Questions: Puppy arriving next sunday.

MarcoB

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Amazing forum with tons of info! I wanted to get your thoughts on a few things as I am picking up my new brindle boy on Sunday. He will likely be named Junior.

The breeder is currently feeding him Fromm Salmon, should I continue?

What are some toys that you would recommend?

Is there anything I should have (other than the standard, bed, cage etc...) that has helped you with your dogs?

Any help would greatly appreciated!

Marco

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Amazing forum with tons of info! I wanted to get your thoughts on a few things as I am picking up my new brindle boy on Sunday. He will likely be named Junior.

Is there anything I should have (other than the standard, bed, cage etc...) that has helped you with your dogs?

Marco

Welcome!

Congratulations on the new pup.

For the food, I would recommend Raw diet if your open to it, or if you want only kibble, the most premium is:

-Carna 4
-Natures Logic

Both Carna 4 and natures logic have probiotics in it and is completely synthetic free and all whole food based.

Natures logic is the lowest in carbs and has more protein options to rotate thru.

No matter which food you want to feed(raw or the brands I listed above that are the most premium), I always recommend rotating proteins to prevent new food allergies and strengthen the immune system, I highly recommend rotating proteins, especially as a puppy.

Especially as puppies, getting them on premium food is the best thing you can do for the puppies health for now and long term keeping them healthy.

For the toys:

Kong brand toys are really good, especially the puppy teething ones.

Dog beds, Crate training is really good, potty training bell to hang on the door(optional), blankets for in the crate, leash and collar and a ID name tag to attach to collar. Some healthy treats such as freeze dried beef liver or freeze dried salmon. That will help with training him to potty outside.

We would love to see photos of the puppy.

MarcoB

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info!

What do you think about Fromm?

Is see that nature's logic has a grain free option. Do you recommend grain free? I have seen debates for both.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

Is see that nature's logic has a grain free option. Do you recommend grain free? I have seen debates for both.

Fromm is ok, there is just LOTS of legumes and potatoes used and lots of added synthetic vitamins, which for some dogs can cause health issues and inflammation and yeast. It’s not a bad food but i always recommend feeding the most premium especially when they are puppies. If your concerned about the DCM heart disease, this food was one of the brands recalled cause of the legumes and potatoes. DCM is still not known the exact cause, but it’s best to avoid sometimes food that can possibly cause it.

The distinction sardine and beef and red meat formulas are best for avoiding the DCM cause they don’t use legumes or lentils or potatoes and no synthetic vitamins, any of the formulas would be good. Some have millet, but I that’s a unique grain. No recalls either on Natires logic.

Yes there is a debate for both, the problem is the legumes and lentils and potatoes not letting them absorb Taurine which is a amino acid needed for eyes and heart. Sardine is the whole food source of taurine.

How they absorb taurine, quality of the meat used, and foods with high amounts of legumes and potatoes as well as lots of synthetic vitamins(that’s a sign the quality of the food isn’t good). That’s why I recommend synthetic free food.
Raw is best if you want to avoid grain free issue and not feed grains.

Carna 4 and Natures logic are the only synthetic free foods and are the most premium, and also they have probiotics in it.

Some dogs are allergic to grains, so grain free would be better in that case.

Millet is a less common allergy than most grains.

Mavis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Marco
Hello, there is a ton of information on here.

Congrats on your pup! There is nothing like a frenchie. How old will your guy be when he comes to you? Please post pictures!!!!

We got our frenchie as a puppy on April 8 of last year. He was absolutely adorable. They are high energy little pups and he will amaze you how much they run around and play and how fast they can run. Luckily "Jelly" never chewed furniture as a rule. He loved his nylabones and soft rubber puppy chew toys and used them a lot - still does. Hopefully your dog will take to them as not all of them do. We have another dog and the two of them play endlessly. For that, they love their stuffies and run around with them and tease each other over who gets possession.

Our dog came crate trained and it has been a blessing. I prefer to have our dogs sleep in a crate at night (although they can go wherever they want, including the bed), during the day. We also crate them when we go run errands. Saves young dogs from getting into trouble and keeps them safe. If they ever get hurt or have surgery, you will thank the day you crate trained them.

Jelly loves his bed and has them in both of his crates (kitchen and bedroom) and one in the living room. He uses them all the time. I would suggest the best food you can afford and defer to Rusty's Mom on that one. She guided me in the beginning and I attribute the fact that Jelly has no allergies to the fact that he has been on quality food since the beginning.

Good luck to you!

MarcoB

Reaction score
Thank you. Have you heard of farmina? Italian formula, grain free, the local pet supply store recommended it.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you. Have you heard of farmina? Italian formula, grain free, the local pet supply store recommended it.

Yes I know of Farmina N&D, it is a good one, the thing with their recipes is all of them that I know of(pumpkin line, Ocean line), they all have some legumes and some have potatoes, and even when you rotate proteins, it’s best to rotate thru a formula without the potatoes or legumes as that’s the best to prevent new food allergies from eating the same other ingredients every day without rotating as that’s how food allergies start.

Farmina is a step below Natures Logic, and is the same quality as Fromm.

Were you not able to find the Natures Logic brand?? If you can do the natures logic that would be the best out of all these(Fromm, Farmina, Natures logic).
And it’s whole food based and the lowest in carbs, that’s why I highly recommended the Natures Logic and that it has probiotics and whole food based(no synthetic vitamins).

I prefer to stay away from legumes and potatoes as they can have Glyphosate in those ingredients(glyphosate is the active ingredient in RoundUp chemical) and potatoes can cause yeast overgrowth and allergies.

MarcoB

Reaction score
Unfortunately the store doesn't carry Natures Logic. It's tough to find... they did have carna 4, orijen, acana etc

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Unfortunately the store doesn't carry Natures Logic. It's tough to find... they did have carna 4, orijen, acana etc

Oh, that food I thought was easier to get than Carna 4.

I don’t recommend Orijen or Acana because they got bought out by Mars and they already changed their formulas(not for the better), they make the IAMS, Pedigree, Blue Buffalo, and a bunch of other very low quality foods and everything at the grocery store dog foods are made by Mars too.

Carna 4 is very premium too, same high quality as the natures logic.

Carna 4 has a lot of proteins to rotate thru, Goat, Herring, Duck, Venison, Lamb and chicken(I don’t recommend giving Frenchies chicken as it’s the most common allergy), you can always rotate proteins in the Carna 4 for your new pup, especially since it’s easier for you to get the Carna 4.

I recommend you try the Carna 4 for your new pup.

MarcoB

Reaction score
I think I found a shop that would order for me. What is the main difference between distinction and their original formula? Also, I'm assuming you would recommend grain free?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I think I found a shop that would order for me. What is the main difference between distinction and their original formula? Also, I'm assuming you would recommend grain free?

Distinction line is better and is more limited ingredients and has more protein options to rotate thru.

Distinction line in my opinion is the better more limited ingredient, that’s what I recommend for your pup. All their foods are very good quality, you can rotate between distinction line and the original line to rotate thru more formulas. Distinction line is lower in carbs too.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Welcome to FBN! congrats on your new baby!

Fromm is a good kibble and definitely better than some others out there.- I and many others have fed it in previous years. you can continue on it and if issues come up change at that time.

joeponds

Reaction score
Fromm is ok, there is just LOTS of legumes and potatoes used and lots of added synthetic vitamins, which for some dogs can cause health issues and inflammation and yeast. It’s not a bad food but i always recommend feeding the most premium especially when they are puppies. If your concerned about the DCM heart disease, this food was one of the brands recalled cause of the legumes and potatoes. DCM is still not known the exact cause, but it’s best to avoid sometimes food that can possibly cause it.

The distinction sardine and beef and red meat formulas are best for avoiding the DCM cause they don’t use legumes or lentils or potatoes and no synthetic vitamins, any of the formulas would be good. Some have millet, but I that’s a unique grain. No recalls either on Natires logic.

Yes there is a debate for both, the problem is the legumes and lentils and potatoes not letting them absorb Taurine which is a amino acid needed for eyes and heart. Sardine is the whole food source of taurine.

How they absorb taurine, quality of the meat used, and foods with high amounts of legumes and potatoes as well as lots of synthetic vitamins(that’s a sign the quality of the food isn’t good). That’s why I recommend synthetic free food.
Raw is best if you want to avoid grain free issue and not feed grains.

Carna 4 and Natures logic are the only synthetic free foods and are the most premium, and also they have probiotics in it.

Some dogs are allergic to grains, so grain free would be better in that case.

Millet is a less common allergy than most grains.
I like your thinking and synopsis of food for Frenches. Especially the sardines & taurine which is so important to Heart health.Everybody sardines in water is a cheap healthy treat .

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
View attachment 16196picked up my little boy today!

Any specific shampoo I should use? He's a little stinky!
He is Adorable!

What is his name? What are you feeding him? I highly recommend getting him on high quality ASAP before health issues come up!

For shampoo, I use Legendary Canine Shampoo bars, one is Healer(black bar)for itchy irritation skin, the Fresh shampoo bar is really good too if your just bathing him for him to be clean.

Those Legendary Canine shampoo bars is really good and works very well I find, I have tried a lot of shampoos for my sensitive Frenchie, and he is SO soft and shiny after these shampoo bars. He used to hate being bathed and he loves it now cause he liked the feel and smell of the shampoo bars(it seems like he did anyway and now he loves the bath time). They last longer than a bottle of shampoo for the dogs.

Other brands if you don’t want to use the Legendary canine shampoo bar:

-4 legger brand
-Kin Kind brand
-Earthbath is another good brand BUT I find Rusty is very allergic to the preservatives especially cause his skin is sensitive(even allergic to the Hypo allergenic Earth bath shampo).

How old is he?

MarcoB

Reaction score
His name is Bobby.
He is on Fromm salmon right now but I will be weaning him over to Natures Logic.
Thanks for all the help guys!

MarcoB

Reaction score
Hey,
Has anyone heard of Open Farm Raw Mix?
Looks like Natures Logic is tough to get here... the store made the order for me but it is backordered... so they recommended Open Farm Raw Mix.

🆕 Latest posts