Injured Hip / Leg / Foot

Calle Roo

Reaction score
So, Lil Miss Sassy Pants was allowed out of her 4x4 x-pen today. I did however gate her in to the living area adjoining my office, so I could still watch her. All day, things went well and she even pee'd on her potty pad instead of the carpet. I went downstairs to make some lunch and I heard a bit of commotion. I figured 'Typical Quella' tearing up her potty pad and shredding it to pieces. When I go back upstairs, Quella was on the couch! Yes, my 4.5 month princess was on the couch scheming a way to climb over the arm and out of the cage. I figured she used a pillow to jump from, so I moved the pillow and went back to my desk. I heard more commotion and I looked over and she is trying to jump on the couch again. On her final attempt, I sternly said 'No' but she was already in mid flight. When she fell, everything looked normal until she started walking. I ran over to rub and feel the areas and she immediately turned her head, trying to mouth my hand. When standing, she looks like her hip is in a different location in comparison to the other side. Her elbow is also very very loose and floppy. I put her in the kennel immediately to prevent her from running around while I called and made a 3:45pm appointment at the vet. I set up her x-pen again and she was holding her leg up, so it wouldn't touch the groud. Quella went potty and climbed on one of her pillows to sleep. She has used the injured leg twice to scratch her front arms and is even laying on the injured leg. I figured if it was that bad, she would be whimpering and whining and hopefully this is something that will heal on it's own. However, knowing Quella, she could be under the knife and not even let it phase her because she is so bullheaded.

I'll keep everyone posted when I get back from the vet and I'd love to hear your thoughts (other than telling me I need to watch my dog better).

XoXo Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

eeturk

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see what the vet says! In one of Hudson's many escape attempts he almost lost an eye, so I feel your pain on this one! It happens! Hope she is doing okay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor baby. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So praying it is just a pulled muscle or sprain..... please keep us posted

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Phew... It appears to be a soft tissue injury. Quella is going to take Metacam daily and if she still can't put weight on it, we're going to get an x-ray done. I feel terrible for allowing this to happen. I always make sure her area is 'puppy safe' but I never thought she'd try to jump on the couch from the floor. I'm so glad that it doesn't appear to be any worse and I pray that it doesn't turn out to be something worse.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear nothing is broken; hoping she heals fast! :heart:

karla215

Reaction score
Prayers and warm wishes for quella! I'm taking this warning and bubble wrapping my girl when I get her Friday morning!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Calle Roo

Reaction score
So far so good this evening. She luckily has had only one spout of energy in which she was throwing around her Nylabone. It didn't take her long to fall back asleep. She's a sleepy lil Roux after a rough day. What's weird is that in comparison to the uninjured leg, it's completely limp at the knee. She can use it while limping but when I gently bend the knee it's completely floppy. I noticed it since she hurt herself, and I figured the vet would've noticed it or at least said something and to be honest I was so concerned about her well being, I didn't bring it up as my mind was all over the place. I really hope this is part of her soft tissue injury and not something worse.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Hoping it is nothing serious, and she heals fast.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Oh poor girl, and poor you.
Dont blame yourself though. We cant wrap them in bubble wrap and I am sure we all had that one time our pup hurt himself at least almost and you think your the worst puppy parent but really things can and will happen ;) Fingers crossed it will heal fast and is nothing serious!

Calle Roo

Reaction score
So, Q seems to be better after taking the anti-inflammatory for almost a week. She has been off of it for two days and just my luck, today she fell down the bottom 3 stairs and later tried to climb the walls when I turned on the vacuum. Unfortunately she is limping again, but now on her right leg. I'm going to put her back on the anti-inflammatory and if by tomorrow afternoon or Sunday she isn't walking without difficulty, I'll bring her to the emergency vet for treatment. I will definitely be going next week too, to find out what supplements I can give her to add an extra boost in bone and joint growth.

Lesson learned. Just because the pup is near you, doesn't mean she can't (and won't) get away and run down the stairs faster than yourself. Oy Vey.