Paw Licking

ChrisI

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My frenchie (5yo) started licking all 4 paws excessively probably about 6 months ago. They were quite red so vet prescribed a steriod rub at the time. This worked pretty well but not perfectly but was told it wasn’t a long term solution as no infection was still present when went back to vet so was taken off it. Eventually was prescribed Apoquel after coming off the steriod cream, at this stage it was quite excessive licking again.

Apoquel worked perfectly for the 2 week trial period but as soon as lowered dosage it’s not been so effective. Have even upped the dosage slightly on advice of vet but still the same. I don’t want Her on Apoquel long term either as not heard good things about it.

Her ears seem to be bothering her a bit too now as well!

Never had any licking issues in first 4 years of her life. We have got her on dry meal only (Royal Canin - satiety) as she has very sensitive stomach and even chicken upsets it.

Anyone had similar experiences or anything I could try? Could it be the dry food causing the itch? Happy to supplement meals with something, just don’t know what. Only
thing Vet can suggest is doing full allergy testing or immunotherapy.

Thanks in advance

ChrisI

Reaction score
Should also say we tried an antihistamine too,
Made no difference though

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely start by switching to a higher quality food and adding in a probiotic. It sounds like you are dealing with yeast issues. If you want to stick with kibble, some good brands are Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Zignature, Earthborn Holistics just to name a few. Dehydrated raw is also an option and a couple brands are The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy’s. There’s also frozen raw.

In the meantime, you can do iodine paw soaks. Get some povidone iodine, dilute in some lukewarm water in the kitchen sink until the color of iced tea and then soak the paws for 5 minutes once a day. It could take awhile, but it will help.

Also, if there are environmental allergies, the Cytopoint shot is a better alternative to Apoquel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I agree- try a limited ingredient kibble for a few weeks, see if that helps, eg. Acana Duck and Pear, Zignature Duck, Earthborne Holistics Venture Duck and Pumpkin
If still licking paws try a limited ingredient dehydrated raw eg. Honest Kitchen Spruce
If still licking paws try a frozen raw.

If still having paw licking even after switching to frozen raw it's also environmental allergies. You can try Respit oral sublingual immunotherapy which doesn't require allergy testing, but it takes months to work. If you want immediate relief try the Cytopoint injections every 4-6 weeks.

ChrisI

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We did use the Royal Canin stuff on advice on our vet for weight management!

Some of these foods listed I can’t get seem to get as based in the U.K. but I’ll give it a go

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

Wrightfrenchies

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My frenchie (5yo) started licking all 4 paws excessively probably about 6 months ago. They were quite red so vet prescribed a steriod rub at the time. This worked pretty well but not perfectly but was told it wasn’t a long term solution as no infection was still present when went back to vet so was taken off it. Eventually was prescribed Apoquel after coming off the steriod cream, at this stage it was quite excessive licking again.

Apoquel worked perfectly for the 2 week trial period but as soon as lowered dosage it’s not been so effective. Have even upped the dosage slightly on advice of vet but still the same. I don’t want Her on Apoquel long term either as not heard good things about it.

Her ears seem to be bothering her a bit too now as well!

Never had any licking issues in first 4 years of her life. We have got her on dry meal only (Royal Canin - satiety) as she has very sensitive stomach and even chicken upsets it.

Anyone had similar experiences or anything I could try? Could it be the dry food causing the itch? Happy to supplement meals with something, just don’t know what. Only
thing Vet can suggest is doing full allergy testing or immunotherapy.

Thanks in advance
Hi there, we have 2 frenchies, 2 and almost 3. They have both been up and down with the paw licking. I believe it is environmental allergies. We have gone through the apoquel, benadryl and multiple others with no avail. We have altered their diet and now they have. Been on orijen 6 fix for 6 months. The licking comes and goes. Sometimes really bad and then other times goes away. My veterinarian doesn't believe it to be food related. Hope this helps to at least know your not alone. I have found that keeping them dry is the best. Wiping after they come inside.. etc.. good luck! Best wishes

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes.. it is environmental allergies—- wipe paws with cool wash cloth after coming back in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

🆕 Latest posts