New Food Suggestions

cmeyer9424

Reaction score
Hi all,
After reading this thread I thought I might jump in for some advice, because it sounds relevant to whats happening to my little guy.
We were told that Royal Cannin and Science Diet were also great brands, we used the Royal Cannin for the past 4 months and have slowly introduced the Science Diet Chicken blend. I had noticed he is constantly itching and licking his paws didnt think much of it in till I seen a little sore at the back of his ear, we took him to the vet and found he had a yeast infection in his both ears- hence why he was constantly itching his ears.
After reading this thread Im starting to think the Science Diet could be reason why, and I feel awful for it.
Were all new to Frenchies and so looking for other food alternatives. He currently eats brown rice, lots of vegetables and his favourite lamb hearts! We will now look into the Fromms as that seems to be the go too!
Any advice to whether the Science Diet is the culprit to the yeast infection?

I would think so! Our little guy had yeast infection on his stomach and his ears on the last vet check before switching. The food, to me, seems to be the cause of it. I’m hoping to try a different flavor at some point and maybe even try grain free later on and see how he does.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, so I have finished the first bag of Fromm and all is good so far. The transition went great, he loves the food. Still shedding a lot but his discolored area on his stomach has gotten a lot better. I went to Hollywood feed today and was going to try another flavor than chicken but in the 4 star line they don’t have flavors more like puppy, adult, small bite, and weight management. They had other flavors that still had grain but didn’t have the same four start bag, would these be okay to just try or should I do the same transition process?

Stay with the four star grain free and you can switch flavors at will without tummy issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
After reading this thread I thought I might jump in for some advice, because it sounds relevant to whats happening to my little guy.
We were told that Royal Cannin and Science Diet were also great brands, we used the Royal Cannin for the past 4 months and have slowly introduced the Science Diet Chicken blend. I had noticed he is constantly itching and licking his paws didnt think much of it in till I seen a little sore at the back of his ear, we took him to the vet and found he had a yeast infection in his both ears- hence why he was constantly itching his ears.
After reading this thread Im starting to think the Science Diet could be reason why, and I feel awful for it.
Were all new to Frenchies and so looking for other food alternatives. He currently eats brown rice, lots of vegetables and his favourite lamb hearts! We will now look into the Fromms as that seems to be the go too!
Any advice to whether the Science Diet is the culprit to the yeast infection?

Science diet is all grains and meals... not a good food at all

cmeyer9424

Reaction score
Stay with the four star grain free and you can switch flavors at will without tummy issues

I misspoke early, he is on Fromm Gold, the purple bag. I was on Fromms website and the four star is the one with the flavor variety and the Gold is life stages without flavor options. Both include grain. I’m thinking there wouldn’t need to be a transition phase but wanted to make sure.

Here is the link to what he is currently on:
https://frommfamily.com/products/dog/gold/dry/#small-breed-adult-gold