Food aggression?

xDanix158

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with frenchies and food aggression or protectiveness.

My frenchie is wonderful! He's trained very easily and by far the best dog I've had to date. He's 6 months old now and the only issue I'm having is with food and chewy treats.

He's trained to sit and wait till I say okay to go eat his food. While eating by himself he eats at a normal pace, but as soon as I approach he tries to inhale his food even if I'm not reaching for the bowl.

He's not growling or showing teeth. I can put my hand in his bowl no problem he just tries to eat as fast as possible. Same goes for his treats. I gave him an esophagus chew today and he was fine until I came to say hello and he tried to swallow it whole which I then had to pull it out of his mouth and take away.

Any advice to curb this would be great.

Thank you!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with frenchies and food aggression or protectiveness.

My frenchie is wonderful! He's trained very easily and by far the best dog I've had to date. He's 6 months old now and the only issue I'm having is with food and chewy treats.

He's trained to sit and wait till I say okay to go eat his food. While eating by himself he eats at a normal pace, but as soon as I approach he tries to inhale his food even if I'm not reaching for the bowl.

He's not growling or showing teeth. I can put my hand in his bowl no problem he just tries to eat as fast as possible. Same goes for his treats. I gave him an esophagus chew today and he was fine until I came to say hello and he tried to swallow it whole which I then had to pull it out of his mouth and take away.

Any advice to curb this would be great.

Thank you!

Cheli will do this with treats, always has, and he will be 10 in a few weeks. Not sure why, but he inhales treats all the time... if I come close he try’s to run off with it. Not sure if it is a trait or they are just little stinkers . For the food bowl if you feed kibble add a bit of water to slow him down , it makes them lap up the food instead of trying to gobbling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk