Good news - Penelope's eye has healed

PugandTwoFrenchies

Reaction score
Ugh, that episode was a bit of a rough ride.

Penelope had her ectopic cilia surgery (to remove a wonky eyelash that was growing out of a gland on the inside of her eyelid) that was scratching her cornea, but the road to recovery was a stressful one.

First we had to wait several days for the surgery, so of course her eye wouldn't heal until it was done, then the drops she was originally prescribed were irritating her (they'd cause her third eyelid to swell and be irritated), so that just made things worse.

I freaked and rushed her to our regular vet so that he could take a look at what was happening, and he said it had healed a tiny bit, but agreed that we should try different drops. So, we did that, and then she had surgery the next day.

Surgery was done to remove the eyelash, and the surgeon said that approx. 5 days later the redness should start to go away. In the meantime, I happened to look at her eye one day and noticed that the ulcer was red in the middle (blood), so once again, I freaked and rushed her to our regular vet to see if something had burst, should I be concerned, etc. I nearly had a heart attack on the way over I was so stressed.

Our vet assured me that the blood in the middle was a good thing, and that the blood vessels were rushing in to heal the ulcer. That's what you want. But as an owner, you're always told to let them know if something changes, if something doesn't look right to you, etc. My vet was so kind and told me that his doors are open any time, please come in, as they'd rather err on the side of caution rather than waiting too long and then it being a mess that they can't fix. (He didn't even charge me for the appointment which is unheard of here in Calgary)

Just the other day we took Penelope back to the surgeon for a 10-14 day re-check, and he said her eye has healed! God, the last 2 weeks have been unbelievably stressful, as I wasn't sure how her body was going to heal with an injury, what meds work, what meds don't, etc. I hardly ate or slept the entire time. (I may have had several glasses of wine in that time period, though ;) )

Today is the last day we need to put drops in, so hopefully no more issues for a bit! Mind you, next is allergy testing I think, as Penelope's paws are still kind of red (not as bad as they were), so we're going to try and figure out what's causing the issue.

Happy long weekend, all! :D

pennymama

Reaction score
Poor Penelope!!! I hope she has a speedy recovery, poor thing.

Stories like these make me reconsider the pet insurance thing... :eek:

hannah

Reaction score
Oh my! Thank goodness it's all healed up!

- - - Updated - - -

We have pet insurance.... sometimes I wonder if I am throwing my money away, and others I am glad to have it. Even though we have never used it but Banksy is only 6 mnths

It sure is a toss up

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Oh so glad she is all better. Eye issues are so scary. You probably need a good long rest now. Good luck with the allergy testing too.

blushy

Reaction score
I was the exact same way with Isabelle when she had cherry eye surgery... I think I ran her to the vet about 6 times in one week!

Glad Penelope is feeling better and you can breathe now! Haha!

Frenchie Mommy

Reaction score
Sooo happy Penelope is doing so well after her eye surgery. It is exhausting when stuff like that happens as the worry tires you out so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PugandTwoFrenchies

Reaction score

Oh my god, I would absolutely KEEP the pet insurance if I were you. This whole episode cost me $1000, and in the 6 months we've had the pups the insurance has already covered itself.

Not to mention we're going to have to do some allergy testing (Penelope's paws are much better, but not 100%), and that'll cost $800 for the two panels. Plus she may need a surgery in her future to fix the covering of her urethra (just on the outside), as it could cause UTIs. (The vet wants to wait until she's fully grown to do anything) I haven't gotten a quote just yet on how much that would cost, if needed.

After this whole episode it just reiterates how important having insurance is. :facepalm:

eeturk

Reaction score
I am SO glad that P is doing better!!! Tell her no more causing stress for a while, haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow... What stress for you both--- so happy it all worked out well and she is doing good

Chiana

Reaction score
YAY! So glad to hear such good news!!! :boogie:
Well done! Now you can have some well deserved relax time. All sorted :)

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Good news!!!

Sadly, pet insurance in my neck of the woods is way too expensive.

hannah

Reaction score
Good news!!!

Sadly, pet insurance in my neck of the woods is way too expensive.

It's $50 a month from Pets plus us but that is a Canadian insurance company. I can't imagine paying any more than that :no:

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
It's $50 a month from Pets plus us but that is a Canadian insurance company. I can't imagine paying any more than that :no:

When I first inquired when Uma was a puppy I was quoted $60/month, and it didn't cover all issues with eyes, ears and skin/allergies. I couldn't imagine paying that much per month and not have everything covered.

I'm in Ontario so that would work for me. I may give it another try and see what they say. Thanks for the info!

hannah

Reaction score
When I first inquired when Uma was a puppy I was quoted $60/month, and it didn't cover all issues with eyes, ears and skin/allergies. I couldn't imagine paying that much per month and not have everything covered.

I'm in Ontario so that would work for me. I may give it another try and see what they say. Thanks for the info!

Yeah that's the thing. Pet insurance is only really great when you get it when they are a puppy. When you purchase the insurance, all pre existing conditions are excluded. We got our policy the day we got banksy so everything is covered. But when your dog is 1 or 2 and has allergies or anything else those things would not be covered

Mavis

Reaction score
P&2F, I am late in seeing this. I am so glad Penelope is better! They are a terrible worry when something is wrong. You are an excellent mommie! :salute:

PugandTwoFrenchies

Reaction score
Wow!!! I don't like to pay money for any insurance that I'm not legally obligated to have. Especially if the insurance doesn't cover everything.

The only thing the insurance doesn't cover are the exam fees. But all medications and surgery costs are covered. They also don't cover things like dentals or spays/neuters. But testing and such is all covered. It's one of the better plans that I've seen out there.

Back in the day pet insurance companies would set caps on each incident (ie: $2000), which really covers nothing. I had a pug who had several cancerous lumps removed, and while the first one was covered, the rest weren't, as by then I would've been over the limit. Trupanion at least doesn't set limits on each incident, and your pet can have the same incident multiple times, and it'll still be covered.

I hear ya, it's not cheap. But Trupanion does seem to be a better option than what used to be offered, which was a bunch of hooey! ;) lol

🆕 Latest posts