Pigeons chest & breeding?

Frenchiemom1988

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a newbie to the forum. One of my females was recently diagnosed with a very mild case of pigeons chest. To my surprise, when I asked my vet what this means as far as breeding, he advised “I wouldn’t let his prevent you from breeding her”. Before he said that I automatically assumed this would be a definite no no for breeding, so I have been trying to find as much information as possible. Her lungs and heart are not affected so at this point it seems to be mostly a “cosmetic” issue. My dogs have been health tested and both are clear minus this for my female. I cannot find much information regarding the matter and I have been in contact with her breeder who hasn’t been much help thus far either. Does anyone have any experience with the issue? Is my vet foolish for on advising that this shouldn’t prevent me from breeding? I do plan on bringing her to another vet for a second opinion but I’m the meantime opinions and experiences are welcome!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a newbie to the forum. One of my females was recently diagnosed with a very mild case of pigeons chest. To my surprise, when I asked my vet what this means as far as breeding, he advised “I wouldn’t let his prevent you from breeding her”. Before he said that I automatically assumed this would be a definite no no for breeding, so I have been trying to find as much information as possible. Her lungs and heart are not affected so at this point it seems to be mostly a “cosmetic” issue. My dogs have been health tested and both are clear minus this for my female. I cannot find much information regarding the matter and I have been in contact with her breeder who hasn’t been much help thus far either. Does anyone have any experience with the issue? Is my vet foolish for on advising that this shouldn’t prevent me from breeding? I do plan on bringing her to another vet for a second opinion but I’m the meantime opinions and experiences are welcome!

Welcome to FBN.... thank you for doing and wanting to find the research befor moving forward.
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] may have insight, he breeds and shows Frenchies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Me personally, I would not breed her, but that's just me. Any defect that might be sent down to a pup I don't do it.