Surgery and I'm so scared

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
Emmi's exercise intolerance has been getting worse along with her gagging and coughing after running. She definitely has to have her nares done and the surgeon will check to make sure her palate needs to be done while she is under. He is pretty sure it does but will verify it. Saccules he will also check. First surgeon we took her to scared me so bad. All he kept talking about was the risk of her dying. I understand all surgeries are risky but the way he kept emphasizing on death had me in tears all the way home. He kept saying if she has swelling afterwards and it obstructs her airway enough she wouldn't make it. We now have a new surgeon that we love ...he also has a rescued frenchie and did this same surgery on him but I am still so scared. I asked him about keeping her until the swelling risk was over but he said he prefers to send them home the same day as they have less chance of getting worked up which would mean less chance of severe swelling. This scares me!!!! She gets worked up here all the time. Does anyone have any advice, tips, anything at all? We opted to do it while she was younger (8 months) which this surgeon agreed with.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Emmi's exercise intolerance has been getting worse along with her gagging and coughing after running. She definitely has to have her nares done and the surgeon will check to make sure her palate needs to be done while she is under. He is pretty sure it does but will verify it. Saccules he will also check. First surgeon we took her to scared me so bad. All he kept talking about was the risk of her dying. I understand all surgeries are risky but the way he kept emphasizing on death had me in tears all the way home. He kept saying if she has swelling afterwards and it obstructs her airway enough she wouldn't make it. We now have a new surgeon that we love ...he also has a rescued frenchie and did this same surgery on him but I am still so scared. I asked him about keeping her until the swelling risk was over but he said he prefers to send them home the same day as they have less chance of getting worked up which would mean less chance of severe swelling. This scares me!!!! She gets worked up here all the time. Does anyone have any advice, tips, anything at all? We opted to do it while she was younger (8 months) which this surgeon agreed with.

Totally normal to be scared... my guy had it done twice due to scarring. Do all you can to prevent barking that can cause the issue. Keep him calm and limit play until after the follow up with vet.

Will keep you all in my prayers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
The most important thing is finding a vet you trust and that is familiar with the brachy breeds as they have different anesthesia protocol that other breeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
It's always scary when our kids have to have surgery, but as stated above, make sure you have a vet that you can trust and is familiar with brachy breeds. Make sure to follow the instructions the day before the surgery as well with food/water intake. Very important. Would she tolerate staying in an xpen to keep her quiet afterwards?

🆕 Latest posts