Poop problems in new Frenchie puppy - leaning toward switching to Farmina kibble - HELP!

zippygirl

Reaction score
Before I get to a little background info, my main questions are:

1. I am considering changing my dog to Farmina Lamb puppy formula. Does anyone have experience with that food?
2. I suspect I am currently overfeeding my puppy, but how do you know if they are getting enough nutrition? It seems like it is a balancing act between feeding enough for proper growth and nutrition and stool consistency and quantity.

BACKGROUND: I have a four-month-old Frenchie puppy who is having some digestive issues (see below). She looks great, no gas, no skin issues, great energy, no smelly poops. Her wonderful breeder had her on a commercial kibble. We tried to transition slowly her to freeze-dried raw, but she immediately refused her old food and would only eat the freeze-dried raw. After constant diarrhea and bloody stool, we put her on a bland diet for a few days and moved her to Open Farm's Gently Cooked chicken food. She is doing much better on that food, especially since we added Olewo Carrots and Perfect Form, but we still have some problems:

1. Bloody stool with very occasional mucus
2. Soft stool with the occasional diarrhea
3. Lots and lots of poop (6-10 times a day)
4. Scooting

I've cut back on her food to try to reduce the poop volume and consistency, but it really hasn't made much of a difference.

I had another Frenchie who passed away a few years ago. We fed her a raw diet, but after she experienced hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, she refused to eat a frozen raw diet. At that point we were able to get her to eat freeze dried raw. I was hoping freeze dried raw would work with this puppy, but she is doing better on the gently cooked food. Given her current issues, I am afraid to try a frozen raw diet, but I am open to hearing experiences that might make me feel otherwise!

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.16.37 AM.png

zippygirl

Reaction score
Adding that she has had several fecals -- all clear. The vet wants me to put her on a hydrolyzed protein diet or Royal Canin (or Blue Buffalo) GI food. I'd like to avoid those foods, which is why I'm considering Farmina.

ling0882434

Reaction score
maybe chicken allergy? my breeder fed him commercial lamb kibble and avoided chicken. but there are still chicken by product in his kibble. we are also considering change to something with no chicken ingredient (he also has bloody stool but not soft)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Adding that she has had several fecals -- all clear. The vet wants me to put her on a hydrolyzed protein diet or Royal Canin (or Blue Buffalo) GI food. I'd like to avoid those foods, which is why I'm considering Farmina.

Welcome to FBN.. she is adorable!

Farmina is a great food to go to... avoid the prescription foods, they are all fillers

You could be feeding too much, but depend on the food too. As suggested, avoid chicken.

This article might help too.. http://frenchbulldognews.com/content/70-french-bulldog-diarrhea.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
My guess is the culprit is chicken, especially if she is scooting. If possible, try another protein, like duck. The soft stool could also be that she is eating too much food.

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts