Fresh Dog Food Too Hard To Eat

Jstone710

Reaction score
I'm currently feeding my dog fresh premade food and I think it's great but the reason I joined this forum is because my dog laps his food into a paste that is hard and he can't eat much of it, he doesn't chomp his food. I've loosened it up with water to make it much like soup but he just laps it up until the liquid is gone and it becomes paste again. I'm going to try to puree it tonight and see if that helps. I've heard to try and thicken it up with brewers yeast too. That's my only issue at this point but it may lead me to go in another direction with his food unless someone has some advice and has had the same experience.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'm currently feeding my dog fresh premade food and I think it's great but the reason I joined this forum is because my dog laps his food into a paste that is hard and he can't eat much of it, he doesn't chomp his food. I've loosened it up with water to make it much like soup but he just laps it up until the liquid is gone and it becomes paste again. I'm going to try to puree it tonight and see if that helps. I've heard to try and thicken it up with brewers yeast too. That's my only issue at this point but it may lead me to go in another direction with his food unless someone has some advice and has had the same experience.

Dogs don’t chew their food, they almost always lick it up and swallow, so that’s normal.

Even my Frenchie, he doesn’t chew, he licks his wet food up and swallows.

I would try to maybe give him smaller amounts of it at a time and see if that helps. Also what food dish are you using??

Have you tried spreading the food in the dish, like so it’s a small amount he can lick up as he works his way around the dish?

Did he have any issues when you were cooking his homemade food before?
Only when you feed Farmers dog food?

Jstone710

Reaction score
Seems like more issues with Farmers Dog. Different consistencies as well. I'll keep trying something different for a little bit more. Then maybe back to kibble.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Seems like more issues with Farmers Dog. Different consistencies as well. I'll keep trying something different for a little bit more. Then maybe back to kibble.

Fresh food is definitely way more healthier and less health issues when you feed good food. Trust me you don’t want to end up with the amount of health issues like my Frenchie he is only 3.5 years old , he has SO many health issues that simply could’ve been prevented thru good diet, but he came home from the breeder on a lower end kibble, so that’s definitely part of why he has all these health issues.

Yes definitely consistency vary depending on the food, like I mentioned, the Raised Right human grade dog food is very good and if you want something easier for him to grab it’s good, definitely Recommend give that a try OR open farm lightly cooker, but Raised Right is even better.

Maybe try something different to see if it’s easier for him like Raised Right human grade food.

Jstone710

Reaction score
Fresh food is definitely way more healthier and less health issues when you feed good food. Trust me you don’t want to end up with the amount of health issues like my Frenchie he is only 3.5 years old , he has SO many health issues that simply could’ve been prevented thru good diet, but he came home from the breeder on a lower end kibble, so that’s definitely part of why he has all these health issues.

Yes definitely consistency vary depending on the food, like I mentioned, the Raised Right human grade dog food is very good and if you want something easier for him to grab it’s good, definitely Recommend give that a try OR open farm lightly cooker, but Raised Right is even better.

Maybe try something different to see if it’s easier for him like Raised Right human grade food.
I will look into that. Thank you.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli is the same way -- he licks his food does not chew into it. We feed raw so it is like ground meat in a sense.
I agree stay with fresh food over kibble if you can