Breathing issues

Annabelle

Reaction score
I have two 16 month old Frenchies (brother and sister). Early on we noticed that the male had breathing problems. He had the soft palate resection and the stenotic nares repair in February. His breathing was much better; however, within the last two months he struggles to breathe when he gets excited. When he’s at home playing with his sister and he runs a lot or gets hot, he struggles, but will rest and self regulate. When he goes to doggy daycare or rides in the car he gets so out of breath that his tongue turns blue and he makes an awful wheezing sound. I have taken him to the vet, but get the “it’s just the breed” answer. He is on 10 mg of Fluoxetine daily and I have even given him CBD drops for dogs that I got from the vet. It hasn’t helped. We took him today to daycare and they called about 2 hours after he had been there and were afraid that he was going to stop breathing so I picked him up. As I said before, this has just started in the last 2 months. The heat has a lot to do with it, but his struggle to breathe happens in an air conditioned space also. Any recommendations or advice will be appreciated.

Find a bulldog experienced vet… it seems he needs more of the palate removed or something else is happening.. for a vet to blow you off saying‘it’s just the breed’. Tells me you need a second opinion and possibly a new vet

Go to Vetscapel website. They will send you a listing of vets, in your area, that use the laser scalpel. The list may show a vet that specializes in BOAS care. That's how we found our Frenchie vet. He looked at all possible issues and performed palate and tonsils removal. We asked and were able to see the x-rays and got a detailed explanation of his planned remedy.

Hi. Thanks so much for your reply. Otis had the soft palate resection and stenotic repair surgery. Took him to a new vet. He did bloodwork and x-rays and everything was normal. He prescribed pet tinc/torb elixir. Gave him a dose this morning, waited a half hour and took him to daycare and as soon as he walked in the door he started breathing fast, wheezing, “honking” and within minutes, he was throwing up and his tongue was turning blue. I am now convinced it’s psychological, maybe separation anxiety?

Hi. Thanks so much for your reply. Otis had the soft palate resection and stenotic repair surgery. Took him to a new vet. He did bloodwork and x-rays and everything was normal. He prescribed pet tinc/torb elixir. Gave him a dose this morning, waited a half hour and took him to daycare and as soon as he walked in the door he started breathing fast, wheezing, “honking” and within minutes, he was throwing up and his tongue was turning blue. I am now convinced it’s psychological, maybe separation anxiety?
Wow… absolutely could be anxiety related

Back