Turning kibble into treats?

WeeDex

Reaction score
Hi all,

So poor little Dexter has joined the allergy club...... red, running eyes, itching his chest and stomach, biting his feet. Along with the teething, the poor wee guy is miserable.

The vet was helpful, and we put him on piriton which made his eyes much better, but didn't help with the itch. So we're now trying him on a different food. He was previously on Nature's Menu raw puppy nuggets (consisting mostly of chicken and brown rice), but we are currently transitioning to Wafcol Salmon puppy kibble to see if it helps.

As he is teething, he can't eat it without it being soft. And I'm not supposed to give him any other foods at all until we see if this helps his itching. But I'm in the middle of puppy classes and training him at home daily, and I've no idea what to give him as a treat! The vet said just give him kibble, but I can't because he can't chew it as he's hardly any teeth!

Does anyone have any experience of this? How did you manage to get round it? I was thinking about trying to make some kind of wet treat out of it but it's going to get messy pretty quick!

Any advice would be great, as I've a class on Friday and no idea what to take for him!

Thanks so much :)

Chiana

Reaction score
Oh, so sorry to hear about Dexter, but goos news that you have got a program from your vet how to overcome this.
For puppy class, like you said, I guess you just have to pre-soak his kibble and put them in some small container.
We have a small plastic pouch that has a belt clip. Something similar to that might work.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What about frozen green beans? I have used them for many years -- great treat and no calories :D

mmclean

Reaction score
How big is his kibble? Radar has never actually chewed his, she teething wasn't an issue. Does Dexter actually chew his kibble or is he like my little piglet and inhales his food? If they are small enough kibble I don't think you need to soften it. Give him one, dry while at home and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeDex

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] - Do you think green beans would be OK even though he's on this restricted diet?
[MENTION=768]mmclean[/MENTION] - he spat it out, and had a look of disgust on his face that I gave it to him haha! When it's slightly damp though he just swallows it. I don't think he chews anything! Just makes piglet sounds and inhales! I was thinking though maybe leave it dry and put a tiny bit of salmon oil on it so he actually likes the taste. I will really stink the class out!!
[MENTION=1348]Chiana[/MENTION] I've got a little box that I can put some soaked kibble in if necessary. And thankfully the place that has the class does have a sink so I can at least wash my hands before driving home!

Poor little guy. I really hope this food helps, as he's been itching like mad today and I spend all day rushing over to stop him. Hate seeing him like that :(

mmclean

Reaction score
Allergies truly suck. Can you give him Orijen treats? They can be one protein and shouldn't screw up the plan your vet has for Dexter. Radar loves them and would walk on water to get some.

eeturk

Reaction score
Stella & Chewy's makes freeze dried treats that are limited ingredient and soft. My guy really likes them. But be warned about the fish flavor, they smell HORRIBLE.

hannah

Reaction score
Orijen treats are awesome! And soft enough. Sorry to hear about the allergies.. Banksy has mild allergies as well... have NO IDEA what they are but he has eye boogers all the time. Poor lil fella

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Look into freeze dried treats (orijen,primal, stella & chewies etc). They are soft and are only freeze dried meats ,so no carbs/sugar which will make any allergies worse than before.

Also, dogs usually dont actually 'chew' their food. They cant move their jaw laterally. Their mouth/teeth are designed to bite,tear and swallow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeeDex

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it. Stella & Chewy's seem only available in the UK as an Amazon import, which makes them difficult to get hold of. Orijen looks like a great option though and definitely available so will try that. Also gives him another taste, instead of just his kibble all the time.

Thanks again :)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
would try just soaking his kibble or the green beans.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that he has allergies. I am all too familiar with them! If he is on a salmon food, then I would try freeze dried salmon as treats. Jake loves them and that is what I use to train him.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
@2bullymama - Do you think green beans would be OK even though he's on this restricted diet?

Poor little guy. I really hope this food helps, as he's been itching like mad today and I spend all day rushing over to stop him. Hate seeing him like that :(

yes, should not be an issue unless he is allergic to them