sorry for the abundance of questions (we're new to frenchies)

blossom

Reaction score
hi everyone,

my sister and i just got a 8 week old frenchie 3 days ago and it's been both a struggle and a joy thus far (i'll be honest, we're both experiencing a little post-puppy depression, but neither of us have admitted it to each other). i have a few questions regarding the whole crate/potty/behavior training process, but first, i'll update you on what we've done so far.

the house is an open floor plan so we've situated the crate by the sofa and he has had a play area in front of the crate door as well as a few puppy pads. we started crate training him from day one, but did introduce it a little hastily. while he does cry for < 30 minutes a night, he generally does seem to enjoy the crate, as he tends to hop on in every time he wants a nap. he's only received his first round of vaccines, so we're using puppy pads vs. letting him outside. eventually, we hope he'll be able to use pads and go outside. additionally, we just set up an exercise pen for him indoors, which we plan to start utilizing as early as tomorrow.

so here are my questions:

1. we know zeus can hold his bladder/bowel for a VERY long period of time. last night, i made the mistake of not giving him enough time during the night to pee/poop and urged him back into his crate before he could void himself. in the end, he held it in for probably 8+ hours. my question is: is this normal for puppies as young as him? and how long do you (if you do use crates) let your dogs stay out of the crate before you realize they're just crying for attention?

2. we think zeus has a bit of separation anxiety. he likes his crate and willingly sleeps in it without us forcing him to, but if he can't physically SEE us beside him, he tends to cry. currently, my sister and i are taking turns sleeping on the couch, but this isn't something either of us can see ourselves doing in the long run. putting him in either of our rooms isn't an option at this point. my sister's room is the hottest room in the house and i work nights, so he'd be completely alone. do you think it's an alright option to let him cry it out, check up on him every 3-4 hours to let him void himself, and then crate him again? (it's HARD because his cries are so devastating to listen to, but everyone's telling us to just put earplugs in).

3. he is SUCH a timid boy. he's comfortable in the living room, but if either of us step out of his zone, even to areas where he can definitely see us, he starts whining (not always, but definitely several times a day). that being said, he adjusts SUPER well to new guests, the vet, vet tech, and has traveled surprisingly well in cars. at home, should we ignore his whines and then praise him when he soothes himself? i feel like we almost messed up these few days by being around him TOO often.

4. we haven't left him alone for extended periods of time yet. actually, he's been alone for approximately 30 seconds in a row in total. we're worried because we have a dentist appointment next monday, and we'll likely be away from home for at least 2-3 hours. do any of you have any recommendations for how to gradually get him more comfortable with us not being constantly around?

5. we received nexgard for fleas but read some awful reviews. we have mixed feelings, but there seem to be a fair share of awful reviews for every flea med. have any of your frenchies had any adverse effects from using it?

6. what do you use to remove tear stains? we've been using an unscented baby wipe that doesn't seem like it's doing anything but removing his little eye boogers.

7. we're currently using the nylabone toothpaste/brush, but it hasn't really helped with zeus' breath. furthermore, the product itself smells pretty awful. what are some products that have worked for you all?

8. CHEWING!!! he's been decent about not chewing furniture, but he is now in the habit of chewing his pee pads and the towel we place underneath them. he's got plenty of chew toys and he uses them just fine, but today, it got to the point where we're almost tempted to forgo pee pads and try some other indoor method.

9. is/was your frenchie puppy lazy?? for example, when zeus isn't hyper and wanting to play, he's frequently crawling around, and we noticed he'd rather eat out of a plate than a bowl. we doubt it's a hind leg issue because he's had two check ups and when he's hyper, he runs/hops/prances just fine.

any help would be majorly appreciated. once again, i apologize for the length of this! being a new puppy mom is hard stuff :whew:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Jax used a pee pad at night the first two or three nights he was home and then never again. My bulldog who is only 5 months old never used a pee pad at night. Both held it and usually had to go out around 5 am to go the bathroom. And then it just got later and later.

If you have just taken Zeus out for a potty break and he is in his crate crying, he is probably crying for attention and if you want to crate train him, you will need to ignore him. Puppies usually need frequent potty breaks. Usually after they wake, 15 minutes or so after eating or drinking and after they play. As they get older, the frequency will lessen.

If you want him used to being alone, you can put him in his crate and then leave for 15 minutes at a time and then increase the time you are away by 5 minutes, working your way up. Frenchies are generally people dogs and love to be around their humans but they will survive being alone.

I don't know anything about Nexguard. When Jax was younger I used Frontline Plus but then I switched to Sentinel Spectrum which is for fleas/heartworm. It does nothing for ticks but my area is not a concern for ticks. Like you said, every brand will have negative reviews. You definitely want to stay away from Trifexis though.

For tear stains, if you are not already, use stainless steel bowls and filtered water instead of tap water. Some people clean the eye folds with witch hazel. If you use a baby wipe, you may want to just dry afterwards. You want to make sure to keep his eye folds dry. Witch hazel is a natural drying agent so need to dry after use. But make sure you don't get it in eyes.

At 8 weeks of age, Zeus shouldn't really have bad breath. At that age, they have what is known as "puppy breath." Maybe that is what you are smelling.

Chewing is typical for puppies. Do you have to use pee pads? Can you take him outside to do his business?

Puppies do tend to sleep a lot.

I don't know if I've answered everything but hopefully it's a start. I'm sure other members will chime in as well and share their experiences. Every puppy is different!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
If you don't have ticks you can use topical Revolution or Advantage Multi to prevent heartworm and fleas. Or you can give oral Sentinel or Sentinel Spectrum to prevent heartworm and fleas.

If you do have ticks in your area then you can use topical K9 Advantix II or Vectra 3D to prevent fleas and ticks. You will also have to use a product to prevent heartworm, so the best would be a product that doesn't duplicate your tick and flea prevention, eg. ivermectin (Heartgard), milbemycin (Milbemax,Interceptor Plus). If you want to go oral route for tick and flea prevention then Nexgard is considered to be pretty safe. You might as well get Nexgard Spectra, which also includes milbemycin for heartworm, so it will be a single pill once monthly for ticks, fleas and heartworm prevention.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
:welcome3: to FBN and congrats on the new bundle of love!

so here are my questions:

1. we know zeus can hold his bladder/bowel for a VERY long period of time. last night, i made the mistake of not giving him enough time during the night to pee/poop and urged him back into his crate before he could void himself. in the end, he held it in for probably 8+ hours. my question is: is this normal for puppies as young as him? Guideline for potty is 1 hour more than they are months old is usually how long they can hold it. and how long do you (if you do use crates) let your dogs stay out of the crate before you realize they're just crying for attention? a Frenchie will always cry for attention, they love and want to be with their humans. You'll need to find a balance and work to keep it consistent.

2. we think zeus has a bit of separation anxiety. he likes his crate and willingly sleeps in it without us forcing him to, but if he can't physically SEE us beside him, he tends to cry. currently, my sister and i are taking turns sleeping on the couch, but this isn't something either of us can see ourselves doing in the long run. putting him in either of our rooms isn't an option at this point. my sister's room is the hottest room in the house and i work nights, so he'd be completely alone. do you think it's an alright option to let him cry it out, check up on him every 3-4 hours to let him void himself, and then crate him again? (it's HARD because his cries are so devastating to listen to, but everyone's telling us to just put earplugs in). Normally they do cry it out in about 20-30 minutes, but as mentioned above, it can be a little harder with a Frenchie as they LOVE being with their humans. Have you tried to cover the crate?

3. he is SUCH a timid boy. he's comfortable in the living room, but if either of us step out of his zone, even to areas where he can definitely see us, he starts whining (not always, but definitely several times a day). that being said, he adjusts SUPER well to new guests, the vet, vet tech, and has traveled surprisingly well in cars. at home, should we ignore his whines and then praise him when he soothes himself? i feel like we almost messed up these few days by being around him TOO often. Why is he whining? Is he crated or just not able to be with you?

4. we haven't left him alone for extended periods of time yet. actually, he's been alone for approximately 30 seconds in a row in total. we're worried because we have a dentist appointment next monday, and we'll likely be away from home for at least 2-3 hours. do any of you have any recommendations for how to gradually get him more comfortable with us not being constantly around? As mentioned by Citty, put him in the crate and leave the room/house for a few minutes and let him get used to you coming and going. My Cheli is 6 yrs old and still whines when we first leave, but it is because he wants to go with us, not because he is crated.

5. we received nexgard for fleas but read some awful reviews. we have mixed feelings, but there seem to be a fair share of awful reviews for every flea med. have any of your frenchies had any adverse effects from using it? I have used Sentinel for many years without issue, but as you stated, they all have a chance of having a reaction

6. what do you use to remove tear stains? we've been using an unscented baby wipe that doesn't seem like it's doing anything but removing his little eye boogers. Witch hazel on a cotton pads

7. we're currently using the nylabone toothpaste/brush, but it hasn't really helped with zeus' breath. furthermore, the product itself smells pretty awful. what are some products that have worked for you all? it could be from this teething, it will pass. What are you feeding him?

8. CHEWING!!! he's been decent about not chewing furniture, but he is now in the habit of chewing his pee pads and the towel we place underneath them. he's got plenty of chew toys and he uses them just fine, but today, it got to the point where we're almost tempted to forgo pee pads and try some other indoor method. redirect, with a firm NO. he will get the point as long as you are both consistent. Remove what he is chewing with a firm 'no', and give him a toy or bone.

9. is/was your frenchie puppy lazy?? for example, when zeus isn't hyper and wanting to play, he's frequently crawling around, and we noticed he'd rather eat out of a plate than a bowl. we doubt it's a hind leg issue because he's had two check ups and when he's hyper, he runs/hops/prances just fine. video? :ponder:

any help would be majorly appreciated. once again, i apologize for the length of this! being a new puppy mom is hard stuff :whew:[/QUOTE]