How is everyone flying with their Frenchies?

jaxon

Reaction score
My ESA Frenchie is no longer allowed on flights. I still need him for my wellbeing and I will be traveling in the near future. I was wondering how everyone that needs an animal to fly is flying with these new rules in place.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can’t take him in cabin, I would not place him on the plane. Many airlines will not fly flat-face breeds.

jaxon

Reaction score
I would never put him in cargo. I am just looking for a solution because I really can't fly without my boy.

Corrie

Reaction score
Check with the particular airline you are considering. I think some allow ESA if it is small enough to fit in a carrier under your seat and there may be an extra charge. Let us know what you find out.

jaxon

Reaction score
I called United, AA, and Southwest. All are not allowing emotional support animals, regardless of size or type of animal. However, they all allow psychiatric service dogs and regular service dogs. My Buddy might qualify, since I did teach him to ground me when I have an anxiety attack. Found this article from the place I got my esa on getting a psychiatric service dog letter. I know you don't technically need it, but I think I will feel more secure having it than not having it. This is definitely better than putting him in the cargo section, please don't judge me. Just sharing what I am doing to make sure that I have what I need.

Corrie

Reaction score
Thanks much for the information. I wish you luck with obtaining the psychiatric service dog certificate so you can fly without preventable anxiety.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I called United, AA, and Southwest. All are not allowing emotional support animals, regardless of size or type of animal. However, they all allow psychiatric service dogs and regular service dogs. My Buddy might qualify, since I did teach him to ground me when I have an anxiety attack. Found this article from the place I got my esa on getting a psychiatric service dog letter. I know you don't technically need it, but I think I will feel more secure having it than not having it. This is definitely better than putting him in the cargo section, please don't judge me. Just sharing what I am doing to make sure that I have what I need.

Best of luck... get him a service dog vest too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bliss

Reaction score
I work at Southwest Airlines. If your Frenchie is small enough to be in an pet carrier that fits under the plane seat, then the dog can fly for a fee of $90 one way. We never carry any pets as cargo (except tropical fish).

Bliss

Reaction score
The airlines will only accept professionally trained service dogs that come with a certified DOT Service Animal Air Transportation form that gives the name and contact info of the professional trainer. The dog must also display the behavior of a trained service animal.

Just putting a vest on the dog that says “service animal” will not work. And neither will a letter from a medical professional.