HORRIBLE separation anxiety

Alvin

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I picked up our 9 week old, male Frenchie last week, and we've noticed that he's got really bad separation anxiety, especially in his pen/crate area. At night, he will bark and whine for 30-45 minutes, sleep for maybe an hour or two, then he's right back at it again, all throughout the night. He will also do the same thing throughout the day in his pen while my wife and I are gone at work. Since my wife works so close to our house, she has been dropping by for lunch to feed him and play with him a bit, but once she leaves, he's howling, barking, biting at the gate, jumping into it, etc. We're almost wondering if the visits are counter-productive, as he will calm down in the morning and sleep once we leave, but the visits spark the rowdy behavior.

I get that he is bored in there, but we have made a pretty great overall setup, equip with a "chew-proof" bed inside the crate (door always open), thick towels on the ground to keep him warm, 3 different toys (kong bone, kong with peanut butter smeared on the inside, and a chuck-it ball). He even has a view from the windows out back. The pen itself is large enough for a Lab, so maybe it's too big?

He is also very accustomed to his crate and seems to really enjoy being in it. When we are at home, he'll often choose to nap and/or hang out in his crate while we're watching tv. When we're home, we leave the door open to the pen that's attached to his crate to let him know he can come out as he pleases. We also feed him and play with him in the pen.

Whenever we get home, we do several different separation anxiety training sessions, including leaving the room for 10 seconds, and rewarding him when he's quiet, then adding additional time to the clock after a couple successful rounds. We also keep him with us and play with him before bedtime, so we aren't neglecting him, outside of when we can't be there in person.

I've done a lot of reading on here, and tried many of the suggestions, but he just doesn't seem to be getting any better. Any advice would be much appreciate!

Thanks!

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new family member. Sorry that I don’t have some miracle cure for you, but I can give you some other things that I have been trying dealing with puppy issues with my 15 week old puppy.

The nighttime crate issues I was able to solve by spending about 3 nights on the floor beside his crate in a sleeping bag. Now, he has no problem going to his crate at night. He even goes into his crate on command for a treat. Every once in a while, he gets fussy in there, but if I sit by his crate for a few minutes, he is better.

I have been having similar issues with my puppy, however, in the daytime. I work at home and stay with him in a cordoned off kitchen area, but if I leave, he will knock down the gate and follow me. Besides the things that you have mentioned, some things that have helped me are:
Filling the hole in a Kong ball with cooked chicken breast and freezing it overnight. It takes him a while to get through that. I also give him frozen carrots every once in a while.

I also bought a dog puzzle that he must manipulate to get treats, and that keeps him busy for about 20 minutes. ( I wouldn’t leave him alone in the house with the puzzle, so that one might not work for you.)

Anytime I must leave him alone in the house (always crated), I put on music for him. In fact, I leave music playing softly most of the day, mainly for him.

He is better, largely because he is getting older. Hang in there. I had forgotten how tough those first weeks can be with a puppy. It will get better. Post some pictures as well. I would love to see your new family member.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Congrats on your new pup. It will take time to get him used to being alone. Putting the crate next to your bed and put you hand down by the crate does help at night. Once he gets a little older and used to that you can move it away from the bed and eventually into his own room. As for the day time, coming home does help and lets him go potty outside. He will eventually get used to being by himself, but of coarse and play mate always works too. :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN and congratulations on your baby!

Along with all the great advice already suggested... also try placing a dirty tshirt in his crate so he has your scent with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alvin

Reaction score
Sorry for the slow response. We've actually had a lot of success with getting him to sleep through the night. Though it might not be ideal, we've been putting him in his pen/kennel area while we watch TV for about 10 min, then once he falls asleep, we sneak out and go to bed. It's been about 6 nights of this without any issues. He still barks and whines while we're away at work, but he's definitely improving. Thanks for all the great suggestions! Really appreciate it.