Taboo Question

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
We paid $2000 for Babetty. My husband was very very very against it until he met her. Now he tells me he always wants to have at least one in the house and jokes about winning the lottery and owning a frenchie herd. :D

Now that's funny. My other half was telling me last night I can't have another until he has spent as much on his boxers as we have on Ollie. I told him that will never happen, but maybe we have gotten the big expenses with Ollie out of the way early. :) He was joking of course.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
One thing that is really important in buying a Bulldog, English or French, is that the money you spend up front for the puppy is nothing compared to the money you'll be spending in vet bills if you get a poorly bred puppy. Research that breeder. Find one with a track record for breeding for health and temperament.

Reaction score
I don't mind answering either. I paid $2,000 for Jax and got him from a breeder in Oklahoma as there were no local breeders that had any puppies available and I didn't want to wait! I was determined to find a fawn, black masked puppy so I searched high and low on Puppyfind.com, did some research and spoke to people that had gotten puppies from the same breeder and the rest is history!
My boy came from Oklahoma. Is yours from Osage Plains?

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to ask this or not, but I'm really curious how much you all spent for your frenchies and I'm wondering if they are more expensive here in California or maybe they are just expensive overall as a breed. I know normally they do need help to reproduce with artificial insemination and then the puppies are generally born C sectioon making the cost of the puppies more for sure. But I have seen people charging up to $15K for these guys which I think is nuts!

I spent $2000 for Ollie. His breeder wanted $2500 and I told her my spouce put a limit on me of $2000 but that I would pay cash and she agreed, but after the health issues he had I'm wondering was it such a great deal? The blue fawn's typically go for $3000 -$4000 online.

Don't feel obligated to answer, im just curious did you all have to save to buy your frenchie? I definately did, but I can't ever see myself without one now!
I don't mind answering either. My boy was $2500 and $350 for his plane fare. I did a lot of research before buying him. $2500 is a right in the middle price. My dog also had some health issues. He had a cherry eye pop out that was an $1800 repair but the breeder sent me a check for part of the surgery because we have a health contract. The one piece of advice that it sounds like I am too late with is that "blue" isn't a recognized AKC Standard color so buyer beware and why would someone charge more for something that doesn't live up to standard? Don't be discouraged by the health issues because once I bought mine and started getting Emails returned and referrals I discovered they seem to all have something wrong with them, some more than others. They certainly aren't for owners weak of pocket book. My biggest complaint is that I had emailed and called all over the country and a lot of breeders don't bother to respond. I looked for an older dog first but no one had one and amazingly no one took the time to tell me about FBRN. My husband and I are the perfect home, fenced yard, retired and active and can afford to take care of the dog. My boy is going to be 14 mos next week and has turned out to be the best boy ever. Hope you enjoy your new pup. He will prove to be worth every penny.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I don't mind answering either. My boy was $2500 and $350 for his plane fare. I did a lot of research before buying him. $2500 is a right in the middle price. My dog also had some health issues. He had a cherry eye pop out that was an $1800 repair but the breeder sent me a check for part of the surgery because we have a health contract. The one piece of advice that it sounds like I am too late with is that "blue" isn't a recognized AKC Standard color so buyer beware and why would someone charge more for something that doesn't live up to standard? Don't be discouraged by the health issues because once I bought mine and started getting Emails returned and referrals I discovered they seem to all have something wrong with them, some more than others. They certainly aren't for owners weak of pocket book. My biggest complaint is that I had emailed and called all over the country and a lot of breeders don't bother to respond. I looked for an older dog first but no one had one and amazingly no one took the time to tell me about FBRN. My husband and I are the perfect home, fenced yard, retired and active and can afford to take care of the dog. My boy is going to be 14 mos next week and has turned out to be the best boy ever. Hope you enjoy your new pup. He will prove to be worth every penny.

I definitely agree. I would have liked to rescue as we have always done so with our goldens and boxers. But I did look at the local rescues but there was nothing in my area and very few available around the country. I really like the color and especially the eyes in this particular coloring. I was aware that the blues are not recognized by the AKC but that has never bothered me. There are a few good breeders out there that are breeding the exotic colors, unfortunately I chose a local breeder that offered a health guarantee, but when we tried to have her pay for Ollie's bacterial infections that he came with, she chose not to stand behind the contract. Since we purchased health insurance for Ollie, I didn't worry about the bills. We just took care of him and will know better in the future. I may go with a black and while one next time, or a tan and white. I saw some really cute ones at the meetup I attended yesterday. It's at least 10 years away so for now I will love and spoil my puppy. :)

I'm really happy that things worked out for you and that your breeder stood behind her health guarantee. That's really great.

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
We paid 3000 for our Bella. She is worth every single penny.

~ Loving life with our Frenchie

Violetsmom

Reaction score
I usually don't tell anyone how much I paid or they would think I was crazy. I remember spending $200 on a pug and thinking that was high. But for my Frenchie, I spent $3,500. I had just received a little money from an aunt who died and decided the dog would be worth more than new carpeting or furniture or clothes (which I need!). She has been more expensive to keep, which I was not counting on, because of medical bills. But what she has added to our lives is priceless!

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
[MENTION=268]Violetsmom[/MENTION], I don't usually tell people either, but when I do I get the craziest look! Oh well, people will form their opinions, and wonder why I spent so much on her, but honestly if they ever owned a French they would know why they were so expensive, BC they are such amazing dogs!

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
With my children all grown, Cosette is my baby.

It sounds silly, but I plan to have a Frenchie till I die.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
There were so many Christmas toys at Petsmart.
What did you get him?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=169]Cosette Girl[/MENTION] I got him a new bed, sweatshirt, jacket, treats, balls, a new Kermit the Frog (he destroyed the first one) and a couple other toys.

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
Bella only likes one kind of bone, so every time I go I buy three of them, so she always has one!!

🆕 Latest posts