Puppy House-Training

Patsy271

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I brought my 9 week old puppy home on Thursday. He has had first vaccination and worming/flea treatment. I have managed to anticipate wee/pooing on a few occasions, by taking him out at the right time and praised him well. The rest of the time I haven't been able to catch him in time. How long does it usually take before they let you know they need to go?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My guy took two full years to get on a good schedule, but at the age of 13 now—- he still NEVER indicates he needs to go so we keep a two-three hour potty schedule when we are at home with them

Patsy271

Reaction score
My guy took two full years to get on a good schedule, but at the age of 13 now—- he still NEVER indicates he needs to go so we keep a two-three hour potty schedule when we are at home with them
Thank you. I've noticed that he keeps sniffing his bum when he needs a poo. Which is fine if I didn't have to work!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
All of mine were around 5 - 6 months of age. At 9 weeks old, there will definitely be accidents. Make sure you establish a routine of taking him out to potty and give praise and/or high value treats when he does go. Generally speaking, at that age you want to take them out about 15 minutes after eating or drinking, after playing and after waking up. If he doesn't go, you can put him in a crate for a bit, then take him outside again, etc.

For all of mine, our routine was scoop them up and take them out the backdoor to the yard for potty time. So then they associated the backdoor with needing to potty and one day, each one just magically went to the backdoor indicating they needed to potty.

🆕 Latest posts