Back leg hovering above the ground but doesn't seem painful

emilykbutler

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The other day I noticed that my pup was standing with one of his back legs hovering over the ground a little bit. He walks fine and is still going on long walks and it doesn't appear to hurt him at all. The first time I thought maybe his little foot just fell asleep and was a little sensitive, but it's been happening a little more often the last couple of days. It doesn't seem like his walking has changed a lot and he'll stand on that back leg when he pees and walk on it when were playing or walking. I'm just looking for some advice to see if anyone else's pup has done this or if anyone has any idea what it is, or if I should take him in to the vet if something could be wrong.

Thanks!

IMG_18F97F44BA19-1.jpegIMG_C18FE5649D18-1.jpeg

Repose

Reaction score
Could be a luxating patella where the knee sometimes pops in and out of place. There are stages 1-4 where at 1, the vet can diagnose it but it doesn’t seem to bother the dog, and stage 4 is quite bothersome and often leads to arthritis. The symptoms are the lifting of the leg. Not necessarily that but it is relatively common with the breed, but easily fixed through surgery and short recovery.

Gka

Reaction score
I agree...could be luxating patella. Yuki is 5 years old now and was born with a luxating patella. It still goes in and out every once in a while. He toe touches and skips but it resets itself. However, a couple of weeks ago it went out and was painful. The vet gave him pain meds and anti-inflammatory...the next morning he woke up like nothing ever happened. Vet said if it gets worse for a prolonged period of time and/or the meds are not helping, he may need surgery.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Going through this with Cheli right now... xrays show nothing. He is on rimadyl for three weeks and no activity. If no improvement in two weeks they want to see him again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emilykbutler

Reaction score
Took him to the vet and they said they didn't notice anything and that he's probably just being dramatic and has a small cut on his foot. I'm gonna take him back in in a week or two if it's still happening to get some X-rays and see if there's something else that could be causing it.