Raw feeding.Questions,myths and the truth

Susann Brown

Reaction score
Stella and Chewy's has been a miracle product for us!! It was such a relief to finally find a food that worked for him and that he would eat. Glad Maximus is doing well on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My frenchie doesn't have allergies, but I have the hardest time just getting him to eat kibble. I have often thought about switching him to a raw diet. Is it best to pick a company that delivers vs. trying to figure it out myself?

shawno

Reaction score
I think a big worry for some people is whether they'll be providing their dog with a balanced diet. I know that's something I worry about when I contemplate feeding my little lady fresh or raw foods. Are there any good books or websites you, or any other fresh/raw diet feeders, would recommend for cooking for your dog/raw feeding? I'm very interested in learning about creating a balanced diet at home, but there is so much conflicting information out there. I just want to know how to make healthy and balanced meals, and am looking for a reliable source of information. Thanks!

eeturk

Reaction score
[MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION], your expertise is needed! ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I think a big worry for some people is whether they'll be providing their dog with a balanced diet. I know that's something I worry about when I contemplate feeding my little lady fresh or raw foods. Are there any good books or websites you, or any other fresh/raw diet feeders, would recommend for cooking for your dog/raw feeding? I'm very interested in learning about creating a balanced diet at home, but there is so much conflicting information out there. I just want to know how to make healthy and balanced meals, and am looking for a reliable source of information. Thanks!

Home cooking can be rather complex for a few reasons : 1. You need to balance the calcium/phosphorus level & make sure the dog gets enough calcium (especially growing puppies) and 2. Cooking does destroy some or even most(depending on how long and high you cook it) nutrients /amino acids , meaning you would have to add the 'lost' nutrients back into the diet.
I know there are a TON of home cooking books out there,however I am not familiar with any, but I would make sure its written by someone that has a background in nutrition.

Raw feeding is much easier: The only thing to consider is the 80/10/10 rule. 80% muscle meat, 10% organ, 10% bone. The easiest would be to go with a commercial raw food thats already prebalanced. You could balance it yourself and feed whole bones, buy organ meat yourself etc, however if one wants to do so, Id recommend at least a basic nutrition knowledge in order to balance everything properly.

Technically all a dog needs is what he would find in the whole prey. Thats it. Now there are super hard core raw feeders that feed ala prey model style. They feed the whole animal, nothing added. I like to add herbs here and there, and some veggis as well. Most commercial raw diets also contain some produce so all you have to do is open the bag,pull out what you need, thaw it and feed it. And your dogs needs are covered. Big raw food brands are usually AAFCO approved as 'complete' meaning they meet all macro & micronutrient requirements.

:)

Tracee Tucker

Reaction score
I'm new to this site so not sure I'm doing this right but I have a question regarding my puppies RAW diet. She is eating "Woody's Pet Deli" raw diet out of Woodbury, MN. This is all meat with supplements. She's 10 wks old. When do we introduce veggies and fruits? Our vet said the diet was unhealthy because she needs those other food groups as well. We have tried mixing in Canidae dry puppy kibble in with her RAW just to give her the other food groups and also to get her used to dry kibble in case we need to travel and can't use the RAW for the day. We noticed that she's starting itching a little here and there but it's also winter here and she's going outside a lot more now with the potty training. So not sure if it's the dry kibble or dry weather that might be causing her itching. Since you probably can't answer that, could you help me with the introduction to veggies and fruits into her RAW diet?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I'm new to this site so not sure I'm doing this right but I have a question regarding my puppies RAW diet. She is eating "Woody's Pet Deli" raw diet out of Woodbury, MN. This is all meat with supplements. She's 10 wks old. When do we introduce veggies and fruits? Our vet said the diet was unhealthy because she needs those other food groups as well. We have tried mixing in Canidae dry puppy kibble in with her RAW just to give her the other food groups and also to get her used to dry kibble in case we need to travel and can't use the RAW for the day. We noticed that she's starting itching a little here and there but it's also winter here and she's going outside a lot more now with the potty training. So not sure if it's the dry kibble or dry weather that might be causing her itching. Since you probably can't answer that, could you help me with the introduction to veggies and fruits into her RAW diet?

Did your vet explain what 'other food groups' your dog needs?! Sorry but it seems to be a typical anti-raw vet. Vets dont usually get a lot of nutrition training,and the courses they do take are always sponsored by the big kibble companies.

A properly balanced raw diet,which contains muscle meat,bone and organ should give your dog all it needs. That said, there are always a bunch of things you can add for aditional trace minerals, vitamins etc.
If your dog food is properly balanced(80-10-10) and it even contains some supplements (Im assuming synthetic vitamins),then your dog has everything he needs right there.
Id stop adding kibble. The itchiness could definitly come from that.

As for the fruits and veggies, there isnt a certain time frame in which you should start adding them. We are talking about real,fresh food. You cant go wrong with that, at any time(well, except if your dog is struggling with constant yeast problems etc,then Id avoid especially fruits).

KimB3384

Reaction score
As MaplesMommy says, vets are super fabulous for fixing your dog when he or she is broken, but they aren't so great for nutrition. It's kind of like with the human medical community - if you want diet help, you go to a nutritionist, not your surgeon. We tend to humanize our pets and think that they need what we need in order to be healthy and survive, but that's just not the case. No one raises an eyebrow when they bring out a raw slab of meat for the lions in the zoo, but mention that you're doing the same for your dog and people want to have you committed. This is a long-winded way of saying that your dog doesn't require fruits and veggies. It's fine if you want to give them some as treats or extras, but as long as the diet you're feeding is balanced then there's zero need for them. In some cases, like with my Frenchie, they cause more trouble than they're worth. She gets itchy hives from some, and develops yeast from others.

Looking at Woody's site, your dog is going to be just fine. That looks like an amazing place - I'm totally jealous! Ditch the kibble. If you're looking for an alternative food for traveling, consider getting a food dehydrator and making your own. Or, Vital Essentials makes an all-meat freeze-dried food that's available in a couple of proteins.

Tracee Tucker

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I love this site already. I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

hannah

Reaction score
This has been such a great thread to read! Thanks guys

My 2 have been on Pets Go Raw for about a week now and so far so good :)

Jordanmyles

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Answers Raw Pet food in the US?? I don't think they ship to Canada, but I am going to inquire.

I stumbled across it the other day and based on their ingredients they look awesome! I am particularly interested because they have a detailed raw with no fruits!!!

Also, [MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION] have you heard about anything in regards to fermented decaffeinated green tea (Kombucha) as an ingredient? This Answers pet food has it in their products.

This is their info below on it:

Below is a complete breakdown of the ingredients of Kombucha tea and a beneficial function of each. Remember, this describes the final product of the tea, fermented with a Kombucha culture.
LACTIC ACID: Found in Kombucha in its most potent form L-lactic(+). Lactic acid is essential for the digestive system.
ACETIC ACID: Its main function is to inhibit harmful bacteria. Acetic acid performs as a preservative because of this action.
MALIC ACID: Also used in the body's detoxification process.
OXALIC ACID: A natural preservative that encourages the cellular production of energy.
GLUCONIC ACID: Effective against many yeast infections such as Candida and thrush.
BUTYRIC ACID: Produced by the yeasts and when working with gluconic acid, may help combat yeast infections such as Candida.
NUCLEIC ACID: Works with the body to aid healthy cell regeneration.
AMINO ACID: A group of acids that are the building blocks of protein. Your muscular system is made of proteins.
ENZYMES: Proteins that act as catalysts, speeding the rate at which biochemical reactions proceed.
Kombucha also contains Vitamin Groups B and C, Beneficial Yeasts and LIVING Bacteria (you know like the cultures in yogurt).

Sounds amazing!!! I haven't done any research on it yet, however.

KimB3384

Reaction score
D00d drinks Kombucha every day and has recently started giving some to Beezy. She loves it. Her yeast has been under control since we eliminated fruits and starchy veggies and legumes, but we give it to her as a treat. I can't tell if it's doing anything good because she's in fine shape, but it's certainly not hurting anything. Personally, I think it's gross. It's like vinegar soda pop. Ain't nobody got time for that.

🆕 Latest posts