hydrolyzed protein dog food ( food allergies and tear stains)

Baer Rios

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their frenchie on a hydrolyzed protein vet prescribed? Im thinking of giving it a shot to try an pinpoint any food allergies since my little guy seems to suck on his leg a lot. The weird part is he only does it at night. Any recommendations on brands? I currently have him on Fromm adult salmon but, wanted to give the hydrolyzed a try. I also heard it would help with tear stains. I've been having trouble with that as well. We wipe his eyes sometimes three times a day. We use a medicated wipe, than a dry wipe, and than add coconut oil.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not and am personally not a fan of vet prescribed foods. I narrowed foods down by trial and error.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Not a fan.. those food are all fillers .. no real food to be had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I guess I don't get the connection between food allergies and sucking on his leg. One of our English Bulldogs did suck and knead his front paws mostly at night. I thought it was because he was bottle fed as a baby and didn't get enough sucking, but it could be like some kids suck their thumbs while most don't. We have had blood tests done to identify food allergies. The tests aren't perfect but they offer a guide to what foods should be eliminated.

Baer Rios

Reaction score
I wss thinking the same. I would think trial and error is the better choice.

Baer Rios

Reaction score
I wonder if thats why hes doing it. Never thought of that

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I wss thinking the same. I would think trial and error is the better choice.

Start with duck as the protein.. better chance of not having an issue

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Try a limited ingredient food, just one protein and no chicken, grains or potatoes.