Littermate training

alittlefresh

Reaction score
Hello to everyone! I just brought 2 male littermates home 4 days ago, aged 12 weeks. They are doing well so far, but I've been reading all kinds of things on the internet about "litter syndrome" with most advising not to attempt this. They seem to be getting along really well and don't fuss when they're in the crate. I really want to get them off to the right start, so I have numerous questions if anyone can provide some good answers!

1. Should I crate them together or separately?
2. Should I walk them together or separately?
3. Feed together?
4. Have alone time with each while the other is either in the pen or crate? Should the one not being attended to have a visual or should I play with them out of site if separated?
5. Anything else I should think about or be wary of in regards to having siblings, I don't want them to get aggressive or not pay attention to me because they are obsessed with one another?
6. What signs should I look for that things are going sideways with regard to them being litter mates, if at all with this breed?

I know... a lot of questions! I just really want to do the right thing. Thanks so so much in advance.

Linda

Attachments

• 7AABA0C4-B41B-4789-A4C7-83C0FE47359D.jpeg
    7AABA0C4-B41B-4789-A4C7-83C0FE47359D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new babies...they are adorable!! I have no experience with this but some separate events might be a good thing.

cjb1975

Reaction score
I have two male littermates and read about all the same things you mentioned. We did not separate them, we walked them together, feed them together. They are in separate crates when feeding but only because they would eat the others food. They do go to the vet separately on occasion. I have seen no evidence at all of litter mate syndrome. They definitely love each other, and get upset at times when they are apart, but each of them would much rather spend time with us than each other. They are fairly obedient and are really good boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My sister has two male litter mates … GSD 100 lbs each. At age 4 they are still bonded without issue --- a lot depends on YOU as a leader.

1. separate
2. together
3. Feed together -- I always feed together, but one has to wait till the other is finished. So they see each other eat, but know when it is their turn at the bowl.
4. Play together unless you see issues begin to show

🆕 Latest posts