Another potty training thread

lalipupper

Reaction score
Hi all, our little Lily is now 7 months old, and potty training has been incredibly frustrating. She is the sweetest girl - loves everyone, very gentle, such a clown - but I say this with as much love as I can muster...she seems to be spectacularly dim-witted. Leaps in understanding have been completely beyond her. And if she grasps something for a moment it slips almost immediately. She has regressed multiple times at this point.

From the beginning I did tons of reading and research about the best way to potty train, and to the best of my ability, have been as consistent as possible. She goes to work with my husband and while at work has absolutely no accidents - she holds her pee and poop and will wait patiently until she's let out. At home it's an entirely different story... As far as I can tell we use the exact same process. The only difference is that she is generally restricted to a single room while she's with him. We have also removed all household rugs to make sure she isn't confusing them with grass.

* We've been using potty bells for about 3-4 months now. They're hanging next to the door at her level. She knows 'touch' and will touch with her nose. If we are on our way outside she will consistently hit the bells before she goes out the door... but for the life of her she cannot connect that hitting the bells at any other time = she gets to go outside. She has hit the bells ONCE herself when we weren't in the room... and was patiently waiting at the door to go out. We basically threw a mini-party with lots of dancing and praising and treats... No dice - she never it again.
* We started with tethering and were constantly taking her outside giving her opportunities to potty. It worked great.
* We had an X-PEN set up and were sure to restrict her access to rooms. She was always within 'eyeshot' if she was outside of the pen. We were careful to take her out consistently and on a schedule.
* The pen has come up and down twice now as she'll be great for a few weeks, and then regresses, and up it goes again. It's down at the moment.
* She gets treats every time she goes outside and tons of praise - jumping up and down super excited omg you pottied praise!
* She's clearly very aware that she has to go outside. If we bring her out she'll do her business immediately and come to get a treat... but once she's back in and the waters down she'll pee every 30 minutes (only at home - at work she's fine) if we aren't watching her.
* She knows the words 'go potty' + pointing at the ground and she'll immediately go to the bathroom if she's outside.
* If we catch her in the act - say I walk in in the middle of a pee - she immediately goes submissive, puts her ears down, and slinks away towards the door because she knows she has to go outside to finish.
* If I catch her in the act we always clap and say 'NO' very sternly, and then bring her outside. She always gets treats after.
* Every pee and poop is cleaned up with enzymatic spray. For stuff on carpets we clean it up with the spray, then spray more to let it soak in.
* I thought she might be cold going outside so I got a sweater for her and it hasn't made a difference.
* Sometimes she'll come over and will stare at us to let us know she needs to go outside. Other times she won't. (Sidenote: staring isn't effective... we constantly have to be looking at her to see if she's staring at us.)
* She also has an issue with poop eating... Instead of letting us know she has to go to the bathroom she'll go find a spot to poop, then poop and eat it really quickly. I don't know if she's trying to 'clean up' after herself or what, but it's very frustrating. I was going to try pineapple juice... but the poop eating isn't consistent either. She'll stop for a few weeks and then start again. She is being fed Acana + limited ingredient soft food, as well as yogurt, and supplemented with pumpkin as required... so I do not think it's a nutrient deficiency.
* There seems to be very little consistency to when she goes to the bathroom. Ex. sometimes she poops 5 minutes after eating breakfast, other times she poops 4 hours after eating breakfast.

The ONLY thing that seems to help with the peeing is allowing her to drink her fill and then removing her water. I know young puppies need this, but I'm surprised at 7 months we'd still have to do it.

I don't know if I need moral support or what... We've decided to restrict her to a room at home from now on, making sure we can see her again... we've done this before and she regresses over and over. I can't tell if she's just really lovably stupid, or if this is typical to the breed.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry you are going through this and it sounds like you are doing everything right. Unfortunately, it does take some dogs longer than others. [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] will tell you it took her boy 2 years before he was potty trained.

Just keep doing what you are doing and eventually she will "get it."

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
You have a kick @$$ routine and schedule... she is just going to take longer.

Cheli did take two full years before he 'got it'. His nickname is 'stinker' for obvious reasons, but one day it just happened, he stopped going in house and as you stated--- there is no indication to this day, at age 6, he still just sits and stares to say he has to go out. We notice the stare and ask 'do you have to potty?'... he runs for the door.

Sorry but she just may be a type needing the extra long time

Stay consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lalipupper

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I am totally pulling my hair out! I get so frustrated, but it's hard to be mad at her. Thanks for the support that we are doing things right... I can't think of anything else to do except continuing to be consistent.

Your story about Cheli staring makes me laugh... Lily really does the same. Sometimes if I notice her staring I'll stand up and say, "Gotta go potty?" and she takes off for the door (other times she just wants whatever I'm eating, lol). I am really hoping she picks up on the bells eventually.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I am totally pulling my hair out! I get so frustrated, but it's hard to be mad at her. Thanks for the support that we are doing things right... I can't think of anything else to do except continuing to be consistent.

Your story about Cheli staring makes me laugh... Lily really does the same. Sometimes if I notice her staring I'll stand up and say, "Gotta go potty?" and she takes off for the door (other times she just wants whatever I'm eating, lol). I am really hoping she picks up on the bells eventually.

At least the bells are an option for you... he would not touch them

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I never tried the bells with either of my boys. While potty training we lived in a split level so we would just scoop them up and take them outside. And just one day they each had gone to the gate we had at the top of the stairs which meant they needed to go out. I still get an occasional accident. For instance, Jax who is almost 5 just peed on the rug over the weekend for no reason. Louie is 9 months and he will sometimes pee in the house as well.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I think restrictioning her area is the way to go. Let her earn the right to add extra rooms. Gus is 7 1/2 months old (and has only had one accident that I can remember in the last few months, when he followed me into the basement) and I still have two rooms in the main floor blocked off, and he's rarely allowed on the other two floors. Also, several months ago, when we expanded his area for the second time, he started having accidents by our front door (which is not a door we use for potty). So, like you, we restrictioned him to a smaller area again. Probably for a good month.

What is your routine with the bells? Before Gus learned and was consistent with them, I would take his paw and ring them and say "outside" and "potty" several times. Now, he will ring them before he goes out, even when the door is open. LOL
I really think a key is getting her to make that connection. I remember the staring phase, and it was quite ineffective at getting anyone's attention. Heh

I agree that the poop eating is probably her trying to hide the evidence. My last dog did the same thing as a puppy, but only when she pooped inside.

I'm sure Lily is a sweet and wonderful girl, but I completely understand your frustrations. My last puppy had me in tears on more than one occasion. Luckily, I've learned a few things and have much more time these days, now that my kids are older, so I had a smoother time this go round. It really sounds like you are doing all the right things. Just don't feel guilty about restrictioning her to the room or rooms you are in most often. My family really wants Gus to roam the entire house, but it's more important to me that he's successful, and if that means that we are stepping over gates for another 6 -7 months than so be it.

Welcome and come back and vent any time. :luv:

lisamarie

Reaction score
I don’t have much to add...it sounds like you are doing it right and you’ve got some additional great advice above!

I can say that I totally relate, our little lady has been more difficult than our male 🤷*♀️

Stay positive and consistent Hopefully Lily gets it soon❤️

lalipupper

Reaction score
Hi everyone, A BREAKTHROUGH HAS BEEN MADE!!

My husband got a new job 2 weeks ago and we had to start leaving Lily at home by herself (we work too far away to visit at lunch). Our solution was to install an 'extreme temperature' dog door in the back door. It leads into a secure fenced backyard. When we did this she was having daily accidents inside, and couldn't seem to figure out how to let us know she had to go.

She was terrified of the door at first. We sat on either side and lured her back and forth through the flap with hotdogs... It seems like the key to the entire thing was HOTDOGS!

She quickly caught on that she could go through the flap, and that if she went through the flap she'd get hotdogs... So at first she refused to go through the flap unless we knew she was going through ('cause hotdogs!) She figured out that she could come and scratch at a hand/leg, and then would take off and bust through the flap, do her business as fast as possible, and run back inside for the hotdog. The cats started staking out the door flap and would swat at her when she tried to go through, so she had even more interest in trying to get our attention so we could shoo the cat away for her.

We began with gating her in the kitchen while at work. After about a week her inside accidents stopped... We are 2 weeks in and she hasn't had a single accident for quite awhile. The only time she has problems is if one of the cats is being a jerk - but now they've even gotten the hang of the door flap and it has communal use. The bedroom is still gated off, but when we're home she has full run of the house and will do her business outside. I'm no longer constantly following her around, which is a huge relief.

I like the fact she can let herself out, but that she now understands how to come and get one of us if she needs help, or interior door is closed and she can't get outside.

Now, fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself..... lol.