Frenchie Puppy with Liver issues

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Gracie was on so many medications, several concurrently, that it's hard to say what caused her liver issues. Her bile acid test was just barely above normal. The veterinary internist to which we were referred said the test results would have been much higher (well above normal) if she had a shunt. If your vet suspects a shunt, an ultra-sound could help determine whether one exists or not. Depending on the type, some liver shunts can be corrected with surgery. We did put Gracie on Denamarin. The reviews I read about it were extremely positive and I would recommend it. Our vet also put her on a low fat prescription diet. If I had to guess the culprit, I'd say it was the metronidazole. She was on three rounds of that for the Giardia.

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Just a post script. Are Carrot's liver results stable? In other words, are they about the same or have they increased or decreased on subsequent blood panels? Liver cells can regenerate if the toxin is removed. That was the other thing we tried to do -- keep Gracie off as much medication as possible. For skin issues we opted for topical rather than internal treatment.

CarrotTheFrenchie

Reaction score
Just a post script. Are Carrot's liver results stable? In other words, are they about the same or have they increased or decreased on subsequent blood panels? Liver cells can regenerate if the toxin is removed. That was the other thing we tried to do -- keep Gracie off as much medication as possible. For skin issues we opted for topical rather than internal treatment.

They are pretty consistent. If anything they've gone down a bit. The only medication I give her now is Bravecto every three months for flea and ticks. I think I might try giving her the denamarin for six weeks and retest her. See if that helps.

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Well it's good they aren't getting worse. Still, you want the ATL within the normal range if possible. It only gets released if there is damage to liver cells. If it is not in the normal range it may mean that the damage is continuing. Denamarin should help -- it works by binding with the proteins of toxins in the liver so they are not absorbed. That's also why it needs to be given on an empty stomach (so it won't bind with the proteins in food). I do think it will help. I am not familiar with Bravecto but I've read that some flea and tick treatments may be problematic.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
They are pretty consistent. If anything they've gone down a bit. The only medication I give her now is Bravecto every three months for flea and ticks. I think I might try giving her the denamarin for six weeks and retest her. See if that helps.

Well it's good they aren't getting worse. Still, you want the ATL within the normal range if possible. It only gets released if there is damage to liver cells. If it is not in the normal range it may mean that the damage is continuing. Denamarin should help -- it works by binding with the proteins of toxins in the liver so they are not absorbed. That's also why it needs to be given on an empty stomach (so it won't bind with the proteins in food). I do think it will help. I am not familiar with Bravecto but I've read that some flea and tick treatments may be problematic.

For sure, all chemical flea/tick/hw preventatives (along with any chemicals in the home and environment) have a risk of liver disease, along with many other possible side effects.

Winston1014

Reaction score
hi Grace's mom! OMG the same thing is happening to my frenchie today and the crazy thing is you posted this exactly a year ago!! can i contact you please?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
hi Grace's mom! OMG the same thing is happening to my frenchie today and the crazy thing is you posted this exactly a year ago!! can i contact you please?

Try via PM would be best ... she will get an email notification

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk