Looking for Reputable Breeder

Metsfan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy our first French bulldog. We have been looking for several months to find a reputable breeder with affordable pricing, however, have found our efforts fall short in one or both categories. We’ve talked to breeders who have not been very responsive (days /weeks between answering questions), given excuses when asked to visit the premises and meet the puppies/ parents, and/or charged incredibly high prices ($5k per puppy at minimum), amongst other red flags.

We’re really not sure where to turn to to find a reputable breeder who prioritizes the health of the puppy first (along with a fit with the family buying) as well as has affordable pricing (by affordable, our budget is in the 2-3k range, which seems to be an appropriate budget when viewing other threads on the site and advice members have given others with similar questions). We live in NY, which I imagine helps inflate the prices of dogs and decreases the quality and standards that breeders are held to (one balked at answering our questions and implied that she would sell her puppies to those less inquisitive).

I’m sorry if there is a separate part of this forum that this should go to, or if this is topic that is frowned upon. We are just stuck in our search for a breeder. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy our first French bulldog. We have been looking for several months to find a reputable breeder with affordable pricing, however, have found our efforts fall short in one or both categories. We’ve talked to breeders who have not been very responsive (days /weeks between answering questions), given excuses when asked to visit the premises and meet the puppies/ parents, and/or charged incredibly high prices ($5k per puppy at minimum), amongst other red flags.

We’re really not sure where to turn to to find a reputable breeder who prioritizes the health of the puppy first (along with a fit with the family buying) as well as has affordable pricing (by affordable, our budget is in the 2-3k range, which seems to be an appropriate budget when viewing other threads on the site and advice members have given others with similar questions). We live in NY, which I imagine helps inflate the prices of dogs and decreases the quality and standards that breeders are held to (one balked at answering our questions and implied that she would sell her puppies to those less inquisitive).

I’m sorry if there is a separate part of this forum that this should go to, or if this is topic that is frowned upon. We are just stuck in our search for a breeder. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I’ll PM you... also best place to start is AKC and interview/investigate those listed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
You can also try going to some local dog shows and meet breeders that way. I know it can be frustrating but finding a reputable breeder will be well worth it.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Good advice above. I am in the NW and have recently been looking for a reputable breeder. I found one in WA State that is about 7 hours away from us. They have been breeding and showing for a lot of years and have a good reputation. They breed for health, temperament, and breed standards. They don't do "designer" colors which I really appreciate. In my search, I scratched breeders that bred "designer" pups. Their puppies are $4,000 and they have a waiting list. Really, I would rather pay more for a healthy pup up front than pay out a lot in vet bills later. We are going over Sunday to look at their kennels, breeding stock and a breeder they are retiring. She is $2,000 which seems like a lot to me but our Buster has recently become an only dog and is pretty depressed. Good luck with your search!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice above. I am in the NW and have recently been looking for a reputable breeder. I found one in WA State that is about 7 hours away from us. They have been breeding and showing for a lot of years and have a good reputation. They breed for health, temperament, and breed standards. They don't do "designer" colors which I really appreciate. In my search, I scratched breeders that bred "designer" pups. Their puppies are $4,000 and they have a waiting list. Really, I would rather pay more for a healthy pup up front than pay out a lot in vet bills later. We are going over Sunday to look at their kennels, breeding stock and a breeder they are retiring. She is $2,000 which seems like a lot to me but our Buster has recently become an only dog and is pretty depressed. Good luck with your search!

Wait...what!!!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

alice... Ruggles past?!!!! I’m so very sorry, he was a beautiful and well loved boy! :(

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

You guys might be great contenders for a rescued Frenchie. If your heart isn't set on a pup, that is. Our family wasn't considered for adoption because we have a child under 10 years old. I really wanted to adopt so that was a big bummer for us. I ended up finding a 1 year old on Hoobly that needed a new home. If you want a puppy, I would say your best bet is to go to dog shows or just email one or two show breeders and get on their wait list. Some have retired adults that need placing too.

I have a friend that just purchased a puppy two weeks ago and I believe there is one left. I don't think I am allowed to post the breeder's name on here, so please feel free to PM me if you want the kennel name.

Stuart

Reaction score
Check your inbox... if you want one more in NJ reply back.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Make sure you go and visit the kennels, see their breeding stock and their puppies. I asked all the right questions but did not get truthful answers. We had a 14 hour road trip to see a couple of 3 yr. old retired "breeders" with serious issues and were priced at $2,000. Bummer!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Good advise already. It is hard finding a good reputable breed now days. But they are out there. Go to dog shows and talk to the show breeders, or consider a rescue, there are a lot of good Frenchies needing a loving home. I know some good breeders but they all have waiting list. Once you find one you will more than likely get on a waiting list also. Please stay away from the (exotic) colors. Any breeder that breeds that crap is not a reputable breeder and is only breeding for money.

AstrosMama

Reaction score
I got my frenchie from XXXXXXXXX (they're based in Houston, TX) and I also recommend XXXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I got my frenchie from XXXXXXXXX (they're based in Houston, TX) and I also recommend XXXXXXX

I had to remove the references to breeder names as that is not allowed on threads.

Mavis

Reaction score
alice... Ruggles past?!!!! I’m so very sorry, he was a beautiful and well loved boy! :(

I wondered the same thing but thought I missed a post. I hope you all are okay. It is horrible to lose a beloved pet companion. God bless.

Mavis

Reaction score
[MENTION=3355]Metsfan[/MENTION], good luck with your search. We got Bambi as a retired breeder when she was three. Best thing we ever did. She came to us calm, loving, fully crate trained, chill, and the perfect angel. In addition, we got her for substantially less than what a puppy would have been, not that that is why we chose her. She just was the most beautiful angel and everything just fit. Nothing cuter than a puppy, but I don't think my husband and I have the energy for a baby. We'll see; all you have to do is fall in love and then the heart wants what it wants.

The main thing is take your time and do your research. You will find one. You will not regret it as they are the most wonderful breed. Big dogs in little dog bodies.