People Food options

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Quella La Roux, my 4.5 month Frenchie is on Orijen Puppy food as well as Orijen Bison treats. I've also been giving her vanilla yogurt, kiwi, apples and oranges, as a treat in a bowl. I never feed her from hand or table scraps.

What people foods do you give your Frenchie and in what quantities, such as fruits, veggies, cottage cheese, meats, etc?

Does anyone have any neat 'Pinterest' style posters on toxic foods for dogs that I can hang on the side of the fridge? I cut one out of Fetch magazine, but it only has 15 or so items listed.

Balancing.jpg

Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I sometimes give Jax some blueberries in with his food for breakfast. At dinner, will usually throw in some green beans or carrots or a mix of peas & carrots. If I have watermelon, he will get a few little pieces. Every now and then some popcorn (no salt or butter). Maybe a spoonful of cottage cheese mixed with his kibble here and there. He has also had apple and bananas as well. I always put these goodies in his bowl as well, never from my hand as I do not want him to start begging for food.

You should only introduce a new food one at a time so you know if he/she does okay with it and has no reactions.

I recently did a Google search for foods okay to give and not okay to give and then printed out a list and put it on my fridge.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Toxic foods are Raisins, grapes, chocolate, onions, garlic (in very large doses)--- there is a list and I will try to find and post back

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We will give ours a bite or two of blueberries, banana, sometimes a piece of apple, green beans, sometimes a spoonful of peanut butter or yogurt.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Maple is on a raw diet with occassional Chia Seeds and Quinoa. Both are very healthy for humans and dogs.
She also LOVES bananas! You could mince some parsley or kale and see if your dog likes that. Its high in Chlorophyll which helps with digestion,infections and strengthens the red blood cells.Plus parsley is also really good for doggy breath.

I once seen a really nice detailed list of harmful food at a holistic pet store once but I havent seen it again...

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to add: You can also give an egg to her. We feed a raw egg with shell once a week. But you can only feed them with shell if you know they are organic and not sprayed with chemicals. The eggs from the grocery store usually are sprayed to make them look cleaner.

lkclark

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to add: You can also give an egg to her. We feed a raw egg with shell once a week. But you can only feed them with shell if you know they are organic and not sprayed with chemicals. The eggs from the grocery store usually are sprayed to make them look cleaner.

That's awesome. Egg yolks (raw or cooked) also aid in the prevention of macular degeneration.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Yup and with the shell its a perfect calcium - phosphorus 'cocktail'.

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Q-Roux loved strawberries, blueberries and green beans so far this week. I definitely am going to try the egg, but am nervous she may choke as she doesn't chew any of her food and would hate for the shell to get lodged. Next time I visit Whole Foods or Sprouts I'm going to look at their egg selection, so I can atleast give Q the insides.

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Quella had an egg tonight before dinner. I couldn't give her the shell, just yet. She was hesitant when she first smelled it then she slurped the whole thing up. I was anxious to see how it handled in her tummy, so I held off from feeding her for about an hour. She did just fine. Thanks so much for the suggestions so far!

Egg.jpg

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Aww look at her cute little face sayin 'umm.. mommy? Whats this on the plate?' :D I am glad she enjoyed it!

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Well, the egg didn't go very well. Q had what I'd like to call sprinkler butt. She literally was spraying poo out 2-4". No more 'un' cooked eggs for her fragile stomach.

So, today I tried a whole frozen carrot (at the recommendation of others) to ease her bleeding teething gums. She was hesitant at first and gnawed on the end. I started eating lunch and looked over and half the carrot was gone. There is no way she created bite sized pieces that quickly, so I'm afraid she broke it in 2 pieces roughly 1-1.5" long and swallowed them. Is there anything I should look for to see if the carrot was too big and may cause internal distress? -scared mommy-

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her scared mommy too!

Carrot.jpg

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear her stomach couldnt handle the egg :(

As for the carrot, she should be fine. You will likely find big pieces of it in the poop. A dogs stomach is VERY acidy (way more acidy than a humans) so even though dogs stomachs arent the greatest at digesting veggis and fruit it still broke down the majority of it.
However if you dont see any poop or she has a hard time pooping and nothing is coming out she may be impacted. But its more likely itll just pass through. I know its gross but definitely keep an eye on her poop to see if it comes out ;)

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Phew. She went potty normally and there is even 'shredded' carrot in the stool. So far so good.

Thanks so much for listening as well as providing advice and comfort. You guys are great!

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
My two are raw fed. They love egg raw or poached/boiled, carrots, apple, dried whitebait. Hugo goes haywire for banana Winston spits it out!