Time to switch?

MarissaV

Reaction score
Hi all!

My boy Sonny (4) has had stomach sensitivities in the past. Heā€™s always had some little puking accidents here and there, but nothing major or cause for concern. Lately though, he seems to be up chucking every other day. I call it up chucking because itā€™ll come out of nowhere. We can be asleep and itā€™ll just come up without notice, no heaving or anything. He also tends to spit up some of his water when he chugs it and drinks too much. So, Iā€™ve recently gotten him a slow drink water bowl and an elevated + tilted food bowl to maybe help the problem. Just to be on the safe side, I have made an appointment for him, just to double check that he doesnā€™t have a more serious underlying problem.

He is currently on Acana Singles Lamb & Apple. He was on an anxiety medication (that Iā€™ve stopped giving him) that caused him to consistently throw up. Heā€™s still on his Apoquel for environmental allergies. I was just curious if maybe switching to another protein and maybe potato free (all his past foods seem to have some sort of potato in it) food will help. Iā€™d love to know yā€™allā€™s thoughts and recommendations as youā€™ve helped me in the past!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
You can definitely try a different protein. You can also try more frequent, smaller meals. Have you thought about switching from Apoquel to Cytopoint at all for the allergies?

MarissaV

Reaction score
Iā€™ll give it a try! No I havenā€™t thought of that! Think maybe the apoquel is messing with his belly (since he does take it daily)?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
The Apoquel might give belly issues, but as Citty mentioned.. ask you vet about Cytopoint shots instead

MarissaV

Reaction score
*Update*

Hey everyone, I thought Iā€™d give a quick update in case anyone has similar issues with their baby!

I switched his food bowl to an elevated & tilted one made specifically for squished faces! I went to my local mom and pop pet store looking to get some Zignature. The owner (super nice and knowledgeable!) asked about his issues and highly recommended Farmina N&D Quinoa Digestion (main protein is lamb so we essentially kept the same protein). She said her dogs with sensitive stomachs do really well on it.

It has now been two weeks that Sonny has been vomit free! Really glad to have found something that sits well with him. Havenā€™t seen reviews on this specific type on dogfoodadvisor so was wondering if anyoneā€™s heard anything of it?

Oh and he did go to the vet and everything turned out normal! :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Farmina is a good brand. Glad to hear itā€™s working out!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
*Update*

Hey everyone, I thought Iā€™d give a quick update in case anyone has similar issues with their baby!

I switched his food bowl to an elevated & tilted one made specifically for squished faces! I went to my local mom and pop pet store looking to get some Zignature. The owner (super nice and knowledgeable!) asked about his issues and highly recommended Farmina N&D Quinoa Digestion (main protein is lamb so we essentially kept the same protein). She said her dogs with sensitive stomachs do really well on it.

It has now been two weeks that Sonny has been vomit free! Really glad to have found something that sits well with him. Havenā€™t seen reviews on this specific type on dogfoodadvisor so was wondering if anyoneā€™s heard anything of it?

Oh and he did go to the vet and everything turned out normal! :)

Great news!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk