Long time no see, and a health related question re: change in behavior

PugandTwoFrenchies

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Not sure who may remember me here, but I used to be a little more active on this site back in 2015. (I had a pug and 2 Frenchies, hence the username)

A lot has happened since then which has kind of pulled me away from this site, but now I'm back and asking for some help, as I'm at a bit of a loss.

Firstly, we lost our sweet pug Emma this past Dec. quite suddenly. She lost interest in food, her stomach became distended, she had trouble breathing, and after an ultrasound they found 5 lumps on her liver. :( We had to put her down 2 weeks later. That's how fast it happened. We were absolutely devastated and so taken aback, as she has *never* been sick. We've never had to take her to the vet for anything, really, so to lose her so quickly was just such a shock. She was only 10 years old. (My other pug who had more issues than her lived until 15!)

10 days prior to that my dad passed away from dementia/Parkinson's, so between his death (and all of the dealings with that), then my pug dying 9 days later, 2 days after that my male Frenchie was off to the emergency hospital because he had diarrhea with blood in it, so naturally, I was scared to death. His issue cleared up with some antibiotics, but holy cow, I did NOT need a scare like that so soon after losing Emma!

Then, I had my own health problems for the next few months (undoubtedly from all of the stress in Dec.), so while I'm sort of back on track, I'm not quite 100% yet. Maybe 85%?

Anyway, enough about that.

The reason I'm posting a question in the health section is just this past weekend I have been to my regular vet and then emerg 2 times to have my female Frenchie checked out.

I've noticed for the past 2 weeks she hasn't been quite herself, and she loses interest in food and snacks here and there. She's not as playful as she once was (her brother is a *maniac* at all times!), and the fact that she turned away one of her favorite snacks, yogurt, gave me a bit of a scare. So, off to our regular vet we go.

They did x-rays, found nothing, did bloodwork, and noticed that a liver enzyme was slightly elevated, so they suspected mild pancreatitis. She was put on painkillers (because if she did have it, that would cause her tummy to be sore which would make her lose interest in food), and we had an ultrasound booked for the following Friday to confirm whether it was pancreatitis or not.

In the meantime, she was put on a low fat diet (just in case so that it wouldn't aggravate her pancreas), had her meds, and everything was sort of ok for a couple of days. Then this past Mon night we tried giving her the pain meds and she began vomiting immediately (it was in a liquid form which she *hated* the taste of), and afterwards she was shaking quite badly.

I got scared, so I took her to emerg to get some type of pain medication perhaps injected into her, because I'm thinking she has pancreatitis and if she's in pain, there's no way she's going to eat her breakfast the next day.

Well, they gave her some type of pain med, but holy cow, did it knock...her...out. I was so angry. It was NOT an equivalent drug to what she had been on, so I was scared that night also, as she was so wobbly she could barely stand.

The next morning she was still off, she didn't want to eat, so I gave her until around noon to see if she'd eat. She still didn't want to eat (not the low fat food, anyway), so I called my regular vet, and they told me to take her to the 'fancy' ER in the south of the city.

So fine, I rush her off, I meet with the vet, explain the history, and she gets an ultrasound done that afternoon. Guess what? No pancreatitis. I'm happy, but at the same time, what is it then???

He did other bloodwork to see if she perhaps had Addison's disease (on the ultrasound they noticed her adrenal glands were a little small, but he said that there's no real standard size for them, so the only way to tell if she's not producing enough cortisol is through a blood test), and turns out that was negative too.

Again, a relief, but what is causing this change in her behavior then? I was told to just watch her for any vomiting, diarrhea, worsening lethargy, etc. It's more the lethargy that's bothering me. It's not *drastic*, but it's noticeable. I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what this could be, and I"m wondering if any of you had noticed a change in your dog's behavior when they got a bit older? Penelope is 1 yr 10 months now, and I was told by several people to "wait until your dog is 2...then they will calm down". (Both of my dogs had been quite active up until this point) Her brother still is, but she isn't. She has always been a calmer dog, but I wanted to ask those of you who have more than one Frenchie, have you noticed any personality changes as they hit this age? I've heard of owners who have Frenchies that love to sleep a lot and play here and there, so I'm wondering if this is becoming Penelope's new normal?

I mean, she does still play, but just not like she used to. Am I or the vets missing something here that any of you experienced owners could shed light on?

Whew... I feel like I"ve been typing forever. Sorry for the novel!

Thanks in advance,
Sandra

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Pain medications commonly cause nausea and vomiting, that is not unusual. If she doesn't have pancreatitis, you don't need to give her any pain med. My dog is about 6 years old, and sleeps quite a bit. She seems to be active only for a short while after I return home, or when on a walk, or when she thinks she can get food, or when chewing on her tennis ball type chew toy, or if there's another dog around to play with.

PugandTwoFrenchies

Reaction score
Pain medications commonly cause nausea and vomiting, that is not unusual. If she doesn't have pancreatitis, you don't need to give her any pain med. My dog is about 6 years old, and sleeps quite a bit. She seems to be active only for a short while after I return home, or when on a walk, or when she thinks she can get food, or when chewing on her tennis ball type chew toy, or if there's another dog around to play with.

She's no longer on any pain meds. The change in behavior started before, and that's why I wanted to investigate with the vet. We stopped the pain meds yesterday morning, as there's no reason to give any to her. (She was only on pain meds from Sat night to Mon night)

At this point if there's nothing significantly medically wrong with her, is it just a change in her behavior as she's maturing? I don't know. *sigh* I wish they could talk to us!!! Hahaha

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I wonder if your dog had a virus for a couple of weeks, and hopefully will just feel better?

Mavis

Reaction score
I'm so sorry, Sandra. We start to worry whenever we notice anything different about Bambi. All I can relate is from our own experience. We got Bambi at three. She does have bouts of friskiness, however, sleeping is her favorite activity. Even when we are holding her, her eyelids will start to droop and she will fall asleep like nothing. There are times, too, when she will skip one or even two meals and turn down favorite treats. That is always alarming and my mind always starts spinning, however, she pops back to normal after a short spell of a day or so. Again, she is just a very low energy dog and loves to hang out or sleep. She isn't on her feet too long before she is laying down. Good luck; I hope you find that her behavior is her new normal. These frenchies can be a terrible worry!

Joeturbo26

Reaction score
I am no expert here by any means... but I am also no stranger to major personal life devastation throughout the past year... dealing with the death of a parent which was very long and trying. Now with that said, your timeline has a lot of serious life events... is it possible she is just a little sad/depressed? I mean we all know that these little monsters can sense our emotions and she too has probably been through a lot.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am no expert here by any means... but I am also no stranger to major personal life devastation throughout the past year... dealing with the death of a parent which was very long and trying. Now with that said, your timeline has a lot of serious life events... is it possible she is just a little sad/depressed? I mean we all know that these little monsters can sense our emotions and she too has probably been through a lot.

I was thinking this too.... stress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I agree, it could be from stress, or she may have eaten something that upset her tummy. I would keep an eye on her, and if she starts throwing up, or diarrhea, then she may have an obstruction. I hope she gets back to herself soon.

kiminmn

Reaction score
Stress is my first guess too especially since it has only been a couple of weeks. Keep an eye on her. If diarrhea starts, pay attention to that and get he in.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Welcome back! SO sorry for your loss of your father and Emma! :( I would also guess that perhaps it could be stress. I hope it passes!

blushy

Reaction score
I wish I could hug you through the screen! Ah so much at once. My grandpa passed away in 2012, and before we even had his service, we had to put down my childhood dog who was 15. It's too much all at once. I truly feel for you.

And secondly, last week? Isabelle started acting weird. Didn't want to leave her cage, wouldn't eat, kept shaking. I had rimadyl on hand and started that for 24 hours and she wasn't AS bad. Took her to the vet 48 hrs later since ~something~ was still off. She said she must've hurt her neck. And that allergies may have caused some type of infection. She gave us antibiotics, apoquel, and a different type of rimadyl/other med mix and she's 2000% back to normal. We were SO worried and she basically just had a stiff neck. Her behavior was ridiculous! Shaking like a leaf, acting like she couldn't breathe, wouldn't eat, wouldn't leave her cage, acted panicked constantly. It was really scary! If they've never been in serious pain, it could really scare them as much as it scares us. That's the only explanation I have, is Isabelle is a softy and can't handle pain! Haha.

I hope everything balances out soon, and I do agree that you being so out of it, and her losing her big sister, will also weigh on her. So it could be a mix of those things all together?

Sending love and good wishes! Penelope stop stressing your mommy out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hannah

Reaction score
I remember you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry to hear you have been/are going through all of this :( <3