Quella - 3 vs. Mommy - 0

Tgirl

Reaction score
Yay Q! The veterinarian that I work with tells everyone that you either need to train them to use the potty pad, or the grass. It's confusing to them to use both when they are learning. I can't say from personal experience. I've never trained one to use the pads. I have been fortunate enough to either be home to take them out, husband be home to take them out, or just take them to work with me. I know that when I got my late Pekingese she was almost 5 months. I was pet sitting for her for some clients that had bought her for someone else but that person didn't want her. They asked me to keep her while they went on vacation because the person keeping their other dogs only came a couple times a day to let them out and she was a pup. Anyway, they never came back to get her basically but when they would bring her to the Vet hospital where I work they always complained about how she wasn't catching on whatsoever to house training, and growling at them when she would eat, and not coming when called. I never saw any of these issues. I crated her, and she trained quickly. She tried that growling a few times but i nipped that in the bud and that was that. I never figured out the recall because she always came when called. I think I've gotten off of the subject a bit. (Sorry about that), but my point was that being consistent is key.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Congrats on the breakthrough!!

She's just a typical French bulldog puppy, she's not a monster. :) I'm very glad you signed up for training classes. They are more for training owners than the puppies, and it's great for her to socialize with other pups.

One potty training tip that worked well for us is when I took Wally out for potty I had his collar and leash on him and walked him around the yard to simulate going for a walk. If he's goofing off or sniffing too much I would stop and just stand there until he went potty. I was lucky though because Uma really helped potty train him so we didn't have that many accidents in the house.

Wally is high energy as well. When the weather isn't ideal for being outside (Canadian winters can be tough) I play with him inside and do some training/tricks. Mental stimulation will help relieve the boredom.

Definitely don't give in. Consistency is what will help her learn. It sounds like she's a lot like Wally, very enthusiastic. lol!

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Well, here we go again. Quella is up to her ol' antics and I can't blame her. I haven't exactly went above and beyond to get her potty trained. She has went pee outside 2x since I got her and the rest of the times are on her potty pads. I've tried for weeks straight to crate her and take her out every 15 mins or so and after 12+ hours she finally just pees in the crate. I have a decent patio/backyard that I'd like to let her spend some time in for 15 mins at a time, but even with me sitting right inside of the house, I don't trust that she is secure. She goes pee and poo on the potty pad downstairs, which is tiled, however lately she pees and pooty poos ALL over the carpet in my office/loft and never on her potty pad. I grab her scruff and in a stern voice while getting her pretty close to the poo, saying she is a bad girl and I bring her in the bedroom and lock her in the crate for an hour. I will then let her out and she pees and poos again within hours, sometimes even minutes. Yesterday I separated the loft in two sections, one where my desk is and the other where a couch and TV are so she would be on the vinyl to protect the floor. I put some ottomans against the gate so she doesn't bulldoze it down, like usual. Well, guess what she did? Pee'd on couch cushion and today she jumped from the armrest of the couch to my desk which is 2.5 feet away. She didn't make it and went crashing down on the gate then landed on the floor. Luckily she isn't injured. As much as I'd love for her to be potty trained to go outside when I let her, the potty pads are so convenient for me. Unfortunately, when the method no longer works, it's frustrating; like now.

I'd love any potty training advice, whether it's to get her to go outside or to go on the pads again.

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

mmclean

Reaction score
I don't work from home so my circumstances with potty training were a bit different but it kind of sounds like she is regressing, which Radar also did. Very frustrating, I know. What I would recommend is going back to the basics. Crate her when you can't pay 100% attention to her because you have to work. Let her out after 4 hours for a potty break, take her to where you want her to go and treat the good behavior. Play for a bit if she does a good job and then put her back in the crate so you can finish your work day. Take her out for the evening potty break and then watch her like a hawk. I am sure you know her "gotta go" signs, and take her to that same place. Radar is now 100% potty trained with no accidents but it took me being really consistent and attentive for that to happen. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calle Roo

Reaction score
The taking her out every 10-15 minutes is not feasible for me... I know, I know, how can I say that when I work from home, but most of my time is spent between calls or doing time sensitive tasks and reports. I never thought of putting her in her crate and letting her be for a few hours until I can get her out and take her for an immediate walk than crate again if she doesn't potty (otherwise quick play time then crate if she does potty). I guess more families than not do/did the same thing while they're at work for the day or running errands, etc.

I'm going to spend some time in the yard to ensure it's puppy proof this weekend and put some wood slats over the gate so people walking by do not see her. I can put her out back for a good 10-15 mins to get her use to it and I'll even put a chair closer to the TV so I can watch it as well as still have Q in my sights. I may even lock the cat in a bedroom for an hour or two and let Q go in and out of the arcadia door, which I can leave open for her. She has went potty 2x outside (once several months ago and another time on Monday of this week), so maybe if she is out there enough, she'll just naturally go. :unsure:

Thanks so much!

eeturk

Reaction score
I would keep taking her on walks/outside when you can. ANY time she shows signs of needing to go to the bathroom tell her "go potty!!" and if she does then use the word potty again (like "good potty!!") and give treats and praise. We did this with Hudson (he was an absolute BEAST to potty train, he couldn't be trusted until after 8 months and we were consistent consistent consistent). Now when we step outside the elevator I say "go potty" and he immediately goes to the bathroom because he recognizes the command and knows he will be praised. It sounds like she just needs more consistency, and may also be having trouble differentiating between the carpet/potty pads since she's been using them so long.

Additionally, Hudson has been known to have "revenge accidents" which aren't accidents at all. If I'm doing something else and not paying attention to him he used to pee on the floor for attention. It could be that she's frustrated being cooped up. I know it's hot where you live but if you can take her out and play chuck-it or ball or something for 15 minutes in the yard and burn off some energy it might be a lot easier to get some cooperation from her.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^Agreed. I think consistency is a big key as well as praise. Sometimes Jax will pee on his bed out of spite.

shortstuff

Reaction score
The family that brought us Bisou owned her for two months prior. They were gone all day and so Bisou spent all day outside in the hot Nevada sun :( She learned during those two months that she could potty anywhere. If she felt the urge, she just went. Unfortunately, I would believe that the indoor potty pads are teaching Q the same thing. She hasn't been taught that there are "potty times," but instead has learned that you pop a squat whenever and wherever you've gotta go.

We gave Bisou WAY too much trust at the beginning and she had accidents that were totally our fault for not being consistent enough. My fiance works from home as well and would feel bad having her in her kennel when he couldn't pay attention to her, so he'd let her out into the kitchen and leave the room... (not) surprisingly, she'd potty on the floor because that's what she was used to. It really took the consistency of her being kenneled when he couldn't watch her, taking her out every 2-3 hours and playing with her for 10-15 minutes afterward. She learned that if she didn't potty, she went back in the kennel and had to hold it until Joel tried again in about half an hour. We slowly worked our way up to Bisou being confined to the kitchen when he couldn't be with her, reverting to kenneling if she couldn't handle it. As of a month ago, we've now finally gotten rid of the kennel and she can be trusted on the carpet without us there! :happydance:

Long story short: kennel training! I absolutely hated doing it to Bisou at first, but it was totally worth it. She eventually found her kennel to be her safe place and would go right into it with no hesitation.

Calle Roo

Reaction score
You guys are all awesome. Thanks so much for the feedback thus far. How do I handle if she goes pee (because she has before) in the kennel? Do I clean it and her up and put her back in to start the cycle over again? Any type of verbal discipline (which is hard because she could have done it an hour before I noticed). Any other ideas?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by removing pee pads altogether. That's just confusing her, putting pads down is saying "yes you can potty inside, but only on these pads". You want her to NOT go potty inside, at all.

First rule of thumb is they can hold it by how many months old they are plus two hours- max. For a young pup realistically every couple hours.

Every time you feed her, take her outside until she goes.

After each play session, take her out.

After each nap, take her out.

Each time she goes outside, praise her like she just won you the lottery.

If she does go inside, and she will more than likely have accidents, never scold her when you find it. Just whine, cry, whimper and be as dramatic as you can in front of her while you clean it up. Make sure she sees you do this. You can allow her to sniff your towels. Again, don't scold her, just get your best actress skills on and cry whimper!

This is a technique she can understand.

Go outside= mommy happy .

Go inside= mommy sad.

eeturk

Reaction score
Hudson used to pee in the kennel. I would usually just wash him and wash the bed and that was that. If you didn't see it happen, you can't punish. They don't get it. If he got particularly bad and had multiple kennel wetting incidents he would lose his bed and just have a towel for a few days. He got the message pretty quick.

I also agree that sometimes scolding them doesn't work and it's better to act sad or ignore them. Hudson thinks being punished is hilarious and tries to get us as mad as possible. Now we know not to react and if you ignore him he gets really upset and its a way better punishment.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I also agree that sometimes scolding them doesn't work and it's better to act sad or ignore them. Hudson thinks being punished is hilarious and tries to get us as mad as possible. Now we know not to react and if you ignore him he gets really upset and its a way better punishment.

So true, attention is attention, even if it's negative, they still seem to desire it!

🆕 Latest posts