notice when I get home that sometimes his neck will be drenched in saliva. Some days it's a little damp, other days it is completely drenched. I'm guessing this is anxiety related, but he always seems calm when I get home like I just woke him up from a nap, and he has yet to destroy any toys/his bedding in there. It's a big crate, his bed is on one side and he has a little bit of space to walk around/play in the other half of it. I leave toys in there as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this...am I not giving it a long enough time? will this behavior go away on its own? should I even be concerned or am I overreacting? I don't want him to be distressed in there but I also don't want him to have free range of my house yet because he's still a puppy and when left alone I know he will chew things he shouldn't. Plus I want him to be okay in a crate for when he has sleep overs at other people's houses when we go on vacation. Does anyone know of any anti-anxiety treats or suggestions on how to stop his salivating or should I just wait it out and see if it gets better over time? It's not like we never put him in his crate either...on weekends when we grocery shop, go out for dinner etc. he is in there for 2-3 hours (and sometimes salivates, sometimes not). I just hate that he is stressed out over this :( maybe I am more stressed about this than he is lol. Sorry for the essay!! Any and all suggestions are welcome!! Thank you :)

Attachments

• Leo Me at work.jpg
    Leo Me at work.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 183

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Leo is adorable -- what a face! I'm hoping someone with more experience will weigh in, but salivating can be a sign of anxiety or stress as you've already surmised. Still, you've gone to great lengths to minimize Leo's time in the crate. I also don't think you are over-reacting because it's best to address any behavioral issues you observe in a puppy before it becomes a bigger problem. I just wish I could be more helpful in offering up a solution.

daniellepaul

Reaction score
Thanks :) he’s a good boy! Thanks for your input it I appreciate it. I just want him happy in the crate and sometimes I think I caused this stress he is feeling because of bringing him to work with me often.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
It could definitely be stress/anxiety which you can give CBD oil for. I suppose another possibility would be a tooth or something causing it. Maybe try to check inside his mouth to see if there is anything abnormal going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniellepaul

Reaction score
It could definitely be stress/anxiety which you can give CBD oil for. I suppose another possibility would be a tooth or something causing it. Maybe try to check inside his mouth to see if there is anything abnormal going on.

Thanks for the information - I did check out his mouth and everything seems normal in there. The salivating only seems to happen in his crate when he is alone, he's otherwise good when he is sleeping at night time with us or napping during the day under my desk. I will look into CBD oil as well

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed... anxious— also try leaving a dirty tshirt of yours with him in the crate

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Leo is a cutie! I agree, he needs more time adjusting to his home alone time and giving him one of your t-shirts to snuggle while you're gone is a good idea!

daniellepaul

Reaction score
Agreed... anxious— also try leaving a dirty tshirt of yours with him in the crate

That's a great idea - thanks! I'm going to do that tomorrow. Yesterday I left him from 130-5PM and he was drenched from chin down to his chest :( with little drool spots on the crate bottom too. Toy was also drenched - dunno if it was from chewing or from just leaning his head on it and drooling on it....

FroxerMom

Reaction score
He's so adorable and lucky to travel with you to work at times!

I'll echo what others have said - give it a bit more time for him to become used to his new routine. I'd also say putting an item of clothing inside that has your scent is a great idea. CBD oil too, a Thundershirt, or Bach's Remedy. I leave the tv or radio on in the room where my dog's crate is, but she also does have a doggie brother in the same room with her. Is adopting another buddy for Leo an option....hahaha?!

daniellepaul

Reaction score
Leo is a cutie! I agree, he needs more time adjusting to his home alone time and giving him one of your t-shirts to snuggle while you're gone is a good idea!

Thanks so much I am going to try that tomorrow afternoon :)

daniellepaul

Reaction score
He's so adorable and lucky to travel with you to work at times!

I'll echo what others have said - give it a bit more time for him to become used to his new routine. I'd also say putting an item of clothing inside that has your scent is a great idea. CBD oil too, a Thundershirt, or Bach's Remedy. I leave the tv or radio on in the room where my dog's crate is, but she also does have a doggie brother in the same room with her. Is adopting another buddy for Leo an option....hahaha?!

Thanks :) I'm lucky to have him come to work with me too! He just likes being around people (as I'm sure most frenchies do!) I will try putting my shirt in tomorrow and see how that goes. I am open to the idea of thunder shirts, CBD or treats with calming ingredients in them as well - but I will give it more time and see if things improve over time. Haha - getting another buddy with him isn't an option yet for us as much as I want another!! Dogs are like an addiction - hahaha.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
When we had our own business our dogs used to go to work with us every day! Lots of people stopped in just to see the dogs! It is a great way to socialize them.

daniellepaul

Reaction score
So I left Leo for 3 hours in the crate this morning and put my t shirt in there with him... he was barely damp or wet at all (which was great!) buuut he had puked .. not a whole lot but enough.. like 3 tablespoons worth. I will keep trying.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
So I left Leo for 3 hours in the crate this morning and put my t shirt in there with him... he was barely damp or wet at all (which was great!) buuut he had puked .. not a whole lot but enough.. like 3 tablespoons worth. I will keep trying.

Hmmmm...he puked up food or bile?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Some folks on here taught me that the bile was most likely the "hunger pukes." My dog is VERY routine oriented and she eats every day at the same time. If for some reason I am running late with her evening feeding, she will puke up a bit of bile because her body expects the food to come and then it doesn't. I make sure she gets a handful of freeze dried raw nuggets in the afternoon to tide her over and she has not done it since. Are you able to try that in case that is what happened?

daniellepaul

Reaction score
Some folks on here taught me that the bile was most likely the "hunger pukes." My dog is VERY routine oriented and she eats every day at the same time. If for some reason I am running late with her evening feeding, she will puke up a bit of bile because her body expects the food to come and then it doesn't. I make sure she gets a handful of freeze dried raw nuggets in the afternoon to tide her over and she has not done it since. Are you able to try that in case that is what happened?
Yes for sure I can give some treats before just to hold him over. I did give a small treat when he went into the crate. Leo is in a routine aswell with his food but he has never had hunger pukes before if I’ve been late feeding him.. I am going to keep at it everyday

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes for sure I can give some treats before just to hold him over. I did give a small treat when he went into the crate. Leo is in a routine aswell with his food but he has never had hunger pukes before if I’ve been late feeding him.. I am going to keep at it everyday

Make sure the tshirt or whatever clothing item is used.. it is your scent that settles him

daniellepaul

Reaction score
I thought I'd update everyone since it's been a few weeks and all your suggestions were very helpful so thanks :) Leo continued to salivate in the crate whether it was 1 hour or 4 hours alone and even with a used sweater/shirt :( I bought some Hemp/CBD treats and figured I'd try confining him to just the kitchen with his crate in there and his bed/a few toys. I give a treat before I go and he has access to water. He is no longer soaking wet down his chest and hasn't had an accident - I think just being able to get up and sniff around for dropped crumbs in the kitchen eased his anxiety and the treats also probably helped as well. He hasn't had an accident nor has he chewed on any furniture but he did get into my shoes once when I left them at the back door of the kitchen (my fault)...so there it is! I now come home to a dog that is super sleepy in his crate in the kitchen who makes me bend down to greet him instead of a soaked, wide awake mess! Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. I will probably never give him free range of the house because he is an opportunist and will get into something if given the chance...but I feel so much better he isn't a soaking wet mess anymore and is actually calm when I get home. :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I'd update everyone since it's been a few weeks and all your suggestions were very helpful so thanks :) Leo continued to salivate in the crate whether it was 1 hour or 4 hours alone and even with a used sweater/shirt :( I bought some Hemp/CBD treats and figured I'd try confining him to just the kitchen with his crate in there and his bed/a few toys. I give a treat before I go and he has access to water. He is no longer soaking wet down his chest and hasn't had an accident - I think just being able to get up and sniff around for dropped crumbs in the kitchen eased his anxiety and the treats also probably helped as well. He hasn't had an accident nor has he chewed on any furniture but he did get into my shoes once when I left them at the back door of the kitchen (my fault)...so there it is! I now come home to a dog that is super sleepy in his crate in the kitchen who makes me bend down to greet him instead of a soaked, wide awake mess! Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. I will probably never give him free range of the house because he is an opportunist and will get into something if given the chance...but I feel so much better he isn't a soaking wet mess anymore and is actually calm when I get home. :)

Glad to hear of the improvement! Jax used to get confined to the kitchen as well with just his bed and water and then he graduated to being able to free range in the living room. But then he was diagnosed with IVDD, we got another dog and then we moved and the downstairs is an open floor plan so not easy to block one room off so for his own safety, both dogs go in their crates when home alone and they are fine.

🆕 Latest posts