Puppy Pimples?

avettsmom

Reaction score
20160229_132515_resized.jpg
Hi Guys and Gals! I'm in need of some help! My little pup has these little red bumps on her lip. They started out pretty small but have gotten bigger and have spread a little bit more. I've been using Natural Dog Company Skin Soother (too early to see results from use) to see if it helps but was just curious as to what it was. I noticed she didn't start getting them until she started chewing on her bully stick. I wash her dog bowl out every night with soap and warm water just in case it is just some form of dermatitis (this is what the vet thinks it is) but he wants to give her oral antibiotics to get rid of it. Am I being a worry wart and this is perfectly normal and will go away or should I go ahead and get the RX filled by the vet?

New puppy mom,
Deborah

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Does look like pimples.... Any inside mouth or on other side? How old is she?

:welcome3: to FBN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avettsmom

Reaction score
Hello 2BullyMama! None on the inside of her mouth. Just the outside along the edge on that one side. She is 4 months old.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
At 4 months puppy warts are possible, but this picture looks like pimples--- i would keep it clean and stop the bully stick... They are nasty and choking hazards. If they spread then it is puppy warts and there is nothing to do but let it run its course.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax had puppy warts but he had clusters of them inside of his mouth as well as one big one on his lip. Warts look more cauliflower head like. What kind of bowls are you using? I have read that plastic bowls can cause pimples (and this did in fact happen to my parents cat).

avettsmom

Reaction score
Thank you! Other than bully sticks, what are other good edible chews for puppies? I've given her the Yak Sticks that are all natural and gentle on their puppy teeth but she gets bored with it. She loves her bully stick but would love to find something else that entertains her and doesn't smell. I think they are gross too but she is teething :(

avettsmom

Reaction score
Hello Cbrugs! I have stainless steel bowls and I wash her bowl out every night after she gets her dinner. Her bumps are round and smooth. Look like little mosquito bites.

Nu2frenchie

Reaction score
Thank you! Other than bully sticks, what are other good edible chews for puppies? I've given her the Yak Sticks that are all natural and gentle on their puppy teeth but she gets bored with it. She loves her bully stick but would love to find something else that entertains her and doesn't smell. I think they are gross too but she is teething :(
We give ours a large whimz stix and allow her a certain amount of time a each day with it. When it gets smaller we throw it out to avoid any choking. She is obsessed with these.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

I use frozen marrow bones, antlers and nylabones. The smell of bully sticks is so gross--- you know what they are made from, right?

avettsmom

Reaction score
I figured it was a tendon or something? I have heard that marrow bones and antlers I have to wait until they are at least 6 months old or when they lose their puppy teeth. Is that right?

- - - Updated - - -

We give ours a large whimz stix and allow her a certain amount of time a each day with it. When it gets smaller we throw it out to avoid any choking. She is obsessed with these.

Whim stix? I will look I to that! Thank you! Okay for a 4 mth old pup?

Nu2frenchie

Reaction score
I figured it was a tendon or something? I have heard that marrow bones and antlers I have to wait until they are at least 6 months old or when they lose their puppy teeth. Is that right?

- - - Updated - - -

Whim stix? I will look I to that! Thank you! Okay for a 4 mth old pup?

You can order from chewy.com they are under Whimzees. We buy the large whimz stix and let her use it a few times a day then throw out when it gets too small. Reese's age is 5 months. Not sure on age requirements but we watch her with them (they are a dental treat with all natural ingredients). We limit chew time d/t her age plus it takes her awhile but this has satisfied her need to want to chew on everything. Plus we bought a toy that looks like a piece of wood-supposedly made out of real wood (she loves this). She no longer chews on chair legs or wood work throughout the house. Best of luck!!

Just checked online and Whimzees are NOT recommended for dogs under 9 months. Unsure why?? I may need to reconsider but I also just emailed the company for an explanation as well.