Marking??

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the long round-about story...

I've been frustrated because Gracie (4.5 months) has been marking Gus' bed and the blanket that they lay on in the kitchen. I'm certain that it's marking because, yesterday morning, she ran inside after her potty break, jumped on his bed (which I hadn't removed yet because he was still sleeping), then proceeded to pee a little on it after he jumped out. She never pees in her own bed (Gus never uses her bed) or her crate.

This is no huge deal (the bed and blanket are easily machine washable), I just feel guilty that I have to take away *his* bed when she's out of the crate, due to *her* behavior.

Fast forward to later that day. Gus came out for a potty break with Gracie. I knew he had to go because he hadn't been out in hours (he tends to hold it, and is too lazy to go out as much as I think he should), but instead of going off to do his business, he was out enjoying the sunshine laying in the grass and pulling him self along military crawl style, like he tends to do. It didn't occur to me until that evening that I think he may have also been peeing!!

I need to back up and add that, for about a month, Gus been smelling less like his normal doggy b.o. (that flares up when his allergies do) and giving off a more ammonia-like odor. I knew that he wasn't having issues with incontinence or wetting his bed or anything; so I just chalked it up to stinky dog syndrome (just made term that up, lol) and washed his bed every couple days.

This afternoon, when he went out to potty, he was doing the same military crawl, so I went over and looked at his stomach, and sure enough, it did seem like it was a little damp!!!

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of this behavior before? Do you think he's doing just because it's relaxing and pleasurable to pee and stretch at the same time? Do you think that it's some weird way of marking, where he is getting himself smelly and then lounges in his bed to transfer his scent, rather than actually marking inside the house?

This is so bizarre to me.

Obviously, I will be more diligent and wipe down his belly often (now that I know the odor is not just radiating from his skin), and try to get him to pee before he lays out in the sun. Hopefully, this will take care of Gracie's marking issue, but I am just curious about this behavior in general.

Thoughts?

GraciesMom

Reaction score
I have not experienced this but I wonder since Gracie is soiling his territory if he's doing this to protect where he "marks" so that Gracie won't come and pee over top of his spot. Perhaps I'm giving him too much credit for strategic thinking. Just a thought.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Never experienced the peeing while laying/stretching.

As Louie got older, he would start to mark Jax's bed and the toybox and the trash can and everything else. He got neutered at just over 11 months and the marking indoors stopped. This does not seem to be your situation though. I know nothing about females marking.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Oh no...I don't really have any advice or experience with this. Daphne did pee on some blankets, the couch and carpets when we first brought her home but I don't know if it was marking because she was new in the house and my other dog was the resident dog, or if she simply just needed a refresher course in proper places to go. She hasn't had an accident since then.

Your situation is a total puzzler. I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with it :(

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I guess I don't have to understand it to fix the problem. I'm hoping that if Gus is less stinky, and his bed is less stinky, then Gracie won't feel the need to mark his bed.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I don't have to understand it to fix the problem. I'm hoping that if Gus is less stinky, and his bed is less stinky, then Gracie won't feel the need to mark his bed.

Any improvement so far?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Any improvement so far?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure, since I've still been putting away the bed and blanket in the morning. Lol
I'll give it a couple weeks before purposely testing it out.