Nare surgery expectations

Mavis

Reaction score
Jelly is having nare surgery in four days. I'm a mess. The vet is doing laser. He explained it to us and said that his nostrils will be pink for a while but will eventually heal back to black. Is this normal? The before and afters I've seen have not shown pink. The vet said he does approx. 6-8 nare and palate surgeries (laser) a year. What was the recovery timeline for people who have had laser?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly is having nare surgery in four days. I'm a mess. The vet is doing laser. He explained it to us and said that his nostrils will be pink for a while but will eventually heal back to black. Is this normal? The before and afters I've seen have not shown pink. The vet said he does approx. 6-8 nare and palate surgeries (laser) a year. What was the recovery timeline for people who have had laser?

Jelly will benefit from having more open nostrils.

It should be less recovery time with the laser surgery.
No vet here would do the laser surgery, so Rusty’s recovery time was 3-4 weeks until his nostrils had the stitches out and his nostrils went back from pink to black in color.
That’s normal of it being pink during recovery.

That’s great if he does that many of these surgeries in a year, the more experienced in the frenchies and these surgeries, the better it is.

When Rusty had his nares done, he also had his soft palate surgery at the same time, I also have the before and after photos of that too.

I recommend getting the vet to take a photo of his soft palate while he has the surgery(you can only see it when they are under anesthesia or sedated, and at least then you know how long the soft palate is and if you need to get that surgery done soon).

Does Jelly need the soft palate surgery too?

I will attach before and after photos of Rusty’s nostrils(he was sleeping in some of the photos):

Nostrils very narrow before surgery:
1688866790072.jpeg

AFTER surgery while healing:
1688866853865.jpeg

1688866893285.jpeg

This is after his nares healed and are now back to black:
1688866998728.jpeg

This is a more recent photo(his surgery was almost 2 years ago):
1688867175092.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
Jelly will benefit from having more open nostrils.

It should be less recovery time with the laser surgery.
No vet here would do the laser surgery, so Rusty’s recovery time was 3-4 weeks until his nostrils had the stitches out and his nostrils went back from pink to black in color.
That’s normal of it being pink during recovery.

That’s great if he does that many of these surgeries in a year, the more experienced in the frenchies and these surgeries, the better it is.

When Rusty had his nares done, he also had his soft palate surgery at the same time, I also have the before and after photos of that too.

I recommend getting the vet to take a photo of his soft palate while he has the surgery(you can only see it when they are under anesthesia or sedated, and at least then you know how long the soft palate is and if you need to get that surgery done soon).

Does Jelly need the soft palate surgery too?

I will attach before and after photos of Rusty’s nostrils(he was sleeping in some of the photos):

Nostrils very narrow before surgery:
View attachment 16214

AFTER surgery while healing:
View attachment 16215

View attachment 16216

This is after his nares healed and are now back to black:
View attachment 16217

This is a more recent photo(his surgery was almost 2 years ago):
View attachment 16218
First off, that dog is an angel!!!!! What a complete sweetie and so beautiful! Jelly is a wild man but totally sweet. I hope he calms his fanny down once he has been neutered.

Thank you for sharing your photos - very helpful! For some reason, I am okay with having his nares and neuter done, but for now am putting the palate surgery on hold. The vet was going to do that at the same time as the others, but I cancelled it. I'm sure we will do it in the future, but I just can't manage putting him through all three at once. We'll get through the first two procedures and reschedule for the palate once he is fully recovered.

Thanks for your help!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
First off, that dog is an angel!!!!! What a complete sweetie and so beautiful! Jelly is a wild man but totally sweet. I hope he calms his fanny down once he has been neutered.

Thank you for sharing your photos - very helpful! For some reason, I am okay with having his nares and neuter done, but for now am putting the palate surgery on hold. The vet was going to do that at the same time as the others, but I cancelled it. I'm sure we will do it in the future, but I just can't manage putting him through all three at once. We'll get through the first two procedures and reschedule for the palate once he is fully recovered.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you, Rusty is definitely a sweet angel.
I love it when he sits like that, it’s hard to say no to that face!

