advice with new puppy- wont sleep around us

Safari

Reaction score
Some history first - this is my first puppy, so please be patient with me. I thought I did a good job researching breeders, but when I went to pick my puppy up, I realized she kept the mother and pups in an air conditioned side garage. The pups were played with by their children, but not used to being inside. Now that he is home with me, ive noticed he will not sleep around us. i want to spend as much time with him as possible, especially after i come home from work, but after a while i can tell he gets over-tired and just needs to take a nap. He starts barking,nipping everything he can, and when i take him outside he flops on the grass and doesnt want to move. i can tell he is overtired but he will not sleep unless i put him in his crate downstairs. i can tell he feels comfortable alone down there, because i will check on him 2 minutes later and he is asleep. when he wakes up hes a different puppy! ive realized by doing this for a week, im only encouraging him to want to sleep by himself. so i purchased another crate and moved it into our living room. when i feel like he needs a nap, ill put him in the crate so he can see us while we cook or watch tv. but if he can see us he'll do everything he can to not sleep. he'll bark whine cry, and slowly fall asleep but if i make any type of sound, hes up and it starts all over. i never give in or yell or anything, but it seems to be getting worse. i want him to be able to sleep with us on the couch, etc. When hes downstairs ive been playing the radio so he can get used to more sounds.
anyway what do you guys think? am i doing the right thing?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
It may take a little bit longer with him until he fully trusts you. Right now it appears that he hasnt settled yet.
You might want to put a towel or a blanket over the living room crate. This creates a ' cave' like feeling and he probably feels 'safer' in there.
I would give him some more time to get used to you and his new environment. I would also say a routine will make it easier for him. Go for walks same day every day. Feed at the same time. Let him go for naps whenever he needs but for example always after a nice long walk. This way he knows what to expect and the daily routine may help him to settle.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would also say a routine will make it easier for him. Go for walks same day every day. Feed at the same time. Let him go for naps whenever he needs but for example always after a nice long walk. This way he knows what to expect and the daily routine may help him to settle.

great advice.... also, think of him as a toddler, the do not want to miss anything --

Tgirl

Reaction score
He is probably just too excited to sleep when you guys are around. :)

Safari

Reaction score
Update- well it's not really any better. As much as I try to wear him out he refuses to sleep around us. I covered his crate which didn't really help. His newest thing in the crate is that he lays in his side or back and barks nonstop at the sky. It's almost like he's crying himself to sleep in a way??? Does it just take time? We have him on the same schedule every day except the weekends which we try to do more activities with him. In the crate he barks when he sees us. We still can't make any sounds or movements. Just will not relax inside or outside of the crate. Just getting frustrating trying to scarf down dinner while he's barking the entire time and I can't hear my husband talk. Should I move him to a different room? :(

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
For now just let him sleep all he wants, as he is a baby still and needs plenty of sleep. It will get better the older he gets and once he really gets settled in.