Help! My Frenchie is a victim to allergies! (Or so we think)

Beltrana9

Reaction score
Hello! We have an absolutely adorable 1 year old Frenchie named Chubbs. This is our first and not our last, he is a very very sweet pup. Unfortunately, he is in a lot of pain due to what we think is allergies of some sort and we have no idea what to do. We are trying another vet in a couple of days, the first vet gave him some medicated shampoo, put him on a special diet, A cortisone shot, and gave him some antibiotics. He does not have an appetite, hes very sluggish some days, and his legs and arms are getting worse (see pictures). Wondering if anyone has any experience with this.. our heart is breaking for him. 502F4061-663C-4A32-84A5-46217D772792.jpegFB0FCF19-6AA4-4003-B8C2-DE372147218D.jpeg671D76D1-E7D7-4BB9-AC8D-DF60B00DBC88.jpegAF78A327-4393-48CA-8170-827099349015.jpeg

Tgirl

Reaction score
Ouch! Poor baby. My Frenchie has allergies, but her skin hasn't ever gotten infected which is what it looks like has happened to your baby. :( I am glad you are going to see someone else. He needs some relief, for sure.

Jcstorlie

Reaction score
Poor Chubbs! Yes, he does look infected and hopefully the new vet will be more proactive with him. I hope he gets some relief very soon.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Give home some probiotics while he is on the antibiotics and for a week after eg. Proviable DC, Probiotic Miracle .
Those special diets from vets are very poor nutrition, I would just switch him to a dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen Spruce Duck and Sweet Potato.
Also add some turmeric and ground pepper for absorption, and organic virgin coconut oil to his food.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any antibacterial/antifungal spray? Or you can wipe him down with some diluted povidone iodine.

It’s probably a good idea to see a new vet. I would definitely get him off the prescription food. The key will be finding out what he is allergic to/causing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! We have an absolutely adorable 1 year old Frenchie named Chubbs. This is our first and not our last, he is a very very sweet pup. Unfortunately, he is in a lot of pain due to what we think is allergies of some sort and we have no idea what to do. We are trying another vet in a couple of days, the first vet gave him some medicated shampoo, put him on a special diet, A cortisone shot, and gave him some antibiotics. He does not have an appetite, hes very sluggish some days, and his legs and arms are getting worse (see pictures). Wondering if anyone has any experience with this.. our heart is breaking for him. View attachment 11504View attachment 11505View attachment 11506View attachment 11507

What are you feeding your baby? Not knocking your vet, but most vets have little to no knowledge of nutrition and if feeding a kibble like Royal Canin, it is adding to the problem, not helping.

I would wipe him with a cool wash cloth after each outing and switch him to a one protein high quality kibble. Unless you are open to raw, which is the best solution.

Some of the best kibble we see member have great results with:

Zingnature
Orijen
Acana
Earthborn Holistic
Fromm

Beltrana9

Reaction score
UPDATE:

So we took him to a Dermatologist, she was quickly able to give somewhat of a diagnosis. She said it was an auto immune disease, possbily lupus. She did a biopsy on him and we are now waiting for the results in order to get the right plan of attack. Prayers for our Chubbs please, he is in pain. Thank you for everyones help!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

So we took him to a Dermatologist, she was quickly able to give somewhat of a diagnosis. She said it was an auto immune disease, possbily lupus. She did a biopsy on him and we are now waiting for the results in order to get the right plan of attack. Prayers for our Chubbs please, he is in pain. Thank you for everyones help!

Oh no.... sending prayers, please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk