First time poster- Staph infection on puppy's belly and anus question

Sasseac

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm so happy I found this website! I'm a first time Frenchie owner. Meet Pierre!

Pierre is almost 10 weeks old and I've had him since he was 7 weeks old. After the first week we brought him home I noticed some brown dots on his belly. I thought it was dirt and tried to remove it with a non-scented wet wipe. It wouldn't come off. We had a vet appt scheduled to get the second round of his vaccinations and the vet said it was a staph infection. He advised me to put some Neosporin on it and keep it clean and it should go away. It's been about a week and a half and it hasn't gone away. The vet does not seem concerned, but as a first time Frenchie owner, I'M concerned! I know puppy's can be a little sloppy when they potty, but I always take him and wipe him down after each potty trip. Should I wait it out or make another appointment to see the vet?

Another worry I have is my puppy has been scooting after each poo and when I wipe his bottom I notice that his anus is hard..? I can't really explain it. I've Googled "prolapsed rectum in puppies" (never again... those poor dogs) and that's not what he has. Nothing is coming out of his bottom. His anus just sticks out? I don't see any anal glands that need to be expressed. His poos are never consistent- sometimes they will be hard and something he will have diarrhea. However, this may be my fault. I've been experimenting what foods he will eat in his Kong. So far I've tried, sweet potato, pumpkin and Greek yogurt. When I took him to the vet for the scooting (same appt has above) the vet just said, "oh that's normal."

Any advice would be SUPER helpful!!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9767.JPG
    IMG_9767.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 212

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Welcome! Pierre is adorable! Perhaps he's got allergies? Did the vet do a skin scrape?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
:ponder: Nothing normal on either count... staph infection needs antibiotics and scooting could be a sign of worms.

Your baby is precious--- I'd look for a better vet.

:welcome3: to FBN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Welcome to you and Pierre. He's adorable.
The staph can take some time to fully clear up. When we got Stella she had staph. I would just make sure it is not getting worse.
Scooching is a sign that something is going on in the anal area. Is the staph there as well? It could just be itchy.
I would be careful about introducing lots of new foods as well. Puppies can easily get an upset tummy. Can you stuff his Kong with what you are feeding him?

blushy

Reaction score
He's super adorable I can't deal!

Our girl hates her butt being wiped, and her butt feels "hard" I guess. It's more pronounced than our boys. Could just be the dogs butt is weird like our girls LOL. The scooting could be a lot of things, like worms or staph mentioned above.

I agree with finding another vet. Our boy had staph and he was put on 10 days of antibiotics and it took 3 months for his hair to grow back that fell out in the spots that had staph. If the vet won't give you anything I'd use bacitracin instead of neosporin since its more specifically for prevention of/staph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
If its a staph infection, it needs to be scraped first to find out what kind of bacteria is causing it. Then the dog needs to be given the appropriate antibiotic. And you will need a probiotic afterwards, because the antibiotic will eliminate most beneficial bacteria as well.