Jelly sounds like a sweetie too, I can’t say for sure if he will calm down after he gets neutered or not. Some dogs do calm down, Some dont. Rusty didn’t calm down after the neuter, but he was 6 months when he got neutered(I wish I had waited until 18-24 months but I didn’t know that then and just listened to the vet back then🙁).

Any recent photos of Jelly? You haven’t put up a photo of him for a long time on here , he must be full grown now?

At least he can get thru this surgery first, and the vet can also check it and confirm with you whether he needs the palate surgery for sure or not.

Mavis

Reaction score
Thank you, Rusty is definitely a sweet angel.
I love it when he sits like that, it’s hard to say no to that face!

Jelly sounds like a sweetie too, I can’t say for sure if he will calm down after he gets neutered or not. Some dogs do calm down, Some dont. Rusty didn’t calm down after the neuter, but he was 6 months when he got neutered(I wish I had waited until 18-24 months but I didn’t know that then and just listened to the vet back then🙁).

Any recent photos of Jelly? You haven’t put up a photo of him for a long time on here , he must be full grown now?

At least he can get thru this surgery first, and the vet can also check it and confirm with you whether he needs the palate surgery for sure or not.
Jelly's a wild man, but we love him so much. He is really a clown and we laugh at his shenanigans every day.

I'll get some recent pictures and send them to you.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly's a wild man, but we love him so much. He is really a clown and we laugh at his shenanigans every day.

I'll get some recent pictures and send them to you.

Their personalities are just incredible!
We say that about Rusty too, he is like a clown that is funny, I think that’s a frenchie thing. They are definitely funny dogs.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How did it go? Cheli had it done, if I remember right it was laser... look really sore the day of and after, but he was totally unfazed by it

Mavis

Reaction score
How did it go? Cheli had it done, if I remember right it was laser... look really sore the day of and after, but he was totally unfazed by it
It went great!!!! Better than I had ever hoped. Honestly, his nose seemed almost completely fine afterward. I wouldn't even say angry looking. I just can't get over how well he is doing. When we brought him home, he was subdued but he barely slept in the car (an hour ride home), and he seemed perfectly fine in the office when we met with the vet. I was a wreck leading up to Weds. We are two days out and we have to stop him from playing. I give him half a trazadone at a time and it honestly doesn't phase him too much. He's still walking around and alert as usual, just not wild like he normally is. I wonder how he will be in about a month after his neuter. His palate doesn't seem to be bothering him whatsoever. We go back next Saturday to have his sutures removed from his neuter site, even though they did laser on that, too. Thanks to you and @Rusty’s Owner for your concern!!!!!!

Attachments

• Nares before.jpg
    Nares before.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Nares after.jpg
    Nares after.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 6

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
It went great!!!! Better than I had ever hoped. Honestly, his nose seemed almost completely fine afterward. I wouldn't even say angry looking. I just can't get over how well he is doing. When we brought him home, he was subdued but he barely slept in the car (an hour ride home), and he seemed perfectly fine in the office when we met with the vet. I was a wreck leading up to Weds. We are two days out and we have to stop him from playing. I give him half a trazadone at a time and it honestly doesn't phase him too much. He's still walking around and alert as usual, just not wild like he normally is. I wonder how he will be in about a month after his neuter. His palate doesn't seem to be bothering him whatsoever. We go back next Saturday to have his sutures removed from his neuter site, even though they did laser on that, too. Thanks to you and @Rusty’s Owner for your concern!!!!!!

That’s great news Jelly is recovering good!

It was hard to keep Rusty calm and not playing after his surgery too! At least we know they want to play and must be feeling good!

The before and after photos look great, what a difference!

Keep us updated on his recovery🙂

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What great news.... so happy to hear he is doing so well!

🆕 Latest posts