Nasal hyperkeratosis

sev

Reaction score
Does anyone’s pup have a chronic issue with nasal hyperkeratosis? I have an endless supply of coconut oil and snout soother, but nothing seems to work anymore. When I first started applying snout soother, it worked well and the crusties fell right off. My pup is now 8 years old and I’m noticing that the usual balms and coconut oil that I apply aren’t as effective anymore and end up just making the nose crustier.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Does anyone’s pup have a chronic issue with nasal hyperkeratosis? I have an endless supply of coconut oil and snout soother, but nothing seems to work anymore. When I first started applying snout soother, it worked well and the crusties fell right off. My pup is now 8 years old and I’m noticing that the usual balms and coconut oil that I apply aren’t as effective anymore and end up just making the nose crustier.
I was using the Natural Dog Company Snout Soother on Rusty’s nose cause it was dry and crusty but the key I find is to do it when he is sleeping and I cover his mouth so he doesn’t lick it all off to make it not effective.

Diet can also cause this sometimes, which interestingly, I was needing to put it on Rusty’s nose and use paw balms Daily! Or at minimum 1-2 times a week cause his paw pads were always cracking and that was 2 years ago when he wasn’t on the greatest food, since being on raw diet for over a year, I actually haven’t had to use any balms.
Rusty’s paw pads are soft and not cracking or irritated, it definitely helps when they get all the nutrients they need thru diet and it improves the immune system which reflects on the skin.

How long has her nose been very crusty for?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you rub the nose with warm water before applying the oil or soother? I learned with my on bulldog, without doing that first, no matter what I used it did not work.

sev

Reaction score
I was using the Natural Dog Company Snout Soother on Rusty’s nose cause it was dry and crusty but the key I find is to do it when he is sleeping and I cover his mouth so he doesn’t lick it all off to make it not effective.

Diet can also cause this sometimes, which interestingly, I was needing to put it on Rusty’s nose and use paw balms Daily! Or at minimum 1-2 times a week cause his paw pads were always cracking and that was 2 years ago when he wasn’t on the greatest food, since being on raw diet for over a year, I actually haven’t had to use any balms.
Rusty’s paw pads are soft and not cracking or irritated, it definitely helps when they get all the nutrients they need thru diet and it improves the immune system which reflects on the skin.

How long has her nose been very crusty for?
I’m hoping Bailey’s new diet will improve the nose situation! She’s had the nose problem for at least 4ish years now.

Do you rub the nose with warm water before applying the oil or soother? I learned with my on bulldog, without doing that first, no matter what I used it did not work.
I usually massage the nose with warm water when I give her a bath but never did both. I’ll try this though, thanks!

🆕 Latest posts