New puppy worries

HugosMama

Reaction score
Thinking of you and your sweet little guy and praying for a good outcome!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
It sounds like you are going to the right place for help. The poor little guy. Prayers and hugs to you.

winginit66

Reaction score
Here is the latest. Barium fluoroscopy indicated that the food is processing normally through the esophagus. However, the valve / sphincter that should close the stomach off from the esophagus is not doing its job. Whether that is a congenital defect or a developmental issue is not clear at this time. He is staying at VT to be on injectable medication to try and prevent the acid reflux irritation from getting any worse in the esophagus. Dr. said he would give it a week on the meds and re-assess at that time. So... he will be in ICU for a couple days. I am hoping and praying that it is the latter of the two I mentioned above, and with the right support and meds he will be able to overcome this. He certainly is a spunky little guy. Thanks for all of your kind words and prayers.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Awww, poor little guy. I sure hope it is the latter also and that it can be fixed sooner rather than later! Leo, John and I are all thinking about you and that little boy!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the latest. Barium fluoroscopy indicated that the food is processing normally through the esophagus. However, the valve / sphincter that should close the stomach off from the esophagus is not doing its job. Whether that is a congenital defect or a developmental issue is not clear at this time. He is staying at VT to be on injectable medication to try and prevent the acid reflux irritation from getting any worse in the esophagus. Dr. said he would give it a week on the meds and re-assess at that time. So... he will be in ICU for a couple days. I am hoping and praying that it is the latter of the two I mentioned above, and with the right support and meds he will be able to overcome this. He certainly is a spunky little guy. Thanks for all of your kind words and prayers.

Continued prayers for you sweet little boy.... Please keep us posted

winginit66

Reaction score
Hi all, VA Tech has called twice. Wilson is doing OK. No more issues with the regurgitation past what he was trying to process after all of the barium. He did eat last night, kept it down and has had a normal poop. He is apparently the current doll of the ICU... This is my first experience with the Veterinary Hospital at VA Tech. Can't say enough good things about them! At any rate, Mike and I are cautiously optimistic at this point... Olivia is missing her brother. One of her ears is starting to come up! That is really cool to see. Some good mixed in with the bad... I'm feeling a little loopy as I think the most consecutive hours of sleep I have had since last Friday is 4, and that was Monday night.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear good news about Wilson. I'm sure he is getting lots of attention at VA Tech. And Olivia has an ear popping up! She's right on schedule! We're sending positive thoughts!

Reaction score
Hi all,

We picked up the bother/sister on Saturday, who are 7 weeks old. Olivia is a tank, no issues eating, pooping, etc. Wilson was the runt, and I have noticed the following. He seems to aspirate water when drinking, and his food is also coming back out his nose and smells really strong / acidic. I am wondering if it is possibly reflux issue, or the fact that he is just not developed fully yet. I will be calling the vet first thing in the AM. Also worried about taking him in with only 1 vaccination series in him. He is alert, active and is eating well, just has things I am not familiar with afterwards - with or without activity. He spews stuff out of his nose and then opens his mouth like a fish out of water.

Will keep all updated, but if anyone has any words of wisdom in the meantime I will probably sleep better.

Anne
I just posted this for someone else. http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_gastroesophageal_reflux#.Us2Y8bQuQng. Here's what the basic article says, use the link to read more:Gastroesophageal Reflux in Dogs

Gastroesophageal reflux is a condition characterized by the uncontrollable reverse flow of gastric or intestinal fluids into the tube connecting the throat and the stomach (esophagus). This may be due to a brief relaxation of the muscular opening at the base of the esophagus (referred to as the sphincter), as well as chronic vomiting. Gastroesophageal reflux is fairly common in dogs, and may occur at any age, although younger dogs are at greater risk.

The gastric stomach acid, pepsin, bile salts, and other components of the gastrointestinal juices cause damage to the protective mucus lining the esophagus. This can result in inflammation of the esophagus (esophagitis).

The condition or disease described in this medical article can affect both dogs and cats. If you would like to learn more about how this disease affects cats, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.

Reaction score
Yeah, works the same way in children. It's more common in male children and most babies outgrow it as they start to crawl and walk which strengthens the muscles in the stomach. I didn't see this update until after I posted the link to the PetMD article. PS: Tug O War is excellent for building total body strength.

winginit66

Reaction score
I just posted this for someone else. http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_gastroesophageal_reflux#.Us2Y8bQuQng. Here's what the basic article says, use the link to read more:Gastroesophageal Reflux in Dogs

Gastroesophageal reflux is a condition characterized by the uncontrollable reverse flow of gastric or intestinal fluids into the tube connecting the throat and the stomach (esophagus). This may be due to a brief relaxation of the muscular opening at the base of the esophagus (referred to as the sphincter), as well as chronic vomiting. Gastroesophageal reflux is fairly common in dogs, and may occur at any age, although younger dogs are at greater risk.

The gastric stomach acid, pepsin, bile salts, and other components of the gastrointestinal juices cause damage to the protective mucus lining the esophagus. This can result in inflammation of the esophagus (esophagitis).

The condition or disease described in this medical article can affect both dogs and cats. If you would like to learn more about how this disease affects cats, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.

Thanks Kris! I've been doing quite a bit of reading myself... sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it can just freak you out even more!!! I am anxiously awaiting our 7PM update tonight. I just hope, hope, hope this is something he can grow out of. I may be fooling myself there, but have to hope.

Anne

mhuinker

Reaction score
Anne, good to hear about little Wilson! I hope it only gets better from here, and you are in our thoughts, as is Wilson of course! Awwww, I bet little Olivia is just a doll, would love to see her little ear up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

winginit66

Reaction score
OK, continuing good news coming to us from VT. Wilson had a great day (a little diarrhea, but that it to be expected with all of the stress). Absolutely no regurgitation episodes. As they call my husband's cell, I don't get details and he stops actively listening once he hears - he is improving. At any rate... they did do an ultrasound to check for something stomach related that they were concerned about, but didn't see what they were looking for. They've called in a nutritionist who recommends that he be on a low fat diet, which should help w/ the acid reflux. They will have specifics on everything that was done for him. He is alert, active and playful and is the star of the show. We will probably be able to bring him home tomorrow. Lots of questions to write down so they all won't fly out of my head as soon as we get there! So grateful that we have this wonderful facility in our state and we are less than 45 minutes away! Maybe I will be able to sleep tonight. Thank you all again for keeping us in your thoughts. :grouphug:

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
I am so happy for you, Anne. I can't imagine how exhausted you must be.
I can't wait to see Olivia's ears !!

Get better,Wilson!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
What a relief Anne, I've been reading all your updates today while on the road. I'm so glad he's kept his food down. Baby steps are good ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhuinker

Reaction score
Great news Anne!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

winginit66

Reaction score
I am going to post this here since I mentioned the ear! And more exciting than this is that we get to pick Wilson up at 4PM today!

DSC_4257.jpg DSC_4258.jpg DSC_4259.jpg

Last edited: