Aggressive but only at the veterinarian office

mikeyh1966

Reaction score
My frenchie is just about to turn four. She never did well at the vet office, but it's getting worse. I attempted to have her spayed a couple months ago, but they were unable to get her to succumb to the first shot and couldn't get near her to give her a second one. (The vet said she had a very good memory and a STRONG self preservation instinct.) . What had once worked to put her out no longer worked, so now there is a second problem, which is in addition to the fact that she now knows when they are coming at her with a syringe. Fortunately, they contacted Purdue University's veterinarian anesthesiology (sp?) department and have come up with a new protocol to get her to go closer to under with the first shot so they don't have to attempt a second one. And yes, even with oral tranquilizers the day before and morning of the appointment, the first injection simply won't take her down enough to proceed.

What really adds to the issue and sort of pisses me off is that they won't permit me to be in the room when they give her the injection(s). They stick by the concept that she will be worse if I am there and refuse to rethink their position on this This has proven to not be the case. I travel extensively, and she goes with me. On occasion, I have had to take her into a local vet for cytopoint injections. If I hold her, have her looking out a window with her back to the vet, they are able to sneak up and get the injection in quickly before she has a chance to respond.

Any hints to make her less vet aggressive? I really don't want to start over with a new vet and this inability for a normal injection to put her under. Does it matter if I don't get her spayed? What really concerns me is that they would be unable to see her if there was an emergency and they felt they couldn't get her put under to treat her. Additionally, and I may be thinking too far ahead, but what happens when I have to have her put down. Those are such horrible days anyway. Can you even imagine if she is fighting and aggressive on her way out? How absolutely horrible.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
If it was me, and the vet refused to let me in for the injections; I would find another vet.

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
I switched vets when I got a new puppy in December. The new vets office is a fear free certified vet. Ever since dog’s first visit, they always give him lots of cheese. If they look in his ear, he gets cheese first. Getting a shot, cheese first. Absolutely everything earns him cheese. There are also no chairs or examining tables in the room - Everyone sits on the floor. My dog absolutely loves going to the vet; I think he sees it as a cheese factory. You might want to see if there are any certified free free vets in your area.

mikeyh1966

Reaction score
I love this. My dog knows when the exam table is there, there's some crazy sh*t soon to come. I love that idea. . .fear free. I think I will look into that. Now, if I can only get my doctor to feed me cheese during my exams!

Thank you for posting your experience and suggestion.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Our vet does the sit on floor thing too when ever there is or might be fear happening.... along with treats in hand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